• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Discussion About How CGC Label Non-US Publications Which Reprint / Reproduce Original US Comic Content
10 10

480 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, steve566 said:

I think CGC had to decide which direction they were going to go with foreign comics and decided on a “cover approach” rather than the “guts approach”. I’m heavily involved with foreign comic collectors and can say for a fact that some are outraged by the new labels and others love them. I think CGC still has a ways to go but they are at least trying to do SOMETHING with foreign Editions. I think by using the cover approach they are making it much easier to search the census for foreign books since all you have to do is type “Spiderman 300” and you see all of the different countries publishers in one place. Is the information 100% accurate, no.. but it’s a start. I’ll include pictures of my slabbed foreigns so you can see more new labels

:sick:

That's terrible.

Well someone posted about something I have direct knowledge of so I was just trying to help; people like you are the reason I don’t post in these boards often...and don’t worry I’m not selling anything there’s to much future potential; everything I own I’m holding... but since you brought up sales; check out how much some of these worthless reprints are selling for lately!!

1D56108D-29EA-4D50-AA8C-BEC1ABC3141B.jpeg

2ACD207C-E7A9-44FA-B38F-981397FAAA3D.jpeg

653B8C71-D450-422E-AD5E-02ED7814E3BC.jpeg

74979B06-B9BC-4868-8A4A-3A446E0D2612.jpeg

F4240ABA-90D7-43B2-AFBE-292CC7AE57FC.jpeg

7259DA3C-364E-49AD-8BF6-5FE32C5EAFFC.jpeg

09345DFD-AAB6-4B9F-904F-0E8D534D9CCA.jpeg

I have a handful of more recent foreign reprints in for grading now, and I'm interested to see what labels they come back with...

For my part, I think these books should get the local title (where possible; I'm not sure CGC labeling is prepared for titles with different alphabets), local publisher, and actual publication date. A note indicating where the material (and cover, if different) first appeared does seem appropriate though.

16 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

I have a handful of more recent foreign reprints in for grading now, and I'm interested to see what labels they come back with...

For my part, I think these books should get the local title (where possible; I'm not sure CGC labeling is prepared for titles with different alphabets), local publisher, and actual publication date. A note indicating where the material (and cover, if different) first appeared does seem appropriate though.

Awesome, I love the modern foreign books too.. just curious what did you submit? So many amazing variant covers that were used overseas. I had planned to submit a batch of modern foreigns but I may wait a bit and send some other older books in 1st before the prices go up

11 minutes ago, steve566 said:

Awesome, I love the modern foreign books too.. just curious what did you submit? So many amazing variant covers that were used overseas. I had planned to submit a batch of modern foreigns but I may wait a bit and send some other older books in 1st before the prices go up

German convention edition of EverQuest: Ruins of Kunark and the full run of the German publication of Black Hole (5 and 6 won't be back forever because they need a press due to some corner stress, sadly).

The EverQuest book uses the same Jim Lee cover as the US original, but was a limited run of 999 copies sold at Erlangen. It's a weird book I never expected to own a copy of, but instead I wound up with one that has a real shot at 9.8. Reprodukt's edition of Black Hole reprinted the 12 volume series in 6 double size books, and did... odd cover tweaks. Several of the issues had the title re-styled in different fonts or colors, and #1 used the cover from the original #7 because reasons?

6 minutes ago, Duh Duh Duh said:

This is an excellent example of what I'm talking about. You get all butthurt if someone calls them reprints, as if that's a bad thing, as if editions makes you more erudite. All it does is betray your low self-esteem as you project onto others. I can tell this because you have to show me the value of these - but guess what, I never said they were worthless and I didn't bring up sales. That's all you fanboy.

🙄, 3 accounts in 1 day, your busy... thanks for reminding me why I don’t post on these boards ✌️ 

Very cool, think I saw your post over on the foreign comic thread... good luck with the grades and hope they get the labels right

Just now, Qalyar said:

German convention edition of EverQuest: Ruins of Kunark and the full run of the German publication of Black Hole (5 and 6 won't be back forever because they need a press due to some corner stress, sadly).

The EverQuest book uses the same Jim Lee cover as the US original, but was a limited run of 999 copies sold at Erlangen. It's a weird book I never expected to own a copy of, but instead I wound up with one that has a real shot at 9.8. Reprodukt's edition of Black Hole reprinted the 12 volume series in 6 double size books, and did... odd cover tweaks. Several of the issues had the title re-styled in different fonts or colors, and #1 used the cover from the original #7 because reasons?

8 minutes ago, steve566 said:

Very cool, think I saw your post over on the foreign comic thread... good luck with the grades and hope they get the labels right

I think the labeling is a lot more prone to CGC weirdness on the older foreign material reprinting SA books. Although if they try to go with a strict "number is based on US title covers", then we'll have a problem with the Reprodukt Black Hole run (not least of which is because that would put them out of order).

I'm pretty sure I'm not getting 9.8s on the Black Hole 5 and 6. Reprodukt originally issued these books singly, then after all 6 were available, also sold a slipcased complete set (as best as I can tell, there's nothing distinguishing slipcase copies from the single releases). Anyway, the last two books apparently sustained some corner damage during the slipcase packaging. I think the worst of it will press out fine especially for #5 (hoping to squeak a 9.6 post press), but I'm not going to leave the run hanging over the cost of the #6 slab, hunting for a nicer copy that I might not find. We'll see how it goes.

