• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Tape or Not To Tape....
2 2

28 posts in this topic

I am curious about whether or not I should use a small piece of tape to hold this piece down. Why you ask? Well while I’m unlikely to remove the book a lot from its bag and board, I worry such a piece could catch and rip and cause it to be worse.

‘What about the grade!’ you cry? Well the book is a 2.0, perhaps a generous person would say 2.5 so I doubt a small piece of tape would even hurt...I am just curious what you would do and if you would tape it, what you would use?

82114F60-B540-4FCF-8FC0-76E2BAB20347.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

Slab it :baiting:

I hear cgc is very generous with their grades these days

Or just leave it as is...it’s survived this long without tape $.01

I probably will slab it eventually. My worry being CGC damaging it more if careless. I’ve heard some bad stories within the last year....

8 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

I probably will slab it eventually. My worry being CGC damaging it more if careless. I’ve heard some bad stories within the last year....

Yeh...I can understand your reluctance. I would still take my chances...attach a sweet note asking the graders to please take extra care by pointing out the area before they remove the book from the bag... maybe slip a dollar into the bag :idea: for incentive

Just now, comicginger1789 said:

I appreciate the replies...I won't tape and if I do grade, I will take @Funnybooks advice and clearly note on the bag. And I'll do them better than some dirty paper dollar and give them a dirty Canadian loonie!!!:banana:

The loonie will actually work out better :tink:

I have a friend who is a grader at cgc and he tells me that they do read the notes...now, whether they pay attention to what is written on the notes is a whole different discussion. :insane: 

Just now, Funnybooks said:

The loonie will actually work out better :tink:

I have a friend who is a grader at cgc and he tells me that they do read the notes...now, whether they pay attention to what is written on the notes is a whole different discussion. :insane: 

Maybe I will tape the loonie over the piece that is sticking up! There, that's the solution!

Coming to this late, but just wanted to chime in…an alternative to straight-up archival tape is “mending tissue,” still self-adhesive but extremely thin and also archival quality. I fixed the corner of a similarly beat copy of this old Silver Age issue, applying it from the inside…

D2443B44-716D-44FB-B7A9-44F691E03221.jpeg

44EE23CF-BF8A-4D68-A782-801605AFD608.jpeg

Edited by Grottu

All depends on your take on tape, some HATE tape...

I use tape on books like you have pictured just to keep them from falling apart/getting worse when handled, a book that is a FR 1.0 without tape is still a FR 1.0 with tape but retains all of its pieces, IMO, the tape cannot make an extremely "Well Loved" book any worse for wear than it already is.

4 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

All depends on your take on tape, some HATE tape...

I use tape on books like you have pictured just to keep them from falling apart/getting worse when handled, a book that is a FR 1.0 without tape is still a FR 1.0 with tape but retains all of its pieces, IMO, the tape cannot make an extremely "Well Loved" book any worse for wear than it already is.

Agree. Even the most beat up books from a half-century ago have some value as historical ephemera, and it comes down a matter of conservation if nothing else.

On 5/12/2021 at 9:23 AM, Funnybooks said:

Sometime the notes reveal important defects that can often be overlooked...