• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,232 posts in this topic

On 5/8/2023 at 1:35 PM, namisgr said:

Thanks, John.  I miss my collections now gone, but have benefitted plenty from the money their sales raised.

I will take the "W" win on this.

Rare people on the boards says, "thanks to me." hahah

On 5/8/2023 at 12:51 PM, namisgr said:

- The Silver and Bronze collections that I sold through the years on ComicLink, ComicConnect, Highgrade Comics, and the marketplace here are eras that, in my experience, do at least as well at those venues as they would be expected to do at Heritage, where the great strengths are in Golden Age material, original art, and pedigree collections reaching market for the first time.

I think that the choice of best venue for a particular collection or run varies depending on the genre and era, and in many cases the books would do very well at two or three different venues with only minor differences between them.  

That's it EXACTLY, as it's never ever going to be a case of "one shoe fits all".  (thumbsu

If it was original art or a first run of a new pedigree collection, I would definitely be knocking on the doors on Heritage and negotiating my fees.  If it was GA books in general, I would be deciding between CC and HA depending upon the type and value of the GA books that we are talking about.  And if it is the highest graded copies of realtively hot and in-demand BA or CA books, I would probably be running towards CL as fast as my little feet could take me.  hm  lol

On 5/8/2023 at 10:43 AM, Hulksdaddy1 said:
On 5/8/2023 at 10:13 AM, Cratus said:

i agree that clink is a great place to buy but is there a reason why its data is not utilized by gocollect? 

They don't keep their sales info for very long.

More than likely due to the same reason that GPA does not incorporate CL auction results.....................namely the fact that CL likes to submit only select auction results to these reporting sites which of course results in misleading and biased information to the users of these sites.  (tsk)

"completely incorrect?  Havent 9.8 copies sold for 150K+ at their peak?  I don't trust ChatGPTs conclusions either for comics values --- too much out of the box calculation not just parroting internet text...  But that sentence rings tru as far as I recall the high prices TMNT realized at one point recently.  If only ChatGPT could deduce that prices PEAKED and have fallen since those record sales.

On 5/9/2023 at 4:21 PM, Aman619 said:

"completely incorrect?  Havent 9.8 copies sold for 150K+ at their peak?  I don't trust ChatGPTs conclusions either for comics values --- too much out of the box calculation not just parroting internet text...  But that sentence rings tru as far as I recall the high prices TMNT realized at one point recently.  If only ChatGPT could deduce that prices PEAKED and have fallen since those record sales.

The question being asked is which CGC 9.8s can be purchased for less than $200 not $200,000. 

This chat things is saying TMNT #1 CGC 9.8 can be had for $150 - $200, not $150,000 to $200,000. 

Probably just goof with an incorrectly placed decimal point but still…

Edited by Number 6

On 5/9/2023 at 4:21 PM, Aman619 said:

Not sure if this is the peak price or not as I thought there might have been one at $260K, but this copy here sold for $250K in October of 2021:  (thumbsu

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/929799

tee2.670.jpg

This was right after CC had sold another copy in another non-auction format sale for some $245K a month earlier and which was then followed by a auction sale at just over $230K for another copy in December of 2021.  :whatthe:

Not sure what CGC 9.8 graded copies of TMNT 1 would be selling for nowadays, but I would suspect a lot closer to the $100K mark than the $1M mark that some boardies were hoping for during the FOMO driven pandemic days of 2021/22. hm  (shrug) 

On 5/9/2023 at 7:29 PM, Number 6 said:

The question being asked is which CGC 9.8s can be purchased for less than $200 not $200,000. 

This chat things is saying TMNT #1 CGC 9.8 can be had for $150 - $200, not $150,000 to $200,000. 

Probably just goof with an incorrectly placed decimal point but still…

yes  my bad  I read it as 150K - 200K!   so just another datapoint illustrating that regurgitating everything written on the internet without context etc is NOT the AI "all encompassing intelligence" we are being told has arrived. Wonder how much damage will be done by them though.

Ok, this can’t be any more off topic than what’s transpired here lately. But this comicbook adjacent sale surprised me. Was going to post this in the hidden paperback thread, but it’s relevant here. This sold within a day or so. Very strong money for this book. 

613F3248-F00F-4C28-A48B-3603F9F18446.png

Edited by Westy Steve

On 5/8/2023 at 4:35 PM, namisgr said:

Thanks, John.  I miss my collections now gone, but have benefitted plenty from the money their sales raised.

Your timing was impeccable. Would be hard to quickly duplicate but with the way prices have ease up a bit you could buy their equivalents and still have plenty left. 

On 5/10/2023 at 9:37 AM, ThothAmon said:

Your timing was impeccable. Would be hard to quickly duplicate but with the way prices have ease up a bit you could buy their equivalents and still have plenty left. 

:acclaim:

My Silver Age collection?  Less good on the timing.  Selling from 2007 to 2015, the prices realized were, shall we say, well below where they later peaked.

On 5/10/2023 at 9:43 AM, namisgr said:

My Silver Age collection?  Less good on the timing.  Selling from 2007 to 2015, the prices realized were, shall we say, well below where they later peaked.

I wasn’t around at the time to witness that but yes that timing was not so ideal (although even then I thought prices were nutz). 

On 5/10/2023 at 6:43 AM, namisgr said:

I sold my TMNT #1 CGC 9.8 in 2012 or 2013 for 17K. lol   How did I do?