• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who else collects WAR original art?

79 posts in this topic

A complete Glanzman U.S.S. Stevens story would be a grail for me.

I only have one war page somewhere--from the backup story in the early to mid 1970s where General Washington has the young deserter shot as an example to the troops.

Marc

Marc,

That may actually be a pretty valuable page!! It's Fred Ray, and that is widely regarded as one of the best backup stories in DC bronze war. A lot of guys just love that story!!

Myself, not a huge fan of Ray... but there are guys who are. If it's the final page where they stand the guy up to shoot him, that is the money page!

Shep

Hey fellas,

Because trying to complete high grade runs of DC War books hasn't been painful enough, I've been picking up DC Wa pages as well. You know, I just go out the tree out back, grab a few handfuls of money off it, and buy whatever pops up.

In all seriousness, though, collecting DC war art is a real pleasure, albeit a painful and expensive one at times.

Here's a Ken Barr Battle Album of mine - TOUGH TO FIND!!!! In fact, it's one of only four battle albums I have seen. If anyone has any nice Glanzman or Kubert BAs, let's talk.

BattleAlbum.gif

One by one, I've picked off some nice pages. I have Heath pages from GI Combat #141 and OAAW #156 that are beauties; a great WW1 aerial combat page from George Evans; a nice pair of John Severin Semper Fi pages; a complete Bob Kanigher Gallery of War story by Ric Estrada, plus another loose BKGOW splash by the same artist; a specialty 'Blitzkrieg' piece drawn by Estrada; a SMOKING Losers page from Our Fighting Forces by Jack Kirby; a few loose USS Stevens pages by Glanzman, and a Ken Barr war story page from Secrets of the Haunted House. The onlly Kubert I've got is a lovely profile drawing of Sgt. Rock that graces the inside of my Sgt. Rock Archives #1.

I've got a lot of my stuff framed, but I'll try and post some stuff later.

Shep

Nice double-page spread, Shep. Any EC War art - or is just the DC titles you collect?

Terry

Marc,

That may actually be a pretty valuable page!! It's Fred Ray, and that is widely regarded as one of the best backup stories in DC bronze war. A lot of guys just love that story!!

Myself, not a huge fan of Ray... but there are guys who are. If it's the final page where they stand the guy up to shoot him, that is the money page!

Isn't it Estrada? The whole story came up on ebay and if you remember the thread on the Yahoo Big Five Group, it turned out that two or three of us came away with a page or two each for very little money.

I was pleased to see the guys say that it was one the of the best backup stories because it certainly burned in my memory as a kid.

Marc

Marc,

Isn't it Estrada? The whole story came up on ebay and if you remember the thread on the Yahoo Big Five Group, it turned out that two or three of us came away with a page or two each for very little money.

I was pleased to see the guys say that it was one the of the best backup stories because it certainly burned in my memory as a kid.

Marc

Hmmmmmm. Maybe it was.... if so I am getting it confused with another Fred Ray story with a very similar storyline.

Post the page and gimme a gander!!!

And yeah, the price was SOOOOOOOO right on those pages. I got the BKGOW story (5 pages inlcuding the splash) for $175.... which I think was an excellent price.

Shep

Terry,

I don't have any original EC art, but I would LOVE to have some Jack Davis, or some of the Severin/Elder tales. I'd cut my left 'cojone' off for the full story of 'En Crapudine!' by Severin. In my mind, his greatest EC story ever.

Mmmmmmmmm. EC.

Shep

Terry,

I don't have any original EC art, but I would LOVE to have some Jack Davis, or some of the Severin/Elder tales. I'd cut my left 'cojone' off for the full story of 'En Crapudine!' by Severin. In my mind, his greatest EC story ever.

Mmmmmmmmm. EC.

Shep

Shep

Nowadays my collecting interests have shifted almost exclusively towards cover examples. At one time I had the follwing (complete) EC War stories:

MUD by Jack Davis

BULLETS by John Severin

PRISONER OF WAR by Harvey Kurtzman

LOST BATTALION by Johnny Craig

LINK-UP by Severin & Elder

A PLATOON by Severin & Elder

FRANK LUKE by George Evans

Thankfully, I've still got the cover originals to FRONTLINE COMBAT # 4 by Kurtzman and ACES HIGH # 2 by Evans - so I can't complain.

EN CAPAUDINE is top-drawer Severin, though WAR MACHINES and THE TRAP are also standout stories.

The only thing that troubled me about ECs War comics is that Kurtzman didn't make Russ Heath a regular!

That is an awesome piece!!!

Hey fellas,

Because trying to complete high grade runs of DC War books hasn't been painful enough, I've been picking up DC Wa pages as well. You know, I just go out the tree out back, grab a few handfuls of money off it, and buy whatever pops up.

In all seriousness, though, collecting DC war art is a real pleasure, albeit a painful and expensive one at times.

