• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who else collects WAR original art?

79 posts in this topic

This is an interesting thread, worth continuing . . . so, I've attached a jpeg of a Frank Bellamy double-page episode of MONTGOMERY OF ALEMEIN (the famous World War II British Field Marshall), from an early 1960s series that ran in Britain's EAGLE comic-book.

Click on the 'Attachments' link above to see the art.

Unlike many American strips, which are illustrated in pen & ink, this series was created as full-colour painted original art.

Bellamy spent many hours at London's Imperial War Museum researching the characters, uniforms and hardware that featured in his comic-strip - and the end-result is a stunningly accurate representation of those times.

To my mind, this rates as the best-ever (illustrated) War strip I have ever encountered.

A larger scan of the original is on view in the FRANK BELLAMY Gallery section of my CAF:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

Hope y'all enjoy . . .

955888-Monty-Alamein-CAF.jpg.8cd8e4738e369232517470deb906ded4.jpg

my next WAR story pick-up....GI Combat #57, page 2 by Russ Heath!!! smile.gif

gicombat57p2.jpg

I should have it in 2 weeks! I'm excited! I'm a BIG fan of WWII planes! cloud9.gif

-Hart

Very cool pickup!!! thumbsup2.gif

I also collect war art, mostly 50s DC with some stories/splashes by Kubert, Heath, and Severin.

I don't have a digitial camera so this was the best I could do with my puny scanner and feeble attempts at Adobe.

979915-Heath1.jpg

979915-Heath1.jpg.772103f2e6edab2e82d85088fc5650c6.jpg

Now that I've gotten the hang of uploading images, I'll post some of my favourite WAR originals. First up is an awsome Frank Bellamy MONTGOMERY OF ALEMEIN (full-colour painted art) Episode (# 11) that was published over here in the UK, circa 1963 . . . htz4me.jpg

My CAF Galleries at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

1009411-Monty-Alamein-CAF.jpg.8776816ba641dd8c210749f756ce4383.jpg

Terry - That Ballamy art is AMAZING! Great detail!

West - The 5 page Speed Comics art is brilliant! Thanks for sharing!

Glad you like it, Hart. Scan doesn't do the art full justice - it's even better in the flesh.

You might like this example from an earlier Bellamy strip, THE HAPPY WARRIOR (The Story of Winston Churchill). Here's a scan of an episode. Unfortunately, the colours have faded slightly on this original . . . hx7mol.jpg

1011929-HappyWarriorComp-web.jpg.b53326f531ee9fd5e8d5ffcfb101570a.jpg