I also own a full run of the Spanish version of Midnight Nation. Unfortunately, they're nowhere near a grade I'd be willing to slab, notwithstanding the fact that Midnight Nation isn't a financially-appropriate book to submit in the best of times (my graded run-in-progress is for personal reasons). Frankly, between Spanish Midnight Nation and Spanish Black Hole, I've got a lot of real beaters. I don't know if they're just harder on comics in Spain, of if the tough love copies are all that emerge from local collections.

I find not labeling the books there original titles ridiculous I don’t want to send of foreign books and have them labelled as originals because you don’t want to upset the person by calling there book a reprint I’d rather have a mighty world of marvel 198 what’s labelled that and reprint of hulk 181 as written on the case then hulk 181 first appearance of Wolverine your just lying to the owner by mislabelling it and also altering the numbers in the census 

10 minutes ago, Tghutcn said:

I find not labeling the books there original titles ridiculous I don’t want to send of foreign books and have them labelled as originals because you don’t want to upset the person by calling there book a reprint I’d rather have a mighty world of marvel 198 what’s labelled that and reprint of hulk 181 as written on the case then hulk 181 first appearance of Wolverine your just lying to the owner by mislabelling it and also altering the numbers in the census 

Weird thing is with UK books they keep the original title.. so if you do submit it shouldn’t say Hulk 181. The inconsistency is definitely strange.. another thing we have found out is that magazine sized comics will still have the old style label (Title from other country) ... so the change has only effected comic sized books.

I'm actually submitting my Mighty world of marvel 198 and both Spanish La Masa’s soon so we shall see how it pans out

9 minutes ago, steve566 said:

Weird thing is with UK books they keep the original title.. so if you do submit it shouldn’t say Hulk 181. The inconsistency is definitely strange.. another thing we have found out is that magazine sized comics will still have the old style label (Title from other country) ... so the change has only effected comic sized books.

I'm actually submitting my Mighty world of marvel 198 and both Spanish La Masa’s soon so we shall see how it pans out

That’s just weird and confuses the matter even more with all other foreign reprints being labelled the same as there Us count apart apart from the uk marvels what means if they where just labelling them all the same to skip corners and save time they would do the same with the uk marvels 

I sent an email to Matt Nelson with a link to this thread and he replied that he would read it as soon as he could. With all that is going on I can only imagine what his inbox must look like, so the fact that he replied at all is encouraging. I don't for one minute think that he - or whoever is leading the change - is unaware of the implications of it, but if he does read it, and the labelling strategy change goes ahead / is formally announced, at least we will know that it was with our objections duly noted at senior level. 

If you're reading Matt, hello :hi:

15 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

I look forward to seeing the next change in labeling:

equivalent.jpg.aced749d7158bb68d45cba65ed3f3d4c.jpg

I wonder if "U.S. Edition" would be "technically" correct under their current label system for a US reprint of a book first published in another country? I can't think of any such books off the top of my head, but I'm sure there is one somewhere. 

Actually, Diabolik #1 (Scorpion Productions) is a digest-sized book that reprints, in English, the Italian-language Diabolik v35 #8. So it seems possible... But I bet that's not how they'd label it if anyone submitted one for grading.

7 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

I look forward to seeing the next change in labeling:

equivalent.jpg.aced749d7158bb68d45cba65ed3f3d4c.jpg

But the U.S. edition of what group? That suggests there's another version out there, in the group. You're not the Canadian edition of Lazyboy, are you? :shy:

Oh, and if it's dual priced, it should say the U.S./U.K. edition, no? :shy: :shy:

I can't wait to see what label shenanigans my German reprints of Black Hole (the Charles Burns indie, not the Disney film adaptation) get. The 12-issue US run was reprinted as 6 double sized issues in German by Reprodukt. My submission that includes 1-4 just moved to SFG (5 and 6 will be months later, as they required pressing to attempt correction of a defect caused by poor original distributor shipping).

Obviously, label info is likely to change once they're actually graded. But right now, in SFG, the status for them lists:

• "Black Hole 1 3/95 Kitchen Sink Press". NOPE! That would be the correct label for the original US #1.
  • "Black Hole 2 5/80 Whitman". HAHA NOPE! That's the series based on the Disney film.
  • "Germany Black Hole 3 2000 Randlecourt Printers". We were doing so well, until the printer. Randlecourt was a mid-60s British reprint publisher, probably associated with Thorpe & Porter, best known for their two issues of Batman Album with a gloriously mis-colored Batman costume (bright red with a yellow cowl).
  • "Germany Black Hole 4 2002 Reese Publishing Co.". Sigh. Also correct until the publisher. Reese was primarily a 60s-70s men's magazine publisher, best known for Man's Book and Real Combat Stories.

Four books. Four different wrong ways to list them during SFG. I'll revisit this once we see what the grading lottery does with them...

Edited by Qalyar
Fixing stupid autocorrect

18 hours ago, Qalyar said:

Four books. Four different wrong ways to list them during SFG. I'll revisit this once we see what the grading lottery does with them...

Keep us posted. I never heard back from Matt - will send a chaser.