• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Slab Survived!
2 2

45 posts in this topic

The packing inside *definitely* matters. Last week I received a $900 raw book in a Priority Mail Flat Rate box that had been crushed like a bug. Thankfully it was cardboard-sandwiched with STURDY cardboard inside. (A shout out to Worldwide Comics for secure packaging. Well done!)

Just now, JazzMan said:

To me it seems that when a package is marked as Fragile or Handle with Care it's like it's put in the crosshairs of the USPS and are used for target practice.

Good point. Maybe after this I'll save a little money on sticker rolls...😂

4 hours ago, JazzMan said:

To me it seems that when a package is marked as Fragile or Handle with Care it's like it's put in the crosshairs of the USPS and are used for target practice.

I always write "Handle however you want no biggie" on my high dollar books and they arrive unscathed every time.  Carriers dont feel the need to stomp on em as appeared to be the case here.  I guess people dont like being "told what to do" so you write fragile etc and they go "Oh no ya dont" or something.

I went a long time without any damage using stickers, but I've definitely rethought that whole idea. One damaged box to this degree out of hundreds sent is still not bad odds. lol

I was trying to find a photo from a few years ago where it looked like someone stuck a screwdriver into the closing portion of one end. That actually cracked the slab which was a bummer. That's when I went to putting stickers on the boxes.

If it's gonna happen it's gonna happen, part of doing business, and this time I didn't have to hassle with returns and reholdering, etc.

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

Good grief man looks like the postman went Pelé on that sucker!

USPS has a yellow/blue "handle with care" sticker but you're only allowed to use it if you choose a certain special handling which runs an extra 5 bucks or so. I bought a whole roll of those not realizing it. They allowed it the first time though. I suppose they allow other stickers but not the ones from USPS without the special handling. 

Edited by MGsimba77

2 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Good grief man looks like the postman went Pelé on that sucker!

USPS has a blue/yellow "handle with care" sticker but you're only allowed to use it if you choose a certain special handling which runs an extra 5 bucks or so. I bought a whole roll of those not realizing it. They allowed it the first time though. I suppose they allow others stickers but not the ones from USPS without the special handling. 

Maybe that's why some fool kicked/stomped it, they didn't like my stickers....:facepalm:

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

19 hours ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

Believe it or not, the $300 slabbed comic did not get damaged. I always wrap slabs three times one way and three times the other with good bubble wrap when using priority boxes and never had a problem for years now. The buyer contacted me this morning and said the slab almost didn't make it but the packaging protected what looks like purposeful damage to the box.

Just a reminder for all of us to take extra care with those slabs when sending them off, even when in a rush. So much for all my fragile stickers!

(Feel free to post photos of any similar delivery catastrophes you have experienced as well)

Screenshot_20210506-102856_eBay.jpg

I don't put fragile on my flat rate boxes

It makes your box stand out among thousands. I don't want the barely capable postal employees giving my box a second look. Scan it and move on please...thank you.

The delivery people I trust...i don't trust the 3rd shift sorters.

Edited by lostboys
Misspelled word

18 hours ago, JazzMan said:

It amazes me that people think that Usps actually reads the marking on the package other than the address. Best bet is to package it like the Samsonite gorilla is delivering it

10 hours ago, BanjerD said:

Conveyer belts, shipping containers, and machine sorters don't care what your "fragile" label says...  neither does the box of loosely packed monkey wrenches sitting on top of your precious comic.

Matrix flood

Flat rate boxes stay with other flat rate boxes...they don't get mixed in with random boxes.

Here's a neat trick to using a USPS flat rate box to ship a slab.

Go to Fed Ex and grab a medium size Fed Ex box. These actually fit inside a USPS medium flat rate box perfectly.

Wrap your slab in bubble and put it in the Fed Ex box THEN put that box into the USPS flat rate box.

Now your slab has double box protection...makes it near impossible to crush it.

1 hour ago, lostboys said:

Flat rate boxes stay with other flat rate boxes...they don't get mixed in with random boxes.

Here's a neat trick to using a USPS flat rate box to ship a slab.

Go to Fed Ex and grab a medium size Fed Ex box. These actually fit inside a USPS medium flat rate box perfectly.

Wrap your slab in bubble and put it in the Fed Ex box THEN put that box into the USPS flat rate box.

Now your slab has double box protection...makes it near impossible to crush it.

Another trick it to seal the whole box with tape. This not only makes it waterproof, it creates an air cushion inside. Makes it much harder to crush .(thumbsu

5 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Another trick it to seal the whole box with tape. This not only makes it waterproof, it creates an air cushion inside. Makes it much harder to crush .(thumbsu

I always feel slightly OCD for doing this, so it's validating to hear others do it too!  :acclaim: 

11 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

That I do for sure. That's probably what helped further protect the slab this time. I tape the $#*! out of all creases on the side flaps.

I never just seal it with the sticky glue that comes on the flaps. I don't know how many times I've received comics with one end of the box open because they didn't tape it as well!

6 minutes ago, Point Five said:

I always feel slightly OCD for doing this, so it's validating to hear others do it too!  :acclaim: 

Ditto! But it definitely works.