• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,354 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2023 at 2:29 PM, lou_fine said:

Those prices that I was referring to in terms of the 6-figures SS 1 and the $90K SS4 were of course for CGC 9.8 graded copies, not CGC 9.6. (thumbsu

Looks like the last SS#1 9.8 copy to sell was the Boston OW/W copy, and one other... over 6 years ago.   Thats a different era right now, light years away.

The SS #4 9.8, it'll be interesting to see where the next sale lands.

Already with SS#4 9.6, we can see the new ceilings kicking in.

image.thumb.png.4264b12a7303ca6b28620b1bb171c5c3.png

It would be nice to know more details on the two books.

I suspect the SS #1 in 9.6 will follow suit, and not really take any prolonged dip in value.

On 6/22/2023 at 10:14 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:
On 6/21/2023 at 9:18 AM, lou_fine said:

So, are you saying the day of 6-figures for Silver Surfer 1 and $90K for Silver Surfer 4 are over and done with for good for the speculators, or simply pushed further down the line for collectors who don't mind waiting at all?  hm  

OH MAGIC 8 BALL – Real Talk 4 Everyone

Maybe the haze is starting to dissipate and we are seeing clear skies ahead because if Richie Rich can do it, why not Silver Surfer 1 again:  :whatthe:  lol

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/humor/richie-rich-1-harvey-1960-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7340-91051.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F8%2F1%2F8%2F4%2F28184567%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Look like this copy "eased" itself into a very comfortable $108K considering there are 4 copies in this equivalent grade with another 6 knocking right on its front door plus all of the other Harvey File Copies that are sitting raw in personal collections still waiting to be graded.  

On 6/22/2023 at 11:07 PM, lou_fine said:

Maybe the haze is starting to dissipate and we are seeing clear skies ahead because if Richie Rich can do it, why not Silver Surfer 1 again:  :whatthe:  lol

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/humor/richie-rich-1-harvey-1960-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7340-91051.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F8%2F1%2F8%2F4%2F28184567%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Look like this copy "eased" itself into a very comfortable $108K considering there are 4 copies in this equivalent grade with another 6 knocking right on its front door plus all of the other Harvey File Copies that are sitting raw in personal collections still waiting to be graded.  

Jeez, I don't know anything about the value of these kinds of books but -- especially since this is not the actual first appearance of Richie Rich -- I am shocked anyone would pay that much money for this book.  (No offense.)

On 6/22/2023 at 11:27 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Jeez, I don't know anything about the value of these kinds of books but -- especially since this is not the actual first appearance of Richie Rich -- I am shocked anyone would pay that much money for this book.  (No offense.)

But there are parallels - the most obvious is that they are both first issues of their self-titled series, the difference being the original Surfer series limped to 18 issues while Richie survived for decades, lasting well past 200 issues. 

In collecting, there's always going to be a psychological edge to anything numbered "one."   :shiftyeyes:

On 6/22/2023 at 9:27 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

especially since this is not the actual first appearance of Richie Rich -- I am shocked anyone would pay that much money for this book.  (No offense.)

Likewise with Silver Surfer 1 also selling for $108,000 or thereabouts (can't remember exactly where or when) when it's also not the actual first appearance of Silver Surfer.  hm

Then again, I am most definitely all for it since I do have a HG raw copy of Silver Surfer 1 in my personal collection which the store owner was kind enough to let me cherry picked from the pile before he put the rest of them onto the shelf for sale.  Unfortunately for me, that short Giant Size run for the first seven issues were the only books that I cared enough to do that for.  :luhv:  :(

On 6/23/2023 at 2:27 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Wait until the next one of these come up, we'll all be in for a shock.

image.thumb.png.ca7ce893b255bd5399920848f04c4fef.png

On 6/23/2023 at 4:48 PM, lou_fine said:

Likewise with Silver Surfer 1 also selling for $108,000 or thereabouts (can't remember exactly where or when) when it's also not the actual first appearance of Silver Surfer.  hm

Then again, I am most definitely all for it since I do have a HG raw copy of Silver Surfer 1 in my personal collection which the store owner was kind enough to let me cherry picked from the pile before he put the rest of them onto the shelf for sale.  Unfortunately for me, that short Giant Size run for the first seven issues were the only books that I cared enough to do that for.  :luhv:  :(

There's a new label in the making here... original owner, hand picked no less!  

