• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Power Girl's origin : Spoiler Speculation

26 posts in this topic

Do you think they will go with the simplest origin that this is the pre-Crisis Power Girl? Having all these retconned origins and convuluted takes on Green Arrow, Hawkman, and GL, I would think it would be refreshing this is the pre-Crisis PG and she is causing a major rif in the known DC universe. Of all the possible theories, this one seems like the least complicated and makes the most sense. It does make for one of the cliched formes of sci-fi storytelling, namely, the character is not supposed to be here so it's messing up the universe, but it actually makes sense for this particular character.

She was the Earth 2 Kara Zor-L, the Golden Age Superman's cousin. I like the idea that she is still the Earth-2 version of Supergirl, now a refugee from a place that no longer exists.

I also really have enjoyed the way Johns has played around with all the on-line speculation about his upcoming Power Girl retcon: she's from the Legion of Super-Heroes, no she's an offspring of the Crime Syndicate of Qward, no she's the future daughter of Superboy and Wonder Girl, no she's...

...maybe who she started out as originally?

I definitely like the idea that the post-Crisis reality has been trying to make sense of Power Girl - the different backgrounds are the way that it has been trying to absorb her into the fabric of the new reality.

It does make sense as to why Power Girl and Supergirl had such an odd effect on one another.

At the retailer's summit (I wasn't there) people were apparantly told that Infinite Crisis is actually a DIRECT sequel to Crisis on Infinite Earths not just a really "bad day" for the post-Crisis DCU. This sure seems to be one way to do that. I sure hope this doesn't mean the return of the multiverse (I like that the JSA is in the same timeline as the JLA and not from a different universe.

At the retailer's summit (I wasn't there) people were apparantly told that Infinite Crisis is actually a DIRECT sequel to Crisis on Infinite Earths not just a really "bad day" for the post-Crisis DCU.

I hope this actually reboots the DCU like Crisis was supposed to do. DC made the mistake of picking and choosing which histories and stories were valid. I always thought it was odd they remember the sattelite era JLA, but it never happened in the current DCU. If Barry Allen died in the Crisis, then nobody should even remember he existed. If you are going to have a clean slate, you don't try to incorporate past history. It causes another Crisis miniseries to fix what the intended purpose of the first one was supposed to be.

I agree, they kind of stepped back in mid-stream in 1986. The motto seems to have been that the old DCU events happened, just not the way you remember them. There was a Satellite-era JLA and it was pretty much as is it was originally published - just remove any references to Earth-2 and characters like Wonder Woman whose timelines were altered. Barry Allen existed pre-Crisis and post-Crisis, but after Crisis his past was re-written to suit the merged timelines.

The History of the DCU mini-series is still 95% correct in how it details the new timeline at that time, post-Crisis. What they should have done is remain true to that instead of continuing to reboot characters afterwards (like Hawkman in Hawkworld).

Obviously the powers that be were afraid of a true restart and weren't certain as to what a revised timeline actually meant.

And they are at it again in 2005... I don't hear anything about rebooting the DCU completely as a result of Infinite Crisis. The storylines I've been quoted for the post-"year jump" DCU all spin out of the current titles and storylines.

That being said.... it's actually time that the DC characters learn that something a little more than that the attack by the Anti-Monitor happened (in the Crisis) and learn that there was a multi-verse that was destroyed to encompass the new timeline they currently reside in. As Psycho-Pirate says "worlds lived, worlds died" and yet only he remembers what it was like before.... maybe he won't be the only one.

Then again, maybe all this means is that the Anti-Monitor is coming back.

Are we thinking there won't be a Wonder Woman after Inifinite Crisis? Or that she dies during and Donna Troy becomes the new Wonder Woman?

My lips are sealed.

Except that I don't think anyone is safe except maybe Green Lantern.

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, etc. Replacement is possible for any one of them... maybe more...

Are we thinking there won't be a Wonder Woman after Inifinite Crisis? Or that she dies during and Donna Troy becomes the new Wonder Woman?

My lips are sealed.

Except that I don't think anyone is safe except maybe Green Lantern. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, etc. Replacement is possible for any one of them... maybe more...

Tell us what you know!!! sumo.gif

please flowerred.gif

Joker--

One of the ones I mentioned will definitely be replaced by a successor when we get back "one year later".

