• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent PRE-SCREEN MODERNS Submissions - High Rate of FINGER BENDS ?!?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I've been getting some higher level of rejects recently with my Pre-Screen Modern submissions.  

But even more curious, is that the majority of the rejects (at least 1/2 of them) have Finger Bends on the cover.   I know for a fact that there were no finger bends before.  Its clear that CGC is not handling the books properly (whether it is when they are received, do the page counts, etc).  

Is anyone else experiencing this?

On 5/17/2021 at 9:09 AM, Angel of Death said:

You posted the same exact topic twice within a few days...

I deleted the original post - wrong location.

YES, I AM EXPERIENCING THIS!  Anyone else? ??

On 5/12/2021 at 9:10 AM, iae21 said:

I've been getting some higher level of rejects recently with my Pre-Screen Modern submissions.  

But even more curious, is that the majority of the rejects (at least 1/2 of them) have Finger Bends on the cover.   I know for a fact that there were no finger bends before.  Its clear that CGC is not handling the books properly (whether it is when they are received, do the page counts, etc).  

Yep.

I asked the same question of the board because I got back 2 ASM 300s that were BOTH given a 5.5 grade.

The main culprit...finger bends.

On 5/12/2021 at 9:10 AM, iae21 said:

I havent experienced it, but I can see how that makes sense. Though I cannot believe you when you say you are certain there were no finger bends before since it's impossible to know for sure that it wasnt missed. Did you have your comics pressed by a pro before having them prescreened?

11 hours ago, William-James88 said:

I havent experienced it, but I can see how that makes sense. Though I cannot believe you when you say you are certain there were no finger bends before since it's impossible to know for sure that it wasnt missed. Did you have your comics pressed by a pro before having them prescreened?

Yes, the comics were pressed by well known pressers.   And I personally inspected the comics (carefully) after they were pressed, and sent them into CGC, so I know the condition of each of them.

Were some of them on the fence for a 9.8 candidate, yes, its true.   But I know for a fact that NONE had finger bends.  

CGC is clearly facing pