• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
41 41

7,928 posts in this topic

On 5/31/2023 at 9:13 PM, Beige said:

Can someone help me understand why anyone would pay $2,500 for this comic, much less $7,500 or the $11,250 suggested by Heritage's "make offer to owner" feature?

On 6/1/2023 at 12:06 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Can someone help me understand why anyone would pay $2,500 for this comic, much less $7,500 or the $11,250 suggested by Heritage's "make offer to owner" feature?

Lot of 1st apps of Aliens (The Movie) characters. Very popular franchise.

I can see the appeal in a 9.8 for fans (I most certainly am one myself) but $7500 is insanity.

On 5/31/2023 at 10:19 PM, pickycollector said:

Another major drop, TTA #13 in 7.5 sold tonight for $7,475; last sale for a 7.5 was $13,812

TTA #13 CGC 7.5

I'm too lazy to look up more data points, but this could be one of those cases where the $13K result was the nonsensical outlier.

I paid around $7,200 for my 7.0 in September, and I'm not surprised to see a 7.5 sale that makes my purchase look like a bit of an overpay, but let's face it a 7.5 is not worth nearly double a 7.0.

On 6/1/2023 at 12:27 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I guess I just don't see the big deal when those characters were first seen in a movie and then adapted to a comic.

It's not like The Walking Dead (or many other examples) where the comic came first.

I can see both sides.

Both are as valid.

On 6/1/2023 at 12:56 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Well, maybe I need to take back what I said before.  Maybe high grade books are ease after all.

I just picked up two Bronze Age keys for a lot less than the going rate over the past couple of years:

image.thumb.jpeg.d96f04228c4f88ce4ac8f71a2e69f228.jpeg

Sold for $9,300 -- a 9.6 WP sold for $12K on Heritage last August, and another sold for over $10K in December 2021.

image.thumb.jpeg.55da0fd68527e13827d0abf2ca5a0796.jpeg

Sold for $7,701 -- multiple 9.6 WP copies sold for over $25K in November 2021, and a 9.6 OW/W sold for $14,400 as recently as last September.

You definitely skipped the FOMO pricing frenzy of the last few years.   I've got to say, I loved the Werewolf by Night special, I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next with this character.  I think you've done particularly well here.

On 5/31/2023 at 10:26 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I'm too lazy to look up more data points, but this could be one of those cases where the $13K result was the nonsensical outlier.

I paid around $7,200 for my 7.0 in September, and I'm not surprised to see a 7.5 sale that makes my purchase look like a bit of an overpay, but let's face it a 7.5 is not worth nearly double a 7.0.

It's Groot :cloud9: ... a hugely popular character. I still feel like it's a decent value with the scarcity of pretty copies. These things may level out ... Covid sent half the baby boomers into early semi retirement and a sudden surge of new collectibles dealers. The market just couldn't handle the sudden flood. GOD BLESS .... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 6/1/2023 at 3:56 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Well, maybe I need to take back what I said before.  Maybe high grade books are ease after all.

I just picked up two Bronze Age keys for a lot less than the going rate over the past couple of years:

image.thumb.jpeg.d96f04228c4f88ce4ac8f71a2e69f228.jpeg

Sold for $9,300 -- a 9.6 WP sold for $12K on Heritage last August, and another sold for over $10K in December 2021.

image.thumb.jpeg.55da0fd68527e13827d0abf2ca5a0796.jpeg

Sold for $7,701 -- multiple 9.6 WP copies sold for over $25K in November 2021, and a 9.6 OW/W sold for $14,400 as recently as last September.

Very nice Lou. :applause:

On 6/1/2023 at 3:09 PM, batmiesta said:

WTAF? :insane:

ULTIMATE FALLOUT #4, VARIANT EDITION, CGC 9.8 NM/MT - THE AUCTION HAS ENDED

2011, 1st appearance of Miles Morales, the New Spider-Man

Current Bid: $35,000
Number Of Bids: 66 history.gif

Add to WantList  [Sell One Of These]

01040392398000082062114009_TH.jpg

The last six sales on GPA average $38,450.

On 6/1/2023 at 5:41 PM, batmiesta said:
On 6/1/2023 at 3:21 PM, valiantman said:

The last six sales on GPA average $38,450.

Ooooh! Bargain then. meh

Your post seemed like you figured it should have been closer to $300. meh

I just saw Across the Spider-Verse and the movie is freakin' awesome.  We are going to see a lot more of Miles Morales.

To be clear, I absolutely recognize UF #4 as a key.  But it's an ultra-modern key.  I happily paid a whopping $365 for my 9.8, and I'm happy to see how its value has grown.  But this should never be a five-figure book, and I would be very worried for anyone buying in at that kind of price.

On 6/1/2023 at 11:08 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I just saw Across the Spider-Verse and the movie is freakin' awesome.  We are going to see a lot more of Miles Morales.

To be clear, I absolutely recognize UF #4 as a key.  But it's an ultra-modern key.  I happily paid a whopping $365 for my 9.8, and I'm happy to see how its value has grown.  But this should never be a five-figure book, and I would be very worried for anyone buying in at that kind of price.

Is there debate over it being a key?… 

On 5/31/2023 at 5:18 AM, Pantodude said:

Living in one of the test market cities is almost as cool as living in Hell's Kitchen!  :)  Just a case in point.  The huge multiples paid for Star Wars #1 35-cent variants exists at ALL grades (from 1.8 to 9.4 per GPA).  So much so that in 2017.2018, a 35c variant in 1.5 or 1.8 in 2017/2018 went for about as much as the 30c version in 9.8!   Lower to mid grade 35c books routinely fetch over 20x premium over same-grade 30c books nowadays, with more extreme multiples at the high end (e.g., in 9.4, $50K vs $500).  So the premium phenomenon in the context of vintage price variants is not limited to the high grades, as it might be with modern cover variants (i dunno).  Also, unlike modern cover variants that are marketed and hyped (not judging here) as rare counterparts prior to sale, which of course tends to incite interest when released and thereafter, the vintage price variants did not receive premiums until many, many years after release.  When they were sold, the rest of the country outside of the like 4 test cities knew nothing about their existence, let alone how rare they were!  It took time to realize their scarcity, but once it happened, the premiums for 35c price variants have stuck (in all grades).  That's another big difference.  (thumbsu         

There is absolutely nothing I disagree with here!  Yours (and I hope mine) is the mindset of a collector.   I think there are a lot of people still spending big bucks on comics that don't care much, if at all about the history.  These people are not like us. All they care about is the investment potential of these books.  To them, rarer books are better investments, end stop.  Here is the description of the 9.8 Eternals #1 30 Cent Price Variant: 

Created by the great Jack Kirby, the artistic father of the Marvel Universe, the Eternals are a superhuman race created by the Celestials. The offered example for the much rarer 30 Cent Price Variant is pristine and has been graded Near Mint/Mint 9.8, making it the highest graded and 1 of only 4 examples of this Variant ever assigned the top grade by CGC. Adding to its desirability, the pristine condition is further enhanced by newsstand-fresh White Pages. Consider that there are 642 CGC 9.8s (Universal and Signature Series) for the regular (25-Cent) edition, and it drives how how incredibly rare these 30-Cent Price Variants of Eternals #1 really are.

This description mentions nothing about the interesting history of price variants.  The hook is that they are rare, RARE, RARE! If you like 9.8s, these 9.8s are double-plus-good! 

Now it IS possible that more people have developed a genuine appreciation for this specific price variant and that is reason why they bid almost $15K for a book that last sold for $7500 in 2020, but I'm a bit too cynical for that. :nyah: