• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #20 most likely a 0.5... a few questions...
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I found a wartime Cap issue that I've had interest in for a while as I've been keeping a list of potential issues I could acquire. Obviously on first glance it is pretty beat up but... as I am not necessarily buying a book strictly for it's condition, it doesn't bother me as much. It features a great Syd Shores wartime cover of Cap socking it to our Axis foes and a scene that's not to shabby with bright colors and the characters seemingly coming through the page. I know that Schomburg covers are the way that many have advised me to go but this one seems like it could hold it's own based on the subject matter alone.

After reaching out to CGC I was told that it would most likely grade at a 0.5 due to the damage and detached cover but the limit is 1.5. So if I were I to buy this I would most likely get it graded and encapsulated strictly for protection, preservation and authenticity.

My question is what would you pin on this as far as a fair value range or price? I know comics are jumping and as a college student the price seems high but I feel that at some point I may just have to jump off into the deep end and pull the trigger as I have missed out on a few good issues and deals already by waiting.

Also, I noticed some penciled letters on the "M" in the "Captain America" title on the cover, silly question but could that be a pedigree? I started reading into them and thought they were interesting and the writing on this issue looked curious.

As always, thanks so much. Everyone's help and knowledge is always greatly appreciated!

Jake

169122140_499530014745936_1358059705217012758_n.jpg

Cap pedigree?.jpg

Edited by SkoBuffs99

21 hours ago, SkoBuffs99 said:

Hi all,

I found a wartime Cap issue that I've had interest in for a while as I've been keeping a list of potential issues I could acquire. Obviously on first glance it is pretty beat up but... as I am not necessarily buying a book strictly for it's condition, it doesn't bother me as much. It features a great Syd Shores wartime cover of Cap socking it to our Axis foes and a scene that's not to shabby with bright colors and the characters seemingly coming through the page. I know that Schomburg covers are the way that many have advised me to go but this one seems like it could hold it's own based on the subject matter alone.

After reaching out to CGC I was told that it would most likely grade at a 0.5 due to the damage and detached cover but the limit is 1.5. So if I were I to buy this I would most likely get it graded and encapsulated strictly for protection, preservation and authenticity.

My question is what would you pin on this as far as a fair value range or price? I know comics are jumping and as a college student the price seems high but I feel that at some point I may just have to jump off into the deep end and pull the trigger as I have missed out on a few good issues and deals already by waiting.

Also, I noticed some penciled letters on the "M" in the "Captain America" title on the cover, silly question but could that be a pedigree? I started reading into them and thought they were interesting and the writing on this issue looked curious.

As always, thanks so much. Everyone's help and knowledge is always greatly appreciated!

Jake

169122140_499530014745936_1358059705217012758_n.jpg

Cap pedigree?.jpg

The thing with most pedigrees is the books from them were high grade. Now, definitely could be possible that certain pedigrees once has books that were sold off during the owner's lifetime and passed through hands and became damaged...possible, but less likely. Plus eve if a collector had another copy and sold this one, it likely would have went to another collector and maintained strong condition. Combine this with the fact that the markings don't match any existing pedigrees and what you have is just grease pencil marks.

You would be surprised how often collectors would mark their books in some way. I have seen lots, including a lady who used a stamp of a girl and a dog on the inside cover of her comics to denote them as hers. It was common back in the day....so while not a pedigree, the markings were probably used on other comics the owner of this book waay back once had. 

I appreciate everyone’s comments thus far, it is greatly appreciated. Obviously no one knows what the future holds for comics but I am curious if for $650 this comic is a decent investment or a risk? I’m not necessarily buying to make a profit and I really enjoy the cover on this issue, however it would be nice to know I’m not getting something that will find it’s price cut in half later down the road. Should I have to, I’d at least like to recoup the $650 that this comic may require, whether it be next year or 20+ years in the future. I’m leaning towards yes, it will command a higher price in the far off future but may possibly drop if I am looking into the near future. Any opinions are most welcomed!

Edited by SkoBuffs99

2 minutes ago, Bob Troub said:

Super low grade comics don't appreciate like higher grades.....if you are buying this purely as an investment, spend your money on nicer issues....9.6..9.8's appreciate.....0.5's can be tough......

In this very active market, and having very aggressively participated in the Golden age auctions of all the majors, Connect, Heritage, and Link, over the past month, the "investment" grade bar is much lower than 9.6 and 9.8 for Golden age Timelys. Especially Captain America Comics. I'm seeing War and post war G.A. Caps in the 2.0 and up range, unrestored and restored, selling for what 1 year ago I would have considered being insane prices. And the proportions of increase from low low to high grade seem euqivalent, a 2.0 increasing from $1000 to $2000, a 6.0 increasing from $2500 to $5000 and more, and the high end 9.0 and better similarly proportioned. 

If you could get a good price, I would buy it. 

It may not grow like higher grade copies, but if WWII Cap is your goal, that's not a cheap proposition and I don't think it will be getting any cheaper.  

The colors look great. There are pieces missing, but it presents well for a low grade.

Make sure it's complete, handle it with great care, and enjoy. You'll never get tired looking at it. 

Good luck!!