• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Tape or Not To Tape....
2 2

28 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

All depends on your take on tape, some HATE tape...

I use tape on books like you have pictured just to keep them from falling apart/getting worse when handled, a book that is a FR 1.0 without tape is still a FR 1.0 with tape but retains all of its pieces, IMO, the tape cannot make an extremely "Well Loved" book any worse for wear than it already is.

I hate tape. But sometimes, you have to do something to help a book's structural integrity. That said, if you ever decide that you have to tape a book, use an archival-quality one. Every time someone puts Scotch tape on a comic book, God kills a kitten.

Also, I wouldn't tape -- archival or otherwise -- that ASM #6. Book should be just fine with limited handling (and surely, you're being careful and limiting direct handling regardless).

1 hour ago, Qalyar said:

I hate tape. But sometimes, you have to do something to help a book's structural integrity. That said, if you ever decide that you have to tape a book, use an archival-quality one. Every time someone puts Scotch tape on a comic book, God kills a kitten.

Also, I wouldn't tape -- archival or otherwise -- that ASM #6. Book should be just fine with limited handling (and surely, you're being careful and limiting direct handling regardless).

Thanks! and yes I will be handling minimally and carefully when I do!

I have a beat up Tales of Suspense 41 with a detached cover. I don’t plan on selling it. It’s for my PC, but I have thoughts of taping the cover on. Not sure if I should or really want to. It’s in a Mylar with 2 full backs and then in a 4 mil archive. Probably won’t take it out of the Mylar much. 

With my torn-up books, when I'm putting them back into their sleeves I'll use two pieces of backing board to sandwich the book first.  Protection on both sides from pulling tears or anything else and then I can slide out the front-cover-side board when the book is in.

If I have a book with a piece fully detached, I'll use tape.