• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
41 41

7,908 posts in this topic

On 9/19/2024 at 11:38 AM, LordRahl said:

Is it just me or is this just... well let's say, not Neal's best work? Neal's stuff usually stands out immediately as "that's Neal Adams work" but this? I keep thinking he didn't actually do this cover. 

Not sure, I bid on it because I have strong memories with this book.

When I was young and first showed an interest in comics my brothers gave me their books, and they collected stuff like this along with some westerns. A copy of this book was in that group of comics. Over time it got beat up and tossed out, but I always remembered it and I want to have a copy again. But contemporary me wants it in a 9.8, haha. 

On 9/19/2024 at 7:42 AM, Stefan_W said:

Yeah, it certainly has been hot especially on CL. I remember seeing Weird Mystery Tales books going for X10 recent sales values there a few years ago. It was a wild ride, and it just goes to show it is all about who is doing the bidding on a particular site. 

Speak of the devil. Man this book has been hot. Nothing much in GPA but always goes for multiples of last sale at CL auctions. People there must really love Wrightson. 

Anyway, I am watching to see how much this one goes for when the dust settles. 

capture.jpg

On 9/20/2024 at 2:22 PM, Stefan_W said:

Speak of the devil. Man this book has been hot. Nothing much in GPA but always goes for multiples of last sale at CL auctions. People there must really love Wrightson. 

capture.jpg

I was wondering how high this book would go, this is impressive!

On 9/19/2024 at 11:22 PM, Stefan_W said:

capture.jpg

I had my eye on this one, but it's well past my comfort zone at this point. I love Wrightson, but I also like not having to sleep on the couch too. hm

On 9/20/2024 at 12:22 AM, Stefan_W said:

capture.jpg

I was cheering for it to reach the 1k threshold and that is where it landed! 

I made the argument that early 70s horror always seemed to realize great price on Comic Link. Here is another example.

Witching Hour 15 is another nostalgia book for me. A 9.6 copy came up, and I found that the last 9.6 copy sold in Jan 2024 on MCS for 260 so I was set to go 303 just to be safe. It landed at a whooping $535!

The plot twist here is I checked the cert numbers out of curiosity and found that it was the exact same copy as the old that sold a few months ago at MCS, so someone netted a tidy profit on a reasonably short flip.

cl.jpg

mcs.jpg

Edited by Stefan_W

On 9/19/2024 at 10:39 AM, southern cross said:

Amazing prices for DC horror in high grade.

Maybe I should send this book in for a clean press and starch to remove the stacking curl along the spine .Razor sharp corners and white pages I should get a 9.8 white pages.

As long as I get more then the $30 purchase price and mooshing and grading costs I'll be rich I tells ya!

image.thumb.jpg.2dc333172b6ba1eae9169f4182e19261.jpg

Seriously though, high grade uncirculated bronze where we're talking 9.2---up is not common.

PXL_20240627_213429127_MP.thumb.jpg.d6d3995ac3bd77501a157cd2573c6adb.jpg

PXL_20240709_234454704_MP.thumb.jpg.3f8342b9fd21a236704ecfc9e0dcbfab.jpg

Joking aside buy what you like. Just remember because there's a bronze age book that's only have 3 copies in 9.8, doesn't mean they are rare in that grade automatically. There's a chance there's a bakers dozen scattered amongst a few collections.

you're showing marvels, other than some #1s like Shazam and the Kirby books, DCs were not speculated on like Marvels