• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reholder question.
1 1

9 posts in this topic

A friend recently bought a Hulk 181. The seller stated the case was cracked and offered to have it reholdered before shipping it to him. Now it seems the book was delivered to the wrong address by FedEx and is lost... My friend is absolutely panicking and we’re trying to figure out how to locate the book.

When he called cgc they told him the book was reholdered but they also told him the serial number was different now. I was under the impression a reholder would not change the original serial number, so alarm bells started going off in my head... Am I wrong? Does a reholder give the book a new number now? Please any help would be appreciated.

When a comic is re-holdered, it usually retains the original registration number, from my experience.  I could see that NOT being the case if the grade changed at all.  CGC reserves the right to regrade a book if they think the situation warrants it (damaged in shipment, shaken comic syndrome, etc.)

When you say "When he called cgc they told him the book was reholdered", did "he" mean the seller or your friend?  If it's the seller, you are getting hearsay info from him, which doesn't mean it's not true, just not first hand.  I presume you mean the seller, because your friend is not CGC's customer and has no standing.

3 hours ago, dikran1 said:

A friend recently bought a Hulk 181. The seller stated the case was cracked and offered to have it reholdered before shipping it to him. Now it seems the book was delivered to the wrong address by FedEx and is lost... My friend is absolutely panicking and we’re trying to figure out how to locate the book.

When he called cgc they told him the book was reholdered but they also told him the serial number was different now. I was under the impression a reholder would not change the original serial number, so alarm bells started going off in my head... Am I wrong? Does a reholder give the book a new number now? Please any help would be appreciated.

Odd that this high dollar book was delivered to a wrong address; more like the wrong address was written on the package. Be wary of the “wrong address scam” where a package is shipped to an address in the same zip code so the tracking is marked as delivered. The “new number” is also a flag because if the seller used pics of another owner’s book, this could be an attempt at covering it up so you don’t dig too deep and catch them in the act. The harsh reality is that shady people exist and will do anything to make a buck. If you’re worried that this is the case, trust your gut and do what you can to fix the problem before it may be too late.

1 hour ago, lostboys said:

This has nothing to do with me so why do I feel so nervous about it?

If you buy books online, it’s something every buyer worries about. Especially when a certain amount of time has gone by, making it more difficult to get what you paid for.