• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Biggest waste of money you've ever seen spent on slabbing a book?
1 1

29 posts in this topic

I don’t have pics (I sold the slab...finally), but I bought a poly bagged Ultimate Fallout #4 before I learned how to prescreen my own books.  It came back as a 7.0.  Lesson learned...(shrug)

I put my Schomburg raw copies in them.  I also have a few raw SA Marvels in them. TTA 35,44, TOS 48,49,52, 57. Buy them cheap and they offer tremendous value for displaying books.  Once upon a time, CGC offered a $5 credit fo each returned label, which could add up pretty quickly.

People die, people get divorced, people move and stuff gets lost, people have kids and priorities change. Stuff gets stolen. On rare occasion, I truly believe comics just run away.  I never think about why a person slabs his books. 

There is a thread somewhere around here about my Aliens mini-comics; from a profit/loss perspective, probably a horrible investment. Dark Horse Comics Aliens mini’s that came packaged with the 1991-1993 Kenner Aliens toy line. I am a huge Aliens guy, so I bought MOC toys (still relatively cheap at around $30-50 each) & paid to have them pressed (they needed it as they come rolled in plastic sleeves in the toy packaging & had been there for almost 30 years), graded, and slabbed. They look great, but unfortunately I can’t show them off, as I had them slabbed...elsewhere. 

I won’t be making that mistake again. 

Anyhow, between the toys & the slabs, I’m into them for around $1,500. Probably more if/when I can convince my better half to let me re-slab them through CGC so they don’t trigger my OCD when displayed along side  my CGC slabbed Aliens books. 

50 minutes ago, BabaLament said:

There is a thread somewhere around here about my Aliens mini-comics; from a profit/loss perspective, probably a horrible investment. Dark Horse Comics Aliens mini’s that came packaged with the 1991-1993 Kenner Aliens toy line. I am a huge Aliens guy, so I bought MOC toys (still relatively cheap at around $30-50 each) & paid to have them pressed (they needed it as they come rolled in plastic sleeves in the toy packaging & had been there for almost 30 years), graded, and slabbed. They look great, but unfortunately I can’t show them off, as I had them slabbed...elsewhere. 

I won’t be making that mistake again. 

Anyhow, between the toys & the slabs, I’m into them for around $1,500. Probably more if/when I can convince my better half to let me re-slab them through CGC so they don’t trigger my OCD when displayed along side  my CGC slabbed Aliens books. 

Those Kenner Aliens books are actually pretty cool, though. And I don't think there's any other way to get high grade copies, slab or no. Worst packaging I have ever seen on pack-in comics.