• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Biggest waste of money you've ever seen spent on slabbing a book?
1 1

29 posts in this topic

Someone was showing a picture of a purple label 3.0 Batman 567. Kinda crazy for a book like that to exist and I just couldn't believe someone would slab that regardless if it was restored or not. Anyway, it got me thinking, is there a comic out there that you just couldn't believe someone would send to cgc, that you felt was a real waste of money to get slabbed?

20210414_150535.jpg

Edited by William-James88

I've slabbed a lot of books that aren't realistically worth the cost of slabbing because I want slabbed runs of them for personal reasons and am aware of the financial irrationality. That doesn't bother me. On the other hand, I am the, um, "proud" owner of an 8.5 slab of a relatively common modern book worth maybe a couple of bucks at best (Babylon 5: In Valen's Name #1) because I somehow managed to swap my 9.6/9.8 candidate copy for an undercopy with a large and obvious back cover defect. I haven't sent the good one in yet, because I'm still annoyed at myself, and because it's not like there's anything I can do with the other one...

But that's still not a 3.0 copy of Alpha Flight 33 or whatever the heck that Batman 567 is.

3 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Someone was showing a picture of a purple label 3.0 Batman 567. Kinda crazy for a book like that to exist and I just couldn't believe someone would slab that regardless if it was restored or not. Anyway, it got me thinking, is there a comic out there that you just couldn't believe someone would send to cgc, that you felt was a real waste of money to get slabbed?

20210414_150535.jpg

ummm WHAT... surely the CT was done by the guy who submitted....

I have several beginner mistake slabs

This is the only that I submitted myself

Over all the price I got it for, I'd make my money back

Yet..... it to me was still worth it, others may disagree 

But 

It beats it going in the trash, as few as there may be found in the future....  :tink:

3530852_Full_Obv.jpg

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I have several beginner mistake slabs

This is the only that I submitted myself

Over all the price I got it for, I'd make my money back

Yet..... it to me was still worth it, others may disagree 

But 

It beats it going in the trash, as few as there may be found in the future....  :tink:

3530852_Full_Obv.jpg

Along with that ASM #606

Here are some more I submitted in the same vein

Again, I paid really only about cover price for all of these raws, so I subbed them, cause I didnt exactly buy them to read.... lol

So why not sub them! 

:tink:

3530849_Full_Obv.jpg

3816421_Full_Obv.jpg

8 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

This one is nuts. Ignoring the condition, I don't even get the idea behind slabbing a book that is meant to be sketched on.

As opposed to books that were meant to be read?

Or labeling a classic GA coverless book as having a classic cover?

3 hours ago, Hairless Wookiee said:

I am the proud owner of this gem. I wanted this for the cover and it was like $25 so I picked it up.

20210420_164128.jpg

Nothing wrong with owning a book that was not worth getting slabbed, since it's not us who paid the slabbing cost :D

I do the same. Some I buy because it's what I would have paid for it raw, some I buy for the cover, some I buy to continue the idiocy, here are some of my purchases that fit each of those categories.

image.thumb.png.776b132f6ed2b115d80d2a9ac12bc668.png

image.thumb.png.bb2824c3a736ff70992a2071fbe1ec74.png

image.png.3e44784324e5925708a1196da7eefb17.png

I used to buy dirt cheap slabs in order to deslab them. Some were real headshakers.  low grade Marvel 1970s reprints, a super low grade 15 cent Daredevil, a remaindered 1970s Batman, an Alpha Flight 1 in around VG . I hope they had sentimental value to the original slabber .

Just now, shadroch said:

I used to buy dirt cheap slabs in order to deslab them. Some were real headshakers.  low grade Marvel 1970s reprints, a super low grade 15 cent Daredevil, a remaindered 1970s Batman, an Alpha Flight 1 in around VG . I hope they had sentimental value to the original slabber .

Well, if they had sentimental value, why arent they still in their collection? 

Joking aside, I am curious, why would you deslab them? Wouldnt they at last be worth a tiny bit more in the slab. I've seen unknowing fans buy random cheap slabs at shows simply for the effect of the slab. Like a frame for an interesting cover.