• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How long until you Marvel guys come to the DC Darkside because you can't afford to collect your own publisher's books?
5 5

85 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

I was thinking of this thread today as I was looking at some DC books and yeah, no. DC keys are crazy expensive too, since they have that added scarcity of key characters being introduced in the Golden Age.

First Penguin? fogetaboudit.

First Two Face? fogetaboudit.

Second Two Face? lol, you mad bro?

First Giganta, that can't be too bad, right? NOPE!

Ok, so let's get out of the golden age, let's get something more recent, how about first Shiva, can't be a 1000$ book right?

image.thumb.png.5662b7673c2d270c36f684d6333855ab.png

Yeesh, what about Peacemaker, has the Cena hype reached him yet?

image.thumb.png.4b5193be67e932718a00f963f663f9fa.png 

I don't think you can compare Golden Age books - particularly first appearances of iconic characters - to anything in the silver or bronze age. It's an apples to oranges-made-of-literal-gold comparison.

I don't think the Lady Shiva first appearance is a great example either - granted, it's a lot of money for a lesser know character, but it's only the 9.8 book that attracts that inflated value (probably because it's a 9.8) - from 9.6 on down, the book is pricey, but hasn't exploded to nearly the same degree (a 9.4 cost $135 in 2019, and $250 today).

Fightin' Five 40 is crazy at $3500, BUT it's a 55-year-old book, with only 60 copies in the registry, only 3 are graded higher than 9.0, Peacemaker is in an upcoming movie and TV show, and that price (for the third-highest graded book) still PALES in comparison to the valuations which much lower-graded Marvel books (with first appearances by characters of similar stature) are receiving, despite some of those books having 1000+++ copies in the registry.

Again, I don't think DC is immune, but I do feel like the Marvel guys are getting gutted right now in comparison.

31 minutes ago, Kripsys99 said:

Fightin' Five 40 is crazy at $3500, BUT it's a 55-year-old book, with only 60 copies in the registry, only 3 are graded higher than 9.0, Peacemaker is in an upcoming movie and TV show, and that price (for the third-highest graded book) still PALES in comparison to the valuations which much lower-graded Marvel books (with first appearances by characters of similar stature) are receiving, despite some of those books having 1000+++ copies in the registry.

Which books? Which books have a character of similar stature to Peacemaker that have 1000+++ copies in the registry and that go for more than 3500 in much lower grades?

2 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Which books? Which books have a character of similar stature to Peacemaker that have 1000+++ copies in the registry and that go for more than 3500 in much lower grades?

My bad - I meant to write much lower rarity (as you can see by the remainder of the paragraph, that's what I was what I was writing about), not lower grade.

I think Fantastic Four Annual #6 is a decent example/comparison - both books are of a similar vintage (1966 vs. 1968). For FFA6, $3500 will get you a 9.2 (vs. 9.0). However, there are over 1400 copies of FFA6 in the registry (vs. 60), with over 100 graded 9.2 or above (vs. 3). FFA6 features a first appearance by Annihilus - who is probably more well known through comic appearances than Peacemaker, but is now less known to the public given Peacemaker's prominent role in an upcoming tent-pole movie, and a starring role in a self-titled HBO Max show.

I think you will undoubtedly be able to find a few DC books which have seen a marked increase in price of late - comparable to the increases seen across a large swath of Marvel books. However, I think the difference is that for DC, the marked increases in price are the exception - rather than the rule - and the increases which you'll find will generally be on a smaller scale compared to Marvel books. Good if you're holding those books already, not so good if you're still looking to get your hands on them! :)

Edited by Kripsys99

On 5/1/2021 at 2:25 AM, skypinkblu said:

I was trying to decide about looking for a copy of FF 49, I've had a few over the years, maybe more than a few, and they have gone up...and then  I saw this on Clink. FF49 has 3833 copies on the census and Adventure 210, has 151. FF 49 is from 1966, Adventure 210 is from 1955. Maybe he won't be in endgame, but I always thought the kid and his dog story was sweet.

Now it's very possible that there will be a new great FF movie (the first ones were not my favorite although I like the series...and then I thought...who doesn't like dogs? and super dogs...even though it would be hard to have a Krypto movie...151 against 3833...

So I upgraded my copy.

00004082340000113801397002.jpg

Really nice book , Sharon.

I’ve always been a cat person, but all that means is that I’d buy an affordable Supergirl comic instead, Action 261.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 hours ago, The lips said:

D.C had and has incredibly talented writers / Artists. 
Marvel had geniuses,  

that’s the difference to me. 

Kirby's awesome but he eventually found a home in DC too. And when I think of the best writers of all time, I think of Neil Gaiman, Grant Morrison and Alan Moore, all 3 predominantly DC. 

I dont think talent has anything to do with these hot books, no one is reading them. It's just because Marvel is the one to have translated their Comic Universe into a new medium that is reaching more people than before and becoming a shared cultural phenomenon. 

So the real genius behind the crazy boost is Kevin Feige, not the actual comic creators 

8 hours ago, Kripsys99 said:

My bad - I meant to write much lower rarity (as you can see by the remainder of the paragraph, that's what I was what I was writing about), not lower grade.

