• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grail acquired - from Ebay of all places!

15 posts in this topic

Some of you already noticed I was the high bidder on this one, but for those who didn't, this auction kept me from spending a single dollar at the Baltimore Convention.

I've been looking for a Glenn Fabry painting forever. Glenn has an arrangement with a collector who has right of first refusal on every one of his painted pieces (except for the occasional commission) and owns the entire run of Preacher covers.

I've never seen a published Fabry cover featuring a major Vertigo character hit the market, so I jumped all over this auction and managed to win it for $600 under my max bid.

Anyway, I just got this baby in the mail today headbang.gif:

hellblazer144sm.gif

no UK posting made it a no go laugh.gif

That's probably the only reason I won it.

Hmm...It's a cover by an artist from the UK of a character from the UK, so lets not allow bidders from the UK. foreheadslap.gif The last Fabry Hellblazer cover I took a shot at ended up going to the UK for about $500 more than this one (and it didnt feature JC).

Thanks for all the kind words everybody!

BTW, the details of the exclusive Preacher/cover painting arrangement used to be on Glenn's website, but it looks like he let his hosting bill go unpaid as it's down now.

893applaud-thumb.gifshweeeeet 893applaud-thumb.gif

I've only been able to get one Fabry cover so far from some obscure manga mag. He did have one at SD2005 (one of the son of man covers) but by then I was tapped out. I am however waiting on one of his "occasional" commissions. He is a bit slow on those though. Since commissioning it I have gone to Okinawa, Japan for a year and Iraq for 8 months with some time in the states as well. Only 2+ years and counting confused-smiley-013.gif

Whats the consensus on Fabry pages. I for one think his covers are amazing and have loved them since seeing HB61 on the shelf. But his penciled pages don't really appeal to me. What say you?

893applaud-thumb.gifshweeeeet 893applaud-thumb.gif

I've only been able to get one Fabry cover so far from some obscure manga mag. He did have one at SD2005 (one of the son of man covers) but by then I was tapped out. I am however waiting on one of his "occasional" commissions. He is a bit slow on those though. Since commissioning it I have gone to Okinawa, Japan for a year and Iraq for 8 months with some time in the states as well. Only 2+ years and counting confused-smiley-013.gif

Whats the consensus on Fabry pages. I for one think his covers are amazing and have loved them since seeing HB61 on the shelf. But his penciled pages don't really appeal to me. What say you?

Awesome! What did you request for the commission? I was approached by a guy who said he could set up a commission from Fabry but I couldnt afford it at the time.

I'm not a big fan of Glenn's pencil work. It's a strange style and I dont find it all that interesting. Actually, I'm not a big fan of his superhero painting either (Batman / Judge Dredd), but his Vertigo covers are unbeatable.

Since I've found that I am particularly drawn to any painting of his that is predominantly red, I asked for a naked woman in the desert (I LOVE the desert), ala one of his outlaw nation covers, holding a gila monster during sunset, so lots of red. Yeah, i know, no Preacher or HB characters, what a waste. eh.

Not a big fan of his super-hero stuff either (not a big superhero reader, I'm a vertigo zombie), but , and I hope i got this right, his Vengeance of Bane cover is right up there with the best of his stuff.

Mike

Sweet, the other half of the pair! Awesome pick up.

thecollector - Never seen any Howard covers on the market so I dont really have any idea, but I'd guess $750ish.