On 6/23/2023 at 12:28 AM, Microchip said:

Wait until the next one of these come up, we'll all be in for a shock.

image.thumb.png.ca7ce893b255bd5399920848f04c4fef.png

I was in absolute shock when CC was able to auction off a copy for over $40K back in 2015 which was well before prices started to run up and we got used to big 5-figures and now sometimes even 6-figures for some of these books here.  :whatthe:

I imagine it's only a matter of time before we see a high enough graded copy of this iconic book hit the marketplace at 6-figures. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 6/22/2023 at 11:48 PM, lou_fine said:

I probably just bought the first copy on the rack…:roflmao:

On 6/23/2023 at 2:48 AM, lou_fine said:

... those square bonds sure were pretty when they were fresh off the rack. :cloud9: GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 6/22/2023 at 8:07 PM, lou_fine said:

Took a closer look at this copy of Richie Rich 1 here that was auctioned off for a rather astounding $108K which still kind of boggles my mind.  :whatthe:

Maybe it's just me, but if I was going to spend 6-figures on a book (which I would never do) with other multiple equivalent graded copies, I would have gone for one without those spine ticks below the bottom staple and also one with shaper corners.  hm  (shrug)

No Grader Notes for this copy here, but looks like it was graded back in 2011 which is supposedly one of CGC's softer grading time periods. :p

On 6/23/2023 at 9:03 AM, lou_fine said:
On 6/22/2023 at 8:07 PM, lou_fine said:

Took a closer look at this copy of Richie Rich 1 here that was auctioned off for a rather astounding $108K which still kind of boggles my mind.  :whatthe:

Maybe it's just me, but if I was going to spend 6-figures on a book (which I would never do) with other multiple equivalent graded copies, I would have gone for one without those spine ticks below the bottom staple and also one with shaper corners.  hm  (shrug)

No Grader Notes for this copy here, but looks like it was graded back in 2011 which is supposedly one of CGC's softer grading time periods. :p

It's got that carp at upper left too. Kinda looks like 9.0 to me. :eek:

Really hard to say without the book in hand and cracked out of the case. Scanners sometimes add stuff that is not there. Alternately, the slab itself usually hides a lot of flaws.

On 6/23/2023 at 7:53 AM, Robot Man said:

I probably just bought the first copy on the rack…:roflmao:

I should have grabbed the whole small pile of them which the owner had in his hands, but I was clearly not a hoarder.  :bigsmile:

Then again, he probably wouldn't have given me my copy for free since he was probably tired of me sitting in his store reading and mishandling all of his comics. lol :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

Haven't taken a real close look at the results yet, but if this is any indication, then it looks like the SA Marvels might still be easing a bit:  :(

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/fantastic-four-1-marvel-1961-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7340-91044.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Silver Age (1956-1969):Superhero, Fantastic Four #1 (Marvel, 1961) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white to white pages....

Finished up at a seemingly lowly $117K which looks like a pretty sizable drop from the $200K+ price points which equivalent graded 8.5 copies were able to get last year, but pretty much where they were back in 2019 prior to the Covid gold rush.  (thumbsu

Then again, it looks like the classic Frank Frazetta Famous Funnies Buck Rogers issues are continuing to rocket their ways upwards:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/science-fiction/famous-funnies-212-eastern-color-1954-cgc-vf-nm-90-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7340-92073.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Science Fiction, Famous Funnies #212 (Eastern Color, 1954) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Cream to off-white pages....

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/science-fiction/famous-funnies-209-bethlehem-pedigree-eastern-color-1953-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7340-92071.s?lotPosition=1&ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417

Golden Age (1938-1955):Science Fiction, Famous Funnies #209 Bethlehem Pedigree (Eastern Color, 1953) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white to white pages....

As I had posted on the GA boards, looks like this is the first time that one of these issues have managed to hit the $30K price point in terms of the CGC 9.0 graded copy of FF 212.  Even more telling though, is the fact that the much more readily available and common FF 209 was able to cross over the $20K threshold level when it had never ever caame close to hitting 5-figures before in the past.  :whatthe:  

On 6/14/2023 at 6:34 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, I guess this goes to counter the point made by many that Overstreet is always low when it comes to his price guide valuations since he has X-Men 94 listed at $3K in top of guide 9.2 condition.  hm

Any bets that he's going to simply pause his valuation at $3K in his new guide due out next month, as opposed to actually dropping the valuation as that seems to be something which he absolutely abhors doing.:popcorn:  :taptaptap:

On 6/14/2023 at 11:25 AM, mjoeyoung said:

I would be surprised.  Didn't they just raise many of the valuations in the last guide?

Well, looks like we've only got about 10 more sleeps until we find out what Overstreet does in his guide with respect to all of these dropping market prices on the SA and BA books. :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Especially with respect to the ones which he just jacked up by triple digit percentages in his last guide and which are mostly all now selling for significantly lower than condition guide valuations.  :popcorn:  (shrug)

Clearly a dilemna for poor old Bob here as this is never ever a spot which he wants to be caught in given his slow conservative track record with guide valuations over the decades.  :frown:

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/9/2023 at 2:46 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, looks like we've only got about 10 more sleeps until we find out what Overstreet does in his guide with respect to all of these dropping market prices on the SA and BA books. :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Especially with respect to the ones which he just jacked up by triple digit percentages in his last guide and which are mostly all now selling for significantly lower than condition guide valuations.  :popcorn:  (shrug)

Clearly a dilemna for poor old Bob here as this is never ever a spot which he wants to be caught in given his slow conservative track record with guide valuations over the decades.  :frown:

People still use Overstreet to figure out what comics are worth?