• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,171 posts in this topic

On 9/5/2023 at 2:49 PM, Cman429 said:

If analyzing data and predicting future trends was an exact science there’d be a lot more billionaires on Wall Street. I’m sure there are a few Michael Burry’s of comics but generally the entire market is reactionary. 

Agreed and I've repeatedly stated this. 

To me, understanding direction is an entirely different animal than trying to predict price points, and it becomes a LOT easier to predict direction when you pull back the lense, widen your perspective (which is how I tend to view the world) and stop focusing on isolated data points, which is how the general public seems to view the world.

I've also repeatedly said this, that people's "fear of loss" overrides their ability to think clearly and I think pulling back the perspective on a topic (like price trends - but literally with ANYTHING in life) helps reduce that fear of loss and helps buyers make better decisions which > in turn is better for the overall hobby. 

Less pitfalls = better for everyone over all. 

On 9/5/2023 at 6:00 PM, bluehorseshoe said:

Now do all of your overspends during the same time.

Don't have any mush, refused to do it, I have a price I am willing to pay for a book and when it goes past, bollocks to it, another one will come along sometime. 

Edited by batmiesta

On 9/7/2023 at 1:25 PM, batmiesta said:

I guess so, but it stops me from paying $4500 for a $600 book, which would be an even bigger disappointment .9_9

Thats true, and smart.

But I do see guys working within their budgets, bidding strongly on mid-grade books.   It looks like almost a market unto itself, as guys stay within the boundaries, battle it out on books that fall in certain price brackets.   It's interesting.   There's lot of bands of spending in the comic book market.    

On 9/7/2023 at 7:36 AM, Microchip said:

Thats true, and smart.

But I do see guys working within their budgets, bidding strongly on mid-grade books.   It looks like almost a market unto itself, as guys stay within the boundaries, battle it out on books that fall in certain price brackets.   It's interesting.   There's lot of bands of spending in the comic book market.    

Yeah! Collectors collect in many different ways, I only buy HG stuff because I want to be happy when I look at it, so the term low grade is better than no grade is wasted on me, but that's just how I collect, it would be fairly pants if we all collected the same way.

On 9/9/2023 at 12:12 AM, the blob said:

So are we back to 2013 or 2018? 2019? 2011? I've been out of the loop.

In terms of speculation books it’s back to 2013.  In terms of copper and modern books we are maybe back before that.  Bronze books we maybe are back to 2018 -2019.  Higher grade Silver and most Golden Age seem to be doing quite well but still probably back to 2020.

So I take it we're seeing a lot less 50 cent box books turning into $50 books a week later because there is a rumor someone might make a cameo in Loki? I see the postings on facebook and folks seem as delusional as ever. I have just mentally avoided looking at ebay.  Have cons bounced back post-covid and with the ebay income reporting rules?

Edited by the blob

On 9/9/2023 at 12:12 AM, the blob said:

So are we back to 2013 or 2018? 2019? 2011? I've been out of the loop.

It depends on the market we're talking about. 

Highest quality books are outstripping their lower quality counterparts and the gap continues to increase. 

If you have a 9.8 it's not falling as fast as the grades below it, and if it's an exemplary specimen, it's going for stratospheric money. 

I think that as a general rule seems to be holding. 

And as I mentioned, I think the reason for this is that the people with REAL money are buying up quality items because they foresee a glut of poor quality (or fake / digital) items flooding the market place. Supply continues to dwindle for ALL quality assets. 

REAL and QUALITY will always command a premium in any market so these two are the safest bets for investors. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 9/10/2023 at 4:18 AM, VintageComics said:

It depends on the market we're talking about. 

Highest quality books are outstripping their lower quality counterparts and the gap continues to increase. 

If you have a 9.8 it's not falling as fast as the grades below it, and if it's an exemplary specimen, it's going for stratospheric money. 

I think that as a general rule seems to be holding. 

And as I mentioned, I think the reason for this is that the people with REAL money are buying up quality items because they foresee a glut of poor quality (or fake / digital) items flooding the market place. Supply continues to dwindle for ALL quality assets. 

REAL and QUALITY will always command a premium in any market so these two are the safest bets for investors. 

There is more money in the world than things to buy with. That explains much.

On 9/9/2023 at 3:22 PM, the blob said:

what about mid grade SA?

Really depends on the books but most can be easily found with a 30-50% haircut compared to a few years ago.  More so mid grade Bronze but I saw so many signs up saying back stock at Baltimore was 30-50% off at a bunch of booths.  A dealer who was having a terrible show said that everyone is looking for high grade books and everything else is sitting unless at blow out prices.  The collectors seem to be back and they want the hard to find books even if they have to pay a premium.  

Edited by 1Cool

On 9/10/2023 at 6:01 AM, 1Cool said:

Really depends on the books but most can be easily found with a 30-50% haircut compared to a few years ago.  More so mid grade Bronze but I saw so many signs up saying back stock at Baltimore was 30-50% off at a bunch of booths.  A dealer who was having a terrible show said that everyone is looking for high grade books and everything else is sitting unless at blow out prices.  The collectors seem to be back and they want the hard to find books even if they have to pay a premium.  

What would be a “hard to find” Bronze book?