• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,171 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2023 at 2:03 AM, Upgrayedd2 said:

Based on the latest sale of Punch Comics #12, they are dropping at an exponential rate. Looks like further confirmation price drop are going into Golden Aged comics.

Punch Comics #12, CGC 1.5 : $2,325.00 on 19 AUG 2023

Last CGC 1.5 sold for $14,400 in SEP 2022 : 84% drop in price

Where was the $2325 sale made?

On 8/18/2023 at 1:26 PM, dikran said:

I certainly hope so... my books are nowhere near where they ''should'' be and it's worrying.

I have 3 books in this current auction. One ended Friday at pretty much exactly what I figured it would. I have to remind myself there are no fees so I'll come out a little ahead on the sale. Hoping for the same on the other two.

Of the books I bid on I feel like the hammer prices were fairly strong.

On 8/19/2023 at 2:06 PM, Stefan_W said:

I am not finding any deals to bid on there which is a great sign for sellers. I am considering sending a few books in to them to auction off just to see what happens. 

Agreed. It’s shaping up to be a place I personally won’t be buying much from, but will be open to selling. They have the owner running a YouTube channel that posts constantly getting several thousand views per video and always is pumping the upcoming auction. I’m guessing that’s driving a lot of traffic, and has a pseudo-whatnot effect where buyers want to buy a book specifically from  his auctions. Several books I had put a low bid on just to track went well above 90 day GPA average. 

On 8/20/2023 at 6:56 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

I’ve seen other listings from this guy. His ads end with “Please note: This auction will be ended once we receive a confirmed payment from a buyer at our store.”

scam for sure

On 8/20/2023 at 8:54 AM, wiparker824 said:

Agreed. It’s shaping up to be a place I personally won’t be buying much from, but will be open to selling. They have the owner running a YouTube channel that posts constantly getting several thousand views per video and always is pumping the upcoming auction. I’m guessing that’s driving a lot of traffic, and has a pseudo-whatnot effect where buyers want to buy a book specifically from  his auctions. Several books I had put a low bid on just to track went well above 90 day GPA average. 

Indeed. I don't presently sell any comic books but I will also be very unlikely to purchase from CC for the reason you mention. For the books I bid on, I found cheaper BIN for almost all of them since they are common. However, for me the BIN are still too high.

Continued tracking of my 50 piece personal collection's value for insurance purposes.
I am utilizing eBay sold items (with auctions taking priority over buy-it-now) to determine FMV.

January to February          1.94% decrease
February to March             4.25% increase
March to April                     0.82% increase
April to May                        2.53% decrease
May to June                       2.08% decrease
June to July                        4.19% increase
July to August                     1.63% increase

On 8/19/2023 at 7:32 PM, Microchip said:

You have to keep in mind condition is also a factor of scarcity.   There's plenty of examples of in demand books, with plenty of copies around, but no high grade examples available, or on the census.

Also, what we see with CPV books, the high grades fill out first.   The books are only worth money (for the bulk of them) is the rubber gets a 9.6 grade or better.   So only the very copies are going through to CGC at this point.   The time, effort, and money involved vs the potential return simply isn't there for a casual subbing of CPV books.   So the census reflects guys active in the market, pulling out their best copies to be subbed and sold.

CPV?

On 8/20/2023 at 11:07 AM, Chamber of Chills said:

Continued tracking of my 50 piece personal collection's value for insurance purposes.
I am utilizing eBay sold items (with auctions taking priority over buy-it-now) to determine FMV.

January to February          1.94% decrease
February to March             4.25% increase
March to April                     0.82% increase
April to May                        2.53% decrease
May to June                       2.08% decrease
June to July                        4.19% increase
July to August                     1.63% increase

Still up +4.34% for the year (thumbsu

-bc

On 8/20/2023 at 11:28 AM, Nick Furious said:

There are rumors of a spunky little group of people living north of the United States.  I believe it's referred to as Canadia.  Some comic books that are priced differently are thought to have come from that mythical place.  All unverified.    

OK, thanks for giving me a hint! lol

I wasn't talking about Canadian price variants (or any other kind of variants) so I was not in a frame / context to understand what that was about.

On 8/20/2023 at 11:28 AM, Nick Furious said:

There are rumors of a spunky little group of people living north of the United States.  I believe it's referred to as Canadia.  Some comic books that are priced differently are thought to have come from been printed here and distributed in that mythical place.  All unverified.    

Couldn't resist the urge to correct that misstatement, even if it was in jest.  (thumbsu

On 8/20/2023 at 8:43 AM, Ryan. said:

I have 3 books in this current auction. One ended Friday at pretty much exactly what I figured it would. I have to remind myself there are no fees so I'll come out a little ahead on the sale. Hoping for the same on the other two.

Of the books I bid on I feel like the hammer prices were fairly strong.

Yup. I was actually a bit surprised at some of the prices on the books I bid on, but I guess it makes sense if they're pulling in some social media-based Whatnot-type clientele. I don't know if I'll be following any future auctions. That website has me yanking out what little hair I have left. Plus, Mark Wilson.

On 8/12/2023 at 4:06 PM, Microchip said:

I was loading my Wolverine Limited Series onto the registry.

There is over 49,000 of those 4 books subbed to date!!   It's just a crazy number, absolutely bonkers. 

What does it mean "onto registry"? Are those graded and for sale?

On 8/13/2023 at 8:09 AM, comicartfan said:

I am really flummoxed as to how people are so bewildered by the current state of the market. Inflation,interest rates, the war in Ukraine, political discord, record credit card debit for the US (1 trillion for the first time) and an uncertian job market. Collectibles are down all over the place. I was talking to a dealer/collector about buying some of my statues since I am moved into a smaller place. He was saying how slow the market is, but also acknowledged that collectibles are slow all over. A collector I know was saying that on the site ComicArtFans that he noticed a sizeable increase in people listing art for sale. True, July and August are infamously a bad time to sell, this really rings true this year. It's hard to gauge where the bottom is, just like we didn't know where the ceiling was when books exploded. 

I have been on these boards since 2003 and literally once a week there was a new thread about how the newly formed CGC collecting boom was going to crash. The hobby was getting this huge surge in prices due to the 3rd party grading, the eBay effect and new collectors coming in/back. 

Then we had a correction....then another boom in 2008-2009. Another drop, then another boom with Marvel Studios...It's all cyclical. We can analyze it to death, as we do....or we can just enjoy the hobby and decide individually when to cash out. Movies and TV shows haven't been moving the needle when it comes to books like they once did. There could be a multitude of reasons. Lack of quality, abundance of material we're now exposed to as well as all the reasons I listed above. 

I think the next 6 months or so will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

Something I have been wondering about is how are dealers riding this wave ?  Has anyone noticed dealers adjusting prices on current inventory to account for falling prices ? Does a book that was priced at X dealer's site for $1500 last year now say $1000 ? - Just for example. 

Were there any examples posted?