One of the ones I mentioned may get replaced by a mentor, during the Crisis.

Two of the ones I mentioned will not change at all, or they may also be replaced by successors. One is more likely to be replaced than the other.

One of the ones I mentioned will definitely be replaced by a successor when we get back "one year later".

Wonder Woman

One of the ones I mentioned may get replaced by a mentor, during the Crisis.

Flash

Two of the ones I mentioned will not change at all, or they may also be replaced by successors. One is more likely to be replaced than the other.

Bats and Supes - neither will be replaced though.

How'd I do? confused-smiley-013.gif

If they go the route of replacing characters with their succesors, I don't think that will take. In a couple of years, that will be undone. As superhero fans, we like our heroes in a state of limbo. They whould always be young,vibrant, and in their mid 20 twenties to thirties. I personally don't have a problem with reboots that take classics and put them in the modern world. The Ultimate line is Marvel's Earth 2.

I may be wrong, but I just don't see the replacements lasting too long if it involves the Big 3 and it will likely lead to a big summer event of the return of the original.

If one of the Big 3 gets replaced it's definitely going to be a temporary event. The ride will be getting them back in the proper spot.

However, I've always felt that DC did the correct thing in the post-Crisis universe by making their characters inter-generational - with the exception of the Big 3 - who are essentially immortal.

If one of the Big 3 gets replaced it's definitely going to be a temporary event. The ride will be getting them back in the proper spot.

However, I've always felt that DC did the correct thing in the post-Crisis universe by making their characters inter-generational - with the exception of the Big 3 - who are essentially immortal.

I like that too. However, that does set up continuity problems all it's own in relation to the big three. It's the price of having characters over 60 years old. Personally, I prefer them to be timeless. They are never IN, so they are never OUT. Characters around them can change, but they do not.

Sure, but Superman and Wonder Woman are essentially immortal characters so the world CAN evolve around them. Batman on the other hand, being a human, will eventually grow old and die.

There is the option of digging up lazarus pits and going in that direction (which was used in the "imaginary stories" by John Byrne entitled Batman & Superman: Generations), but that does add an element that is incongruous to the character's basic elements. But hey, Burroughs did it with Tarzan and his supporting cast, so it's not unheard of for writers to come up with a method of making their characters immortal if the audience is still interested in seeing them fresh and young in modern settings without compromising the shown history.

As history will show, if one or all of the Big 3 are replaced, the original will return. Everyone should remember that these characters are licensed out and are in cartoons and, DC, being the licensing machine it is, won't allow its characters to change too radically. Look at what happened with Aquaman a few years back. He dies, then licensing pitches a fit and DC scrambles to resurrect him. They brought back Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman (remember, she died in the Crisis) and now we've got Supergirl back from the dead. Superboy, too.

Wally West Flash never has caught on, in my opinion, even though he's been wearing the red and gold for nearly two decades. Geoff Johns came closest with his run and actually made me care about Wally and his wife, but still, we'd all rather see Barry Allen racing around saving lives.

Of course, I'd also like to see Carmine Infantino drawing Flash again and Cary Bates writing his adventures, but that'll probably never happen...

I do think we'll see Barry Allen back in the red and gold. It was a mistake in the first place to kill him off and try to replace him with Kid Flash.

Nightwing replacing Batman for a year would drum up some sales so I can see that happening. But, like I said earlier, all these changes are temporary.

Green Lantern, with all the work they put into resurrecting him, I'd say, is completely safe. I hope Hawkman is safe, too. Green Arrow, safe. Black Canary, safe. Zatanna, safe.

I read somewhere that Starfire might not be safe. That'd suck, since she's one of the most physically striking characters (she's got a great look and I'm not talking about how revealing her costume is) created in the DCU in three decades.

I'm excited to see what DC does with Blue Beetle and the Atom. Who thinks Booster Gold will take Ted Kord's place as BB?

Hey, if they make Ted Kord the new Spectre host, will he have the big Beetle on his chest like Hal Jordan still had his Green Lantern symbol?

Did anyone ask for an explanation for why Superman et al could have fought in WWII and still be around today? Did we really need a convoluted "alternate universe" story just to introduce a couple of old Charlton characters?

Why does it all have to be one big continuous universe? It's not like they stick to any continuity for very long anyway.