• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well... I guess that's one way to speed up grading
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Was going through eBay looking for Turtles stuff and saw this.  

s-l1600-4.thumb.jpg.4412927abe903b857993a6301ca3d808.jpg

Apparently since CBCS does not do magazine size this is their solution to catching some sweet sweet Turtles Money.  Throw the book in a mylar, slap a label on it, and put some stickers on the back.  Has anyone seen this before?  What's to stop me from slitting the bottom, pulling out the book, and then reseal it?

They offer the service for people who don't want it slabbed, costs a bit less.  Not just magazines, any comic.  It's usually utilized for low value books that the economics of slabbing don't quite make sense.  This would not fit that description.

It has some tamper-evident features, but not like a slabbed book.  So if you are considering a book in raw grading, you would want to examine the packaging carefully to see if there are any signs of tampering or substitution.

That's why it works well for low cost items.  More time and trouble to tamper with it than the item may be worth.

On 4/21/2021 at 3:01 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Was going through eBay looking for Turtles stuff and saw this.  

s-l1600-4.thumb.jpg.4412927abe903b857993a6301ca3d808.jpg

Apparently since CBCS does not do magazine size this is their solution to catching some sweet sweet Turtles Money.  Throw the book in a mylar, slap a label on it, and put some stickers on the back.  Has anyone seen this before?  What's to stop me from slitting the bottom, pulling out the book, and then reseal it?

Nothing stops you. It is in a mylar, so resealing this might be a bit more visible. Basically something like this just makes folks feel more comfortable with the grade and resto. Same seller reputation, same apparent scans, whose book would a buyer have more confidence in? It is a $10 or $15 service depending on the book, so folks buying will feel more comfortable taking the book out.

Of course, the problem is, I might feel like a certain ebayer is not a scammer who would do a switcheroo, but how do I know if they bought the book from someone who is a scammer?