• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM UXM 266
3 3

11 posts in this topic

Newbie question... I've tried reading up on spine stress marks that break color and have found conflicting examples/opinions.  I grabbed a comic from my collection that I've been meaning to have graded but had held back on due to the spine stress marks and my assumption that it would plummet from those.

If you were able to zoom in, there are 6-8 such color-breaking lines on this cover (some more obvious than others)... other potential defects aside that might not be obvious from a scan, how badly would these stress marks hurt the grade right out of the gate?

Thanks.

Uncanny X-Men - 266 - Front.jpg

Would need to see if they equally affect the back cover as well. However they’re actually pretty subtle stress marks. Therefore, if those front cover stress marks were the only defects and the book was perfect otherwise, I’d surmise you would be tapped out around a 9.0, maybe 9.2.

Edited by LDarkseid1

Sorry about that, here's the back.

One thing to point out about the front cover... it's not obvious in the scan but there are a couple of notable intentions up by/in the X-Men logo, probably cause by my thumbs/fingers when I was eagerly reading it as a kid.  I'm assuming that requesting the CCS pressing service might be worth it just to see if that helps shape up the book in any way.

Uncanny X-Men - 268 - Back042.jpg

Edited by chrisd1

A followup on this feedback - it took over a year but CGC just provided the grade on this book:  9.0

Needless to say, I was quite pleased given that it was my childhood 'reader copy.'

The stain on the back cover that people had pointed out (likely from a backing board) really spooked me but it somehow didn't completely deep-six the book.   I did have CCS do a clean/press on it and I'll be curious to see if the book looks any different when I have my hands on it.

Thanks!

On 8/24/2022 at 9:46 AM, chrisd1 said:

CGC just provided the grade on this book:  9.0

The stain on the back cover...

...I did have CCS do a clean/press on it

On 4/22/2021 at 7:51 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Yeah, that yellow staining on back cover hurts more than those ticks. 8.0-8.5. If the stains were not there, I agree with a 9.0-9.2

It's cool to know the result with the yellow stain. I don't know if the clean helped but the pressed definitely would have addressed the masthead indentations. Thanks for the follow up!