• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who else collects WAR original art?

79 posts in this topic

krazykat: that Heath cover ROCKS!!!! Love the monster!

Jeffro: Let's see those pages!!! Hehe...go a head and sell yer car...original art doesn't need gas, so you'll end up saving money in the long run! grin.gif

-Hart

Good thread. I'm a fan of war books, especially Sgt. Fury. I haven't purchased any pages yet from that title (though many of them are quite affordable), but here's a Combat Kelly page I own:

Combat Kelly # 5 pg. 7 - Ayers/Vince Colletta

Combat_Kelly_5-sm.jpg

Forgot to mention, in addition to the two Russ Heath covers, there are a number of WAR originals in my CAF Galleries, including covers to CAPT. SAVAGE # 2 by Ayers/Shores, SGT. FURY # 43 by Ayers, a FIGHTIN' ARMY cover featuring "The Long Lonely War of Willy Schultz", a BATTLE STORIES cover, a WARFRONT cover and some great (British) WAR strips 9CHURCHILL and MONTGOMERY OF ALAMEIN) by Frank Bellamy. Have a look through my various CAF Galleries at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

Oops, nearly forgot, there's also Harvey Kurtzman's cover art to FRONTLINE COMBAT # 4 (EC Comics) . . .

Good thread. I'm a fan of war books, especially Sgt. Fury. I haven't purchased any pages yet from that title (though many of them are quite affordable), but here's a Combat Kelly page I own:

Combat Kelly # 5 pg. 7 - Ayers/Vince Colletta

Great Combat Kelly page jimm94! 893applaud-thumb.gif Love the 6th panel of the guys face on the ground!

Btw....I just made a new folder in my CAF gallery for War story artwork...a couple pages from Warfront #1...here's the link: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=15400

-Hart

Forgot to mention, in addition to the two Russ Heath covers, there are a number of WAR originals in my CAF Galleries, including covers to CAPT. SAVAGE # 2 by Ayers/Shores, SGT. FURY # 43 by Ayers, a FIGHTIN' ARMY cover featuring "The Long Lonely War of Willy Schultz", a BATTLE STORIES cover, a WARFRONT cover and some great (British) WAR strips 9CHURCHILL and MONTGOMERY OF ALAMEIN) by Frank Bellamy. Have a look through my various CAF Galleries

DUDE Terry! hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Your collection is sooooo cool!

Btw...Really like the Dalek/Who page..."Exxxterminnate....Exxxterminnate...Exxxterminnate" 893applaud-thumb.gif

I love those Warfront pages, Hart. The inks are quite bold, but still very clean. cloud9.gif

Thanks Jim!

Yah the inks are bold...especially in person! headbang.gif Plus the art is pretty large (14" x 20")...so there's a lot to see.

Btw...here's my next purchase (a birthday gift to myself)...Our Army At War #104...Just got to make some timed payments and this beauty will be mine come mid-October!

oaaw104p5.jpg

-Hart

I have about a dozen Heath pages from various war books. I cannot resist Heath art--it's so uniformly beautiful. One Kubert Sgt. Rock page, one Jack Abel war page, and several pages from an unpublished Ayers DC war story. Also the last page to "Dien Bien Phu" from Two Fisted Tales # 40 by John Severin. A grail would be a Kubert Enemy Ace page, or a Glanzman Willy Schultz page.

One of these days, when I get the time, I'll make a gallery....

I have about a dozen Heath pages from various war books. I cannot resist Heath art--it's so uniformly beautiful. One Kubert Sgt. Rock page, one Jack Abel war page, and several pages from an unpublished Ayers DC war story. Also the last page to "Dien Bien Phu" from Two Fisted Tales # 40 by John Severin. A grail would be a Kubert Enemy Ace page, or a Glanzman Willy Schultz page.

One of these days, when I get the time, I'll make a gallery....

Rex,

Please do make a gallery 893applaud-thumb.gif...all of us would love to see 'em!

Plus Bill Cox's site makes it very easy to post & such:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleriesByAlpha.asp?Letter=A

-Hart

Forgot to mention, in addition to the two Russ Heath covers, there are a number of WAR originals in my CAF Galleries, including covers to CAPT. SAVAGE # 2 by Ayers/Shores, SGT. FURY # 43 by Ayers, a FIGHTIN' ARMY cover featuring "The Long Lonely War of Willy Schultz", a BATTLE STORIES cover, a WARFRONT cover and some great (British) WAR strips 9CHURCHILL and MONTGOMERY OF ALAMEIN) by Frank Bellamy. Have a look through my various CAF Galleries

DUDE Terry! hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Your collection is sooooo cool!

Btw...Really like the Dalek/Who page..."Exxxterminnate....Exxxterminnate...Exxxterminnate" 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks, Hart!

Hey fellas,

Because trying to complete high grade runs of DC War books hasn't been painful enough, I've been picking up DC Wa pages as well. You know, I just go out the tree out back, grab a few handfuls of money off it, and buy whatever pops up.

In all seriousness, though, collecting DC war art is a real pleasure, albeit a painful and expensive one at times.

Here's a Ken Barr Battle Album of mine - TOUGH TO FIND!!!! In fact, it's one of only four battle albums I have seen. If anyone has any nice Glanzman or Kubert BAs, let's talk.

BattleAlbum.gif

One by one, I've picked off some nice pages. I have Heath pages from GI Combat #141 and OAAW #156 that are beauties; a great WW1 aerial combat page from George Evans; a nice pair of John Severin Semper Fi pages; a complete Bob Kanigher Gallery of War story by Ric Estrada, plus another loose BKGOW splash by the same artist; a specialty 'Blitzkrieg' piece drawn by Estrada; a SMOKING Losers page from Our Fighting Forces by Jack Kirby; a few loose USS Stevens pages by Glanzman, and a Ken Barr war story page from Secrets of the Haunted House. The onlly Kubert I've got is a lovely profile drawing of Sgt. Rock that graces the inside of my Sgt. Rock Archives #1.

I've got a lot of my stuff framed, but I'll try and post some stuff later.

Shep