• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,171 posts in this topic

On 5/10/2023 at 9:48 AM, snitzer said:

Depends on what you paid for it… hm

Oh you will never go broke taking a profit, but instead I could have worked less by waiting to sell it years later! lol

On 5/8/2023 at 4:33 PM, namisgr said:

You could get a reduction of the seller consignment fee to zero and still net less from Heritage than from ComicLink, given the oversized premium buyers have to pay at the former venue.

More often, the opposite is true.

On 5/8/2023 at 4:33 PM, namisgr said:

You could get a reduction of the seller consignment fee to zero and still net less from Heritage than from ComicLink, given the oversized premium buyers have to pay at the former venue.

Yeah, I've had good success selling on ComicLink as well, and not only Silver/Bronze but there would be several record highs on GA books in GPA if ComicLink reported their sales. Scarce/tough books (either scarce overall or scarce in grade) do very well in ComicLink's Featured auctions. The smaller auctions aren't as good, especially for common books and especially lately with the overall softening in the market.

On 5/7/2023 at 7:32 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Just to correct a few things stated in your post:

1. the HA sellers fee is 20%.  Has been for some time now.  Likewise, the buyers fee is also 20%
2.  I know several folks who have negotiated a much lower fee with HA, some have actually negotiated 0% sellers fee!

3.  The HA buyers premium- it may surprise you to know that the 20% buyers premium isn’t always in play.  There are several ways that folks have negotiated this down to a reduced %

Based upon PM's which I have received from a few boardies here in the past, this would definitely appear to be the case.  (thumbsu

Having never dealt with Heritage from a selling POV, but I would believe this is really dependent upon both the quality and the dollar value of the books you would be consigning with them.  I've heard cases whereby the SP is waived right off the bat and consignors have even gotten back a small piece of the 20% BP without much negotiation at all, but never ever down as far as the CC and CL fees of 10%.  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 5/10/2023 at 9:33 PM, comicnoir said:

I know what a braggart, but after 23 years of buying, selling, upgrading and hunting down, that offer was a rush.

No shame in that at all. Glad you stuck to your guns, I'd be curious if it was during the past two years? As I not, you might have doubles your chances at a better offer in the future. The decline I don't think has hit that stuff as much, compared to the run ups of the past two years. No shame at all!

On 5/10/2023 at 10:40 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

No shame in that at all. Glad you stuck to your guns, I'd be curious if it was during the past two years? As I not, you might have doubles your chances at a better offer in the future. The decline I don't think has hit that stuff as much, compared to the run ups of the past two years. No shame at all!

Thanks. The values of these books were steadily rising all along. The last 2 years they rose, but in keeping with previous years, although  certain issues really jumped.. It's hard to track these books because of rarity. There has been no decline, except in some lower grades. If I were to sell, it would be through a designated auction where I would get more, maybe 2 or 3 times more.

On 5/10/2023 at 1:58 PM, comicnoir said:

I have turned down a million for my Baker collection from a dealer. If I took it, I'd look at the suitcase of cash and just miss my comics.

On 5/10/2023 at 9:52 PM, comicnoir said:

If I were to sell, it would be through a designated auction where I would get more, maybe 2 or 3 times more.

Yes, why in the world would you take some dealer's low ball offer of only a cool one million, when you can have a hot two or three million. :devil:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

On 5/10/2023 at 11:52 PM, comicnoir said:

Thanks. The values of these books were steadily rising all along. The last 2 years they rose, but in keeping with previous years, although  certain issues really jumped.. It's hard to track these books because of rarity. There has been no decline, except in some lower grades. If I were to sell, it would be through a designated auction where I would get more, maybe 2 or 3 times more.

You have a pretty awesome Baker collection.  Some seriously tough books in there.

Continued tracking of my 50 piece personal collection's value for insurance purposes.
I am utilizing eBay sold items (with auctions taking priority over buy-it-now) to determine FMV.

January to February          1.94% decrease
February to March             4.25% increase
March to April                    0.82% increase
April to May                       2.53% decrease

On 5/12/2023 at 8:35 AM, ThothAmon said:

FF 94 (Agatha Harkness) has definitely ease up a bit. Reality bites and I’m assuming this is broadly true for all books from this era.

Sure seems like it.  9.8s run fillers seem to be bucking the downward trend.  FF 95 had a 9.8 sale of $1500, up from $927 in 2022.  Last 9.6 sale was $228.

FWIW - the ground level books are stone cold.

Worst ebay quarter for 8 years - by a mile.

Unless they are keys - the comic items are stone cold.

Needs a good run of movies to make comics 'talked about' again.

2c