• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just Bought a 2000 Pokémon Comic

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

This is my first comic collectible & I’m curious how I would go about getting it authenticated/graded. 
It’s still sealed with external products, I’d ideally like to keep it sealed, however if they need to open the seal to grade it I wouldn’t mind too much.

Just wondering how I’d go about getting everything authenticated.

Thank you,

PokeSam

B32BAC32-4F86-4418-8C31-1D30CCAA7B45.png

I would be hesitant to take it out it the bag personally. Only because once it's out, it can't really go back in.  I assume cgc will need to take it out, so maybe this is one you don't grade and you buy an already open one for grading?

If you do want it graded you've got a few options.  You can do it on your own. Get a membership, fill out the forums and ship it to Florida. 

You can also find a comic shop affiliated with CGC who can do the submission for you. Often this isn't a bad way to go when your new at it. The comic shop owner will likely be able to suggest things about the value of the book, if you should get it pressed and so on. They also take care of shipping, which is important because packing comics for shipping can be tricky.

Good luck and welcome to the boards. 

6 hours ago, Die Cardie Die!! said:

That's a comic book?

I'm wondering the same, looks like a free magazine sample they give away in stores to me, but I'm no Pokemon expert.  CGC will grade magazines too btw.

To sort of answer your question, going by the comics I know that came polybagged, doubt CGC will let you keep the book sealed up if you want to grade thru them.  As for authentication, you will probably have better luck finding a dedicated Pokemon board & asking there.

I see the logo of TopDeck Magazine there. And that set of inserts looks like it goes with one of the middle issues of TopDeck, but the red cover there doesn't match the front or back of that issue. Can you post the other side of the packaging, please?

If this is an issue of TopDeck, I'd urge you to keep the polybag intact and to not submit it for grading. There is no established market for graded gaming magazines, and I don't expect one to emerge suddenly. On the other hand, there appears to be at least a little interest in these periodicals still in their sealed polybag (although probably not at the prices some of the ebay sellers are hoping for).

If this is something else entirely, that my change my advice here.

13 hours ago, Sky1 said:

I'm wondering the same, looks like a free magazine sample they give away in stores to me, but I'm no Pokemon expert.  CGC will grade magazines too btw.

To sort of answer your question, going by the comics I know that came polybagged, doubt CGC will let you keep the book sealed up if you want to grade thru them.  As for authentication, you will probably have better luck finding a dedicated Pokemon board & asking there.

It’s a magazine, it wasn’t free though, it was a weekly magazine that came out & it was a special Pokemon edition

9 hours ago, Qalyar said:

I see the logo of TopDeck Magazine there. And that set of inserts looks like it goes with one of the middle issues of TopDeck, but the red cover there doesn't match the front or back of that issue. Can you post the other side of the packaging, please?

If this is an issue of TopDeck, I'd urge you to keep the polybag intact and to not submit it for grading. There is no established market for graded gaming magazines, and I don't expect one to emerge suddenly. On the other hand, there appears to be at least a little interest in these periodicals still in their sealed polybag (although probably not at the prices some of the ebay sellers are hoping for).

If this is something else entirely, that my change my advice here.

CC92AAEC-3D6D-41A6-9A5D-2A763B2FB851.jpeg

EA3710FD-2652-4DEF-B3A7-577E7BFA9874.jpeg

I was correct about what this was, just had the wrong issue. That's TopDeck Magazine v2 #10 (October 2000), not a comic per se. 

That said, you 100% need to keep this one sealed in the polybag with all the inserts intact. Out of the bag, this issue sells for $15-20. In a sealed bag, there are fewer sales, but it looks like market value is somewhere in the $200-400 range. There is zero active market for encapsulated copies of this magazine (which would have to have the bag opened and separated from the inserts).

So, don't worry about getting it graded. The way you have it now is the ideal way to keep this.