• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing and keeping yellow label
2 2

23 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Good morning,

In order to retain the Signature Series label, the book would have to be cracked out by CGC.  So, the only way to have it pressed and retain the SS label would be to send it in the holder here to CCS for pressing and have us remove it from the holder, press it and regraded it.

Thanks!

Jennifer - are we certain this is correct? Joe at CFP Comics has been able to crack, press and resubmit CGC Yellow label books for decades. His website still lists he can.  So unless there has been a very recent change - like just in the last few weeks - your answer looks to have one exception. 
https://cfpcomics.com/services/

Edited by Tony S

• Administrator

Hi, I have sent this information over to our Director of Operations and he is checking into it.  At this time, I don't have any additional information but we'll update you as soon as we can.

Thanks!

• Administrator

Hello,

I have heard back from our Director and he advised that Joe at CFP was allowed in the past due to a deal we had with him at the time.  But that has since changed and it is no longer accepted.  Our Director has advised that is no longer listed on the FAQ at CFP.  I'm sorry for any confusion.

Thanks!

So no Joe 100%? That's a shame. 

I gotta say (and not trying to be confrontational, please read this in a friendly tone. :D ) I think CGC seriously needs to start a program of vetting pressers to do SS books. It makes zero sense that a CGC authorized witness (store or whatever) can crack a book to get a signature added, but a presser can't crack it to squish it. Whats the difference? Cracked is cracked. CCS doesn't do the best job compared to some of the other guys out there, and the timeline is kinda bonkers. 

From an outsider view, a number of CGC's latest moves could come across as quite unfriendly and no-quite-predatory-but-definitely-self-serving, such as shrinking the dealer discount and the short timeframe for the price rise. Opening up some pressers as SS options would be a friendly not to the collecting community to show them CGC isn't just abusing a position of (current) dominance. ;)

Oh and graders notes for 9.6 and below. ;)

3 hours ago, Jennifer F. said:

Hello,

I have heard back from our Director and he advised that Joe at CFP was allowed in the past due to a deal we had with him at the time.  But that has since changed and it is no longer accepted.  Our Director has advised that is no longer listed on the FAQ at CFP.  I'm sorry for any confusion.

Thanks!

Terrible decision. This will have the opposite impact on submissions than what CGC think it will. 

Personally I'd love to have a ton of pressers available to crack/re-submit, but from a standpoint of keeping SS 100% legit, it's the right decision to only allow an associated company (CCS, through previous receiving by CGC) to handle this.

Joe is legit, but almost anyone could be swayed by the right amount cash to start getting shady...

12 hours ago, mediaslave said:

So no Joe 100%? That's a shame. 

I gotta say (and not trying to be confrontational, please read this in a friendly tone. :D ) I think CGC seriously needs to start a program of vetting pressers to do SS books. It makes zero sense that a CGC authorized witness (store or whatever) can crack a book to get a signature added, but a presser can't crack it to squish it. Whats the difference? Cracked is cracked. CCS doesn't do the best job compared to some of the other guys out there, and the timeline is kinda bonkers. 

From an outsider view, a number of CGC's latest moves could come across as quite unfriendly and no-quite-predatory-but-definitely-self-serving, such as shrinking the dealer discount and the short timeframe for the price rise. Opening up some pressers as SS options would be a friendly not to the collecting community to show them CGC isn't just abusing a position of (current) dominance. ;)

Oh and graders notes for 9.6 and below. ;)

Haha! I really love this reply. Like when Sheldon asked Penny if she had recently suffered a blow to the head while smiling to make it more palatable. CGC isn't going to let feet in the door if they can help it. They will overload themselves with submissions and peripheral tasks, ruin peoples property, deny responsibility and tell you to like it.

Let's watch:

2 hours ago, Fisionbomb said:

Personally I'd love to have a ton of pressers available to crack/re-submit, but from a standpoint of keeping SS 100% legit, it's the right decision to only allow an associated company (CCS, through previous receiving by CGC) to handle this.

Joe is legit, but almost anyone could be swayed by the right amount cash to start getting shady...

OK, so how is that any different than the CGC authorized shops that can crack SS books to add another signature?

Cracked is cracked, reason doesn't really matter. If CGC can vet witnesses, they can vet pressers :)

9 hours ago, mediaslave said:

OK, so how is that any different than the CGC authorized shops that can crack SS books to add another signature?

It isn't any different, this also lowers the integrity of SS.

5 hours ago, Fisionbomb said:

Using agents sworn to signed confidentiality and obligation agreements is a completely normal practice for pretty much every business. 

6 hours ago, Fisionbomb said:

I disagree entirely. Authorized witnesses have been vetted and sign an agreement to maintain the integrity of the signatures. This would be no different for pressers. Book never leaves their sight, sent over immediately etc...all the same rules. 

On 5/5/2021 at 9:16 AM, Jennifer F. said:

Hello,

Thanks!

So @joeypost , based on what CGC is now saying, what about Signature Series books currently in your possession?  Or is this for any Sig Series books received after a certain date?

Joe has been around for years and is a trustworthy individual.   And no, not all people can be bought for any price....there are people with morals or strong belief systems that will never change. 

I'm a bit surprised though at the sudden change in CGC....Im curious as to why?    Care to fill us in Joe?

18 minutes ago, iae21 said:

So @joeypost , based on what CGC is now saying, what about Signature Series books currently in your possession?  Or is this for any Sig Series books received after a certain date?

Joe has been around for years and is a trustworthy individual.   And no, not all people can be bought for any price....there are people with morals or strong belief systems that will never change. 

I'm a bit surprised though at the sudden change in CGC....Im curious as to why?    Care to fill us in Joe?

That is a question I cannot answer. 

39 minutes ago, iae21 said:

@Jennifer F. Can you please enlighten us? 

Why would you need enlightenment? It's CGC's business. It's their Signature Series Program. They never, ever HAD to allow others to work on SS books, yet they did. Personally, after they acquired CCS, I was surprised to last as long as I did.