Here's a Ken Barr Battle Album of mine - TOUGH TO FIND!!!! In fact, it's one of only four battle albums I have seen. If anyone has any nice Glanzman or Kubert BAs, let's talk.

BattleAlbum.gif

One by one, I've picked off some nice pages. I have Heath pages from GI Combat #141 and OAAW #156 that are beauties; a great WW1 aerial combat page from George Evans; a nice pair of John Severin Semper Fi pages; a complete Bob Kanigher Gallery of War story by Ric Estrada, plus another loose BKGOW splash by the same artist; a specialty 'Blitzkrieg' piece drawn by Estrada; a SMOKING Losers page from Our Fighting Forces by Jack Kirby; a few loose USS Stevens pages by Glanzman, and a Ken Barr war story page from Secrets of the Haunted House. The onlly Kubert I've got is a lovely profile drawing of Sgt. Rock that graces the inside of my Sgt. Rock Archives #1.

I've got a lot of my stuff framed, but I'll try and post some stuff later.

Shep

1952 Russ Heath BATTLE ACTION # 3 cover original, Atlas (Marvel) - click onto 'Attachments' link.

THAT IS OFF THE CHAIN!!!!!!

That is probably the single nicest Heath original art cover I have ever seen. I have a really nice copy of that book, and it has always been one of my favorites. Knowing that the O.A. still exists gives me a happy feeling all over.

Love to know the story of you came to get that piece.... so much Atlas art was lost or destroyed.

Nice one!

Shep

1952 Russ Heath BATTLE ACTION # 3 cover original, Atlas (Marvel) - click onto 'Attachments' link.

THAT IS OFF THE CHAIN!!!!!!

That is probably the single nicest Heath original art cover I have ever seen. I have a really nice copy of that book, and it has always been one of my favorites. Knowing that the O.A. still exists gives me a happy feeling all over.

Love to know the story of you came to get that piece.... so much Atlas art was lost or destroyed.

Nice one!

Shep

Glad you like it, Shep. I've owned the cover four or five years now. It cam from Ken Danker (Monster's Collectibles) and, before him, Mike Burkey (RomitaMan) had it.

Another attachment for you to see (click onto above link) is harvey Kurtzman's cover art to FRONTLINE COMBAT # 4

951119-FrontlineCombat-CAF.jpg.7d0338b399e1c0385a21bd5c6399a94d.jpg

I talked with Russ last weekend at Hayward-Con, and bought a signed Two-Gun Kid print from him. He is a very nice, quick witted, dirty old man. cloud9.gif

Jim,

thanks for the skinny on Russ (especially the dirty old man part smile.gif )...I've always wanted to meet him (no luck so far). Any chance you may have his contact info?

- Hart

Hart,

I don't have his info, but I'll see if I can get it and will be happy to pass it along.

Two things I forgot to mention about Russ --- He is still in very good health at 79 years old (I've been told he plays tennis regularly), and he drawing skills have not faltered one bit. He was selling recently created inked head shots of Sgt. Rock characters that were just beautifully done. He also had gorgeous female nude portraits available. I especially appreciated how small the pieces of paper he used to cover the "naughty bits" were! grin.gif

Cheers,

-Jim

thanks for the skinny on Russ (especially the dirty old man part smile.gif )...I've always wanted to meet him (no luck so far). Any chance you may have his contact info?

The live female models and the tennis do keep him young. Plus his memories of living at the Chicago Playboy mansion in the 70s. blush.gif

He's represented by Steve Wyatt, which is why he's always at the Hayward show in October. He lives in LA so he's almost always at Wondercon in February too.

You can contact Steve Wyatt through www.super-con.com, as he's the promoter. You also can probably contact him through the Don Rosa Collection auctions on ebay as he's acting as Don's agent on those too.

Marc

I talked with Russ last weekend at Hayward-Con, and bought a signed Two-Gun Kid print from him. He is a very nice, quick witted, dirty old man. cloud9.gif

yeah, soooooooo jealous. I've met Kubert and Severin, but not Heath. Not yet anyway.

Ahhh, Russ Heath.

I've had the pleasure of having dinner with Russ on a couple of occasions at the Big 5 get-togethers at the San Diego con. I also conducted a lengthy phone interview with him (have since lost his contact info - sorry). He's just the nicest, most personable guy. Loads of great stories to tell to, from the industry and from his personal life!

To me, if you love original art, you've just GOT to have a Heath page. The good news is that since he sold his collection to Heritage a few years back, lots of nice pages have entered the market. You can usually find a solid Heath war page on ebay in the $150-$200 range. And they still pop up on Heritage.

Haven't met Kubert, but did do a nice long phone interview with him - another great guy!!!! Met Ric Estrada (a sweetheart!) and Sam Glanzman (awesome) at SD as well, plus Irv Novick and Ayers. I never met Bob Kanigher, but I did share a short correspondence with him before he passed away. The one guy I really have wanted to meet is John Severin, but he rarely does cons (if at all).

Shep