• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sacramento comic shops/boardies
1 1

49 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

Scientist: We'll call them Zombie Bees.

Me: Like two words?  Zombie.  Bees.  Not...Zombees?  :pullhair:

You get stung by radio active Zombee and bingo-you get the useless power to eat BRAINS.

Ps this thread not meant to be morbid-I am healthy and will most likely live a long time.  Nothing wrong with planning tho.  I've seen what happens when ya dont.  My poor brother died at his computer while we were discussiung GOTG movie.  He did not plan for this and his ex wife got everything-his daughter got nothing.  

10 minutes ago, kav said:

Ps this thread not meant to be morbid-I am healthy and will most likely live a long time.  Nothing wrong with planning tho.  I've seen what happens when ya dont.  My poor brother died at his computer while we were discussiung GOTG movie.  He did not plan for this and his ex wife got everything-his daughter got nothing.  

With the recent rise in book values, I've decided it's time to plan for the future myself.  I'm basically planning to write an explanation of my collection, definitions of the hobby, how best to sell the collection, and which books meant the most to me and I would wish for my next of kin to keep in memory of me.  I'll email that out to my immediate family and then put a copy inside my estate/trust binder.  By and large the list will primarily focus on my keys and their last reported values and the best paths to liquidating the collection.  The last thing I would want is for my family to come in and just sell the whole collection (slabbed keys and all) to a comic shop for pennies on the dollar.  (For example, I saw on reddit the other day someone posted they bought an ASM #300 for $5 at a flea market because the lady was too lazy to look up book values.)

2 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

With the recent rise in book values, I've decided it's time to plan for the future myself.  I'm basically planning to write an explanation of my collection, definitions of the hobby, how best to sell the collection, and which books meant the most to me and I would wish for my next of kin to keep in memory of me.  I'll email that out to my immediate family and then put a copy inside my estate/trust binder.  By and large the list will primarily focus on my keys and their last reported values and the best paths to liquidating the collection.  The last thing I would want is for my family to come in and just sell the whole collection (slabbed keys and all) to a comic shop for pennies on the dollar.  (For example, I saw on reddit the other day someone posted they bought an ASM #300 for $5 at a flea market because the lady was too lazy to look up book values.)

Exactly my point.  If i leave to boardie they will know what to do-anyone else will need explicit instructions.  No selling my 3 copies of FF annual 6 to LCS for $5 bucks-

16 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

That's why scientists are never asked to come up with movie titles.

They wear them glasses with the flat lenses tho-
"Hello I'm a chemist in a movie. I'm always surrounded by glassware filled with colorful fluids. Even tho anyone who goes to a real lab will see clear or brown fluids almost exclusively-"

Sorry to hear your situation, I just lost my father a few weeks ago and agree you need to get something written and in place as soon as possible.  I'm down in San Jose and would recommend you basically treat them like a trust and select a trustee to sell the books on your behalf and distribute the funds (or books) as you seem fit.  If you would like my local recommendation for a great LCS owner in the Bay Area, PM me as I'm not sure he would want it to be posted publicly.  Also, once the Con's come back I'm planning to set up some board get togethers ahead of (and after) the Cons to meet, get a bite to eat and share some of the spoils found.

Kav, I'm all the way in Alabama, and I don't know you nearly as well as some others here, but I promise I do not dislike you. Currently I'm 54 and don't have any serious health problems, and all I have is time. I would be glad to relieve your family (or whoever) of the burden of disposing of your comics. If it's weighing on you, just remember you have me as an option. Unless I die in the meantime or my health declines badly, I will be able to handle it personally or hire competent people to get them to me. I enjoy going through collections looking at the books and organizing anyway.