• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 15...Clean and press worthy?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Wondering what you clean and press pros think is possible with this book? I feel like the back could clean up greatly but am unsure if it would affect the overall grade. Here are the notes:

-light staining to cover

-moderate bends to cover

-moderate spine stress lines to cover

-multiple tear spine breaks colour

asm13back.jpg

asm15front.jpg

56 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

It will look better, but I'm unsure of whether or not that will merit an increase to its grade.

This is what I was leaning towards. The fading hurts it plus the severity of those "tear spine breaks" might mean 3.0 is where it falls regardless of a clean to the back cover (and front) and a press. 

48 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

This is what I was leaning towards. The fading hurts it plus the severity of those "tear spine breaks" might mean 3.0 is where it falls regardless of a clean to the back cover (and front) and a press. 

I'm surprised the notes didn't mention the color fade to the cover and what appears to be heavy rust to the staples---major flaws which definitely impact the grade.

A C & P could help, but I think the book would still end up somewhere in the lower VG range...  :sorry:

5 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I'm surprised the notes didn't mention the color fade to the cover and what appears to be heavy rust to the staples---major flaws which definitely impact the grade.

A C & P could help, but I think the book would still end up somewhere in the lower VG range...  :sorry:

At best.  The book looks like it was completely wet at one time.  I'd leave it as is.  2c

5 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Yeah I'm surprised by the omission of the fading as well--to me that is the biggest flaw. It may have happened while the book was in the case.

A press will help with the waviness from moisture damage but I don't see a huge grade bump due to the big flaws that can't be fixed from a press.

21 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

.  :sorry:

+1  Absolutely. The colors and well-weathered condition of the paper will still relegate this to 3.0, whether pancaked or still somewhat fluffy. I'd leave it and use the money to press and resub a better suited candidate with a better expense to outcome potential.   

Edited by James J Johnson

On 4/25/2021 at 2:15 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Wondering what you clean and press pros think is possible with this book? I feel like the back could clean up greatly but am unsure if it would affect the overall grade. Here are the notes:

-light staining to cover

-moderate bends to cover

-moderate spine stress lines to cover

-multiple tear spine breaks colour

asm13back.jpg

asm15front.jpg

Go for it! You never know what can happen.

Pressing would certainly make the book more appealing, especially the back cover. This could translate into more interested collectors and perhaps more being spent on it. If the grade remained the same the question is would the money spent by a collector for the better looking 3.0 be more than enough to cover the cost of grading?

Edited by PovertyRow
clarification