• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Careful is CGC during
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hello there little new but I have a Marvel Spotlight #5 with a chip at the top as shown in picture and its attached at one end so if they grade it and it falls off not much I can do right how much would that put me back grade wise I haven’t taken it out of Mylar in hopes that it doesn’t fall off.

1698F57F-997C-401F-96E1-E809B74DDE6D.jpeg

Your best bet is to go to this forum and post photographs of your comic as noted in the instructions. This way, you can get a more accurate estimate of the overall condition/grade of the comic:

Comic book grading advice - CGC (cgccomics.com)

Definitely go to the "Spare a grade" forum for a grade estimate. Regarding how careful CGC is... I'd like to believe EXTREMELY so, but you can find horror story claims that they've destroyed books.  Regardless, judging by the pics and the fact that you're afraid to touch the book: My guess is that bad boy comes off during grading.

So would a sticky note like this do the job? I have the same situation. 

Also, I am thinking it's better to keep it in its current mylar bag than the poly they sent me, to avoid more friction.20210504_105813.thumb.jpg.fe076a5e294d3871d6c9b52165d3cdad.jpg

FYI, no guarantee your sticky notes will do anything. And the chip could always come off during the encapsulation process or even after during transport.

Basically, if you want to make sure your chip is still there, don't send the book.

If you are ok with saying bye bye to that chip, then send away because this is what your comic will look like when it returns
image.thumb.png.a642786e85f096cb0a47c181cf2b59b9.png

I have nothing to lose because as you say

27 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

FYI, no guarantee your sticky notes will do anything. And the chip could always come off during the encapsulation process or even after during transport.

Basically, if you want to make sure your chip is still there, don't send the book.

If you are ok with saying bye bye to that chip, then send away because this is what your comic will look like when it returns
image.thumb.png.a642786e85f096cb0a47c181cf2b59b9.png

I have nothing to lose because if they pay attention great. If they don't they would never notice it. They are doing a press and clean anyway, so we'll see if it lasts through that.

However, perhaps you can suggest help on downsizing the "fragile" submission box. They sent me a package with a large box when I only am sending one book in. It's 8 inches high. Way more than I need.

10 minutes ago, Hownow53 said:

I have nothing to lose because as you say

I have nothing to lose because if they pay attention great. If they don't they would never notice it. They are doing a press and clean anyway, so we'll see if it lasts through that.

However, perhaps you can suggest help on downsizing the "fragile" submission box. They sent me a package with a large box when I only am sending one book in. It's 8 inches high. Way more than I need.

I'm just answering the OP and showing a likely outcome so that they can be informed

5 hours ago, Inhuman Fiend said:

Kiss that chip goodbye until the new CGC trainees settle in and QC improves...judging from the stuff I'm getting back, I'm pretty sure they're all wearing either oven mitts or boxing gloves while handling comics! 

Lovely. Well all I can do is hope right now and remember ultimately that I paid 25 cents for it in 1974 and it has been well read over the years. 

On 5/1/2021 at 10:09 PM, IHaveAProblem said:

Hello there little new but I have a Marvel Spotlight #5 with a chip at the top as shown in picture and its attached at one end so if they grade it and it falls off not much I can do right how much would that put me back grade wise I haven’t taken it out of Mylar in hopes that it doesn’t fall off.

1698F57F-997C-401F-96E1-E809B74DDE6D.jpeg

You're sending them something that's just waiting to fall off....