I think Fantastic Four Annual #6 is a decent example/comparison - both books are of a similar vintage (1966 vs. 1968). For FFA6, $3500 will get you a 9.2 (vs. 9.0). However, there are over 1400 copies of FFA6 in the registry (vs. 60), with over 100 graded 9.2 or above (vs. 3). FFA6 features a first appearance by Annihilus - who is probably more well known through comic appearances than Peacemaker, but is now less known to the public given Peacemaker's prominent role in an upcoming tent-pole movie, and a starring role in a self-titled HBO Max show.

I think you will undoubtedly be able to find a few DC books which have seen a marked increase in price of late - comparable to the increases seen across a large swath of Marvel books. However, I think the difference is that for DC, the marked increases in price are the exception - rather than the rule - and the increases which you'll find will generally be on a smaller scale compared to Marvel books. Good if you're holding those books already, not so good if you're still looking to get your hands on them! :)

FYI, great response, I totally agree.  And sadly I want both FF annual 6 and first peacemaker.  But alas, I missed the  boat.

My main point above is that as this example shows, the price for the DC book may make more sense but it's still damn pricey. So in the end, going from Marvel to DC just seems like switching to a different kind of crazy. Both are not affordable to me (although I will be bidding on a non 9.8 shiva haha).

Edited by William-James88

11 hours ago, Beige said:

Power Girl, Black Lightning and John Constantine stand out as under-priced, but the most under-priced for mine is Batman #357 - Killer Croc is due to explode.

I recon if Batman 357 gets big, it's more about Jason Todd than it is Killer Croc. He has 2-4 other books that work better as his keys (like first first apperance, his first cover, his first unveiling, his first actual face on a cover). 

Edited by William-James88

On 4/28/2021 at 11:02 PM, Kripsys99 said:

Tongue in cheek. That said, I am - at the same time - jealous of the valuations some Marvel books are receiving in the current market, and glad that most DC titles (even keys) are still going for prices which are accessible to many actual collectors (myself included). Given that I think most of us like titles from both publishers - and simply gravitate more towards one than the other - are any of you Marvel die-hards shifting to DC given today's price climate? 

So umm....if you buy on ebay, yeah, you pay big bucks for certain Marvel books. Buuutttt if you hunt by other means, you can do just fine and continue to accumulate great old Marvel books:)

4 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

So umm....if you buy on ebay, yeah, you pay big bucks for certain Marvel books. Buuutttt if you hunt by other means, you can do just fine and continue to accumulate great old Marvel books:)

Out of curiosity, where would one hunt for such books? (Unless, of course, you'd prefer not to say! :)) In my neck of the woods, in-person hunting is strictly verboten at the moment, and the usual online suspects (CLink, CConnect, Heritage, Hakes, My Comic Shop, etc, etc.) all seem to have books for sale at prices which are reflective of today's crazy market (and why wouldn't they).

1 hour ago, Kripsys99 said:

Out of curiosity, where would one hunt for such books? (Unless, of course, you'd prefer not to say! :)) In my neck of the woods, in-person hunting is strictly verboten at the moment, and the usual online suspects (CLink, CConnect, Heritage, Hakes, My Comic Shop, etc, etc.) all seem to have books for sale at prices which are reflective of today's crazy market (and why wouldn't they).

All those places you listed are ripe for inflated prices. Plenty of social media venues where you can connect with people buying and selling at still very reasonable prices:) plus you’d be surprised what a couple posts saying you buy comics will bring in. Since the pandemic started, I’ve found four great collections. All with minimal advertising and a couple safely distances garage meet ups. It’s been great! (And no I’m not in a booming metropolis at all)

In addition countless auctions on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube where prices are very very fair and with a tad of patience, great deals are found.

Edited by comicginger1789

On 5/3/2021 at 5:39 AM, The lips said:

D.C had and has incredibly talented writers / Artists. 
Marvel had geniuses,  

that’s the difference to me. 

I think it has at least as much to do with the editors.  For all the criticism Stan Lee (rightfully) gets for hogging credit and so on, without him there would be none of the qualities that truly distinguish Marvel from DC.  When I look at the vast majority of DC Silver Age books, I don't just see covers and stories I consider to be lame.  I see a deliberate editorial decision to make lame comics.  Most of that stuff is just lazy, and it shows.

To answer the OP:  I don't buy books simply because they're more affordable, I buy books that I love -- and DC comics have simply never been of interest to me.

On 5/3/2021 at 10:15 AM, William-James88 said:

I dont think talent has anything to do with these hot books, no one is reading them. It's just because Marvel is the one to have translated their Comic Universe into a new medium that is reaching more people than before and becoming a shared cultural phenomenon. 

So the real genius behind the crazy boost is Kevin Feige, not the actual comic creators 

One of my favorite YouTube channels, Nerdstalgic, just did a fantastic video on how DC bungled it's cinematic universe, despite having a perfect blueprint courtesy of the DC Animated Universe. The video also compares and contrasts what the MCU got right versus the DCEU. Link below:

6 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I think it has at least as much to do with the editors.  For all the criticism Stan Lee (rightfully) gets for hogging credit and so on, without him there would be none of the qualities that truly distinguish Marvel from DC.  When I look at the vast majority of DC Silver Age books, I don't just see covers and stories I consider to be lame.  I see a deliberate editorial decision to make lame comics.  Most of that stuff is just lazy, and it shows.

To answer the OP:  I don't buy books simply because they're more affordable, I buy books that I love -- and DC comics have simply never been of interest to me.

Yeah I agree in that its as straight forward as that. 
Marvel simply presented better comics and as we all mostly buy out of what we love, Marvel it is.