• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,330 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2021 at 6:18 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Missed that… what issue numbers are we talking about?

Some were more blowout than others...63, 83, 91,107 with a few other PFs, 124 (9,600), 128 come to mind. Pretty much all of them were through the roof. From a few Ditkos to ~mid bronze. A few were not there like #1, 122, 129, 300

There might of been some copper mixed in there I didn't even check those. 

Edited by MGsimba77

On 9/11/2021 at 11:31 PM, alexgross.com said:

if you beleive that heritage auctions results are real, then today says the market is hotter than even a few months ago. many unreal silver age results there. personally i'm very skeptical given all the recent news about their alleged practices like bidding on and buying their own stuff. but clearly it cannot all be rigged either. 

Excellent point.  I would think at least some of these could be real.  Regardless, if you're selling, you're happy. 

On 9/12/2021 at 12:31 AM, alexgross.com said:

if you beleive that heritage auctions results are real, then today says the market is hotter than even a few months ago. many unreal silver age results there. personally i'm very skeptical given all the recent news about their alleged practices like bidding on and buying their own stuff. but clearly it cannot all be rigged either. 

Yeah,  definitely cooling on Ebay , comiclink and other websites... so unusual heritage is still so hot.hm

On 9/12/2021 at 5:28 AM, Wolverinex said:

Yeah,  definitely cooling on Ebay , comiclink and other websites... so unusual heritage is still so hot.hm

:devil:  Heritage...., where the Hawt meet to create more Heat!!! :devil:

Since I haven't added any new slabs to my 50 item PC it has been easy to track YTD growth.
I am utilizing eBay sold items to determine their FMV.

Jan to September        29.52% increase
January to February        .39% increase
February to March        6.98% increase
March to April              11.77% increase
April to May                  7.21% increase
May to June                 2.46% increase
June to July                   .72% increase
July to August              3.69% decrease
August to September  1.19% increase

On 9/12/2021 at 11:29 AM, Joshua33 said:

Pulp prices have skyrocketed in recent months compared to comics. I think the quality of comics offered at Heritage has kept their realized prices high, but the brain damage purchases for any average condition Marvel key, seem to have declined. They will continue to do so...

I've watched eye-popping prices for mid-range "keys" (I am not just talking about true mega-keys, I'm talking about every book with some claim to relevance for a first appearance or whatever) and I've been really concerned for the people buying those.  It's one thing to overpay for a high-grade copy that will always have strong demand, but quite another to go nuts over "average" copies.  Especially for later books that are plentiful in 9.4 or better, chasing 5-0 - 7.0 books in this market is a dangerous game.

On 9/12/2021 at 9:33 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I've watched eye-popping prices for mid-range "keys" (I am not just talking about true mega-keys, I'm talking about every book with some claim to relevance for a first appearance or whatever) and I've been really concerned for the people buying those.  It's one thing to overpay for a high-grade copy that will always have strong demand, but quite another to go nuts over "average" copies.  Especially for later books that are plentiful in 9.4 or better, chasing 5-0 - 7.0 books in this market is a dangerous game.

Not to single out any particular books, but when I see copies of Werewolf by Night 32 sell for thousands of dollars, I literally feel ill when I think of the parallels between that and me paying $25 for a polybagged death of Superman when I was 11 years old.

I see a lot of people using the "well they still went up this quarter, so I'm making solid investments" argument, whilst paying DUMB prices for common books. The reality is, they are quite literally playing musical chairs, and the music is about to stop. Hope they end up in a chair...hm

On 9/12/2021 at 12:58 PM, Joshua33 said:

Not to single out any particular books, but when I see copies of Werewolf by Night 32 sell for thousands of dollars, I literally feel ill when I think of the parallels between that and me paying $25 for a polybagged death of Superman when I was 11 years old.

I see a lot of people using the "well they still went up this quarter, so I'm making solid investments" argument, whilst paying DUMB prices for common books. The reality is, they are quite literally playing musical chairs, and the music is about to stop. Hope they end up in a chair...hm

It is disconcerting, along with the stock market. Everything seems way out of line

On 9/12/2021 at 11:29 AM, Joshua33 said:

Pulp prices have skyrocketed in recent months compared to comics. I think the quality of comics offered at Heritage has kept their realized prices high, but the brain damage purchases for any average condition Marvel key, seem to have declined. They will continue to do so...

Aside from Moonknight, what other keys do you think are a waste for what’s being paid for them right now?

On 9/12/2021 at 6:34 PM, Joshua33 said:

How long ya got buddy? :roflmao:

In all seriousness though, I don't believe many books out there are being bought with any sense of awareness. Spiderman 300, 361, Secret Wars, Eternals, Nova, Shang Chi, Iron Fist, and people are extra wreckless on FF48, 49, any Claremont X Men, Miles Morales, etc, etc, etc. 

All of these are cool books, but the prices being paid appear to be the hype, plus future hype, plus prayed for future appreciation, future movie success, future growth in number of collectors, and on and on. It just seems so far beyond peaked out, that people are just driving up prices on mid grade fodder because they can't afford heavy keys anymore, so the inflation spills into books that should be in twenty five dollar bins.

I just hope when it's all over, it doesn't sour half of the collector market. Though I may be waiting for reason to enter the market before I reacquire many books I've moved, I understand and appreciate a healthy population in our hobby market.

Not the response I was expecting.  I’ve been in a pessimistic mood lately, so maybe that’s why.  I was expecting the “I hope everything crashes so I can afford it” take.  Which I absolutely cannot stand. 

I enjoyed your response.