• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,222 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2023 at 6:46 PM, Beastfeast said:

Continuation of my buying/selling experience - Books I’m auctioning are easing big time and the ones I’m bidding on are going up. 

Well, nobody's ever happy when the books they buy are going down in value and the books they sell continue to go up in value.  

On 7/26/2023 at 7:46 PM, Beastfeast said:

Continuation of my buying/selling experience - Books I’m auctioning are easing big time and the ones I’m bidding on are going up. 

Likely a bi-product of what is being offered for sale :)   "Junk" drops first, falls furthest and takes huge shifts (aka insanity) in market for it to slowly rise again.  With trading cards that corresponds to "Junk Wax" with Comics the closest ballpark analog is "Glut era".

On 7/27/2023 at 6:13 AM, MAR1979 said:

Likely a bi-product of what is being offered for sale :)   "Junk" drops first, falls furthest and takes huge shifts (aka insanity) in market for it to slowly rise again.  With trading cards that corresponds to "Junk Wax" with Comics the closest ballpark analog is "Glut era".

Oh, absolutely. I just happen to be setting GPA lows for the year, so at least I have that going for me. 

On 7/27/2023 at 10:25 PM, wiparker824 said:

Most relatable thing in this entire thread. 

Much of the industry marches to the beat of the same drum as we are all influenced by the same information, more or less.  So it's fairly predictable that a large number of collectors will be at the entrances and exits at the same time.  

On 7/27/2023 at 8:56 PM, Nick Furious said:

Much of the industry marches to the beat of the same drum as we are all influenced by the same information, more or less.  So it's fairly predictable that a large number of collectors will be at the entrances and exits at the same time.  

Yeah I get it. I’m not a dealer, not in the hobby to make money but I would probably have some better books if I could figure out how to stop buying the peaks and selling the valleys. But, such is life. 

Wow, the 39 went for nearly more coin than all the 9.8 60's Spectre's combined at CL this past week and that title is rather rare in hi-grade

High Grade Early 70's and older non-key DC's of course are not easy to find, never were. Lack of demand has always suppressed DC prices and I do not see that changing. My guess is 2 registry collectors went all out at 39.

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/29/2023 at 2:03 PM, MAR1979 said:

Wow, the 39 went for nearly more coin than all the 9.8 60's Spectre's combined at CL this past week and that title is rather rare in hi-grade

High Grade Early 70's and older non-key DC's of course are not easy to find, never were. Lack of demand has always suppressed DC prices and I do not see that changing. My guess is 2 registry collectors went all out at 39.

You right they are rare.   And even having a closer look at those two books, I wasn't overly in love with their condition, but still there's so few high grade copies around.

Tell you though I do wish Mid 60's DC Silver-early Bronze (1965-1972) stuff becomes more popular as I'd be positioned rather well of course I've been wanting/wishing that since the late 1990's :0 However at best logically I do realize its merely a Lucy with Football scenario, outliers not withstanding.

Edited by MAR1979

Based on tracking CGC graded DC 52 page issues for around 20 years, it is very likely that another CGC 9.8 copy (copies) of TT issue 39 will be graded sooner or later as has happened with a great many DC issues, 52 page and otherwise, especially when an out of the "normal" price range sale occurs. Such sales have been happening frequently lately on, for example (especially), HA.

As others note, unfortunately there are few of us primarily DC collectors and, thus, prices for non-key (and some key) issues are relatively low (mostly compared to Marvel Comics titles).

I have purchased a few CGC 9.8 DC 52 on the cheap side lately, letting the ones selling for about $500 to $2500 go (Edit: as if I ever had them lol).

My 2c of informed observation.

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe

On 7/30/2023 at 12:37 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Based on tracking CGC graded DC 52 page issues for around 20 years, it is very likely that another CGC 9.8 copy (copies) of TT issue 39 will be graded sooner or later as has happened with a great many DC issues, 52 page and otherwise, especially when an out of the "normal" price range sale occurs. Such sales have been happening frequently lately on, for example (especially), HA.

As others note, unfortunately there are few of us primarily DC collectors and, thus, prices for non-key (and some key) issues are relatively low (mostly compared to Marvel Comics titles).

I have purchased a few CGC 9.8 DC 52 on the cheap side lately, letting the ones selling for about $500 to $2500 go (Edit: as if I ever had them lol).

My 2c of informed observation.

You can still get the war issues for okay money, but the horror issues is where the real battle is.   HOS, HOM are all virtual classic covers of the period.    And forget that 52 pager issues of Dark Mansions, and Sinister House even exist! 

On 7/29/2023 at 8:56 PM, Microchip said:

You can still get the war issues for okay money, but the horror issues is where the real battle is.   HOS, HOM are all virtual classic covers of the period.    And forget that 52 pager issues of Dark Mansions, and Sinister House even exist! 

Yup. DC high grade BA horror has gotten very expensive. I've been working on a HOS run for years and the auction scene has been really hot lately. I would like to finish it, but it's increasingly difficult. 

The funny thing is, during the pandemic, when prices went nuts, BA horror was pretty stable. It was really enjoyable to collect.