• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 9/4/2021 at 3:48 PM, UncleBEN said:

While I agree with you, neither of these would be acceptable for a keeper for me. As there are so many copies of these issues, I only look for a perfect wrap vertically and horizontally. The right side copy is the lesser of two evils but that slanted top edge would not work for me personally . Although sometimes we have to settle ;P 

238cgc98.thumb.jpg.3b5ccea4432cbb12d98ffc71d3a3b1e4.jpg

I would have to 100% agree with you on this book, especially with the key phrase you used: "As there are so many copies of these issues."  In addition, this book is not WHITE pages, which would be a must for me for any comic from the 1980s, when knowledge of preservation was more widespread and Mylars were abundant. 

That said, if the book was from the early Bronze Age (1970-75), I would consider this acceptable centering, especially when factoring in scarcity and less consistent spine wrapping at the time.

On 9/4/2021 at 1:22 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Yup

White pages and perfect QP allowed me ignore the nosebleed prices of 9.6/9.8s bronze books and collect 9.4 very happily 

I've done the exact same thing -- opted for lower Bronze age grades with W pages & Centering vs a higher grade (and price) on a 9.6-9.8 OW/W with a miswrap.

I'm perfectly fine settling for a lower grade with nice presentation.

On 9/2/2021 at 5:58 PM, djzombi said:

Wow, some HUGE (e.g. 30%) drops here...!

yikes

Yes, although I believe some of these would appear to be measured against outlier one-time sales like that CGC 9.8 copy of Spidey 129.  (shrug)

In addition to the 90-day average, would be good to see how prices are against a 1-year time frame to get a better picture for the collectors. (thumbsu

On 9/5/2021 at 7:34 PM, Spawnfreak said:
On 5/2/2021 at 2:54 PM, lou_fine said:

WTF:  But I just won Transformers 1 last month for a paltry $44K, expecting it to continue climbing to 6-figures before the end of this year. :frustrated: :mad:  :censored:

Which Transformers 1?

Why, thank you, kind Sir....................this book here, but only the super super rare CGC 1.5 graded copy which is the single lowest graded copy by a long shot out of almost 4,000 graded and slabbed copies out there already:  :luhv:  :takeit:

Modern Age (1980-Present):Superhero, Transformers #1 Newsstand Edition (Marvel, 1984) CGC NM+ 9.6 White pages....

None of that common as dirt CGC 9.4 to CGC 9.9 graded copies of this book where there are already well over 2,000 copies in those easy to find overcrowded nosebleed grades.  :p  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/4/2021 at 3:48 PM, UncleBEN said:

While I agree with you, neither of these would be acceptable for a keeper for me. As there are so many copies of these issues, I only look for a perfect wrap vertically and horizontally. The right side copy is the lesser of two evils but that slanted top edge would not work for me personally . Although sometimes we have to settle ;P 

238cgc98.thumb.jpg.3b5ccea4432cbb12d98ffc71d3a3b1e4.jpg

The interior cover has perfect centering though!  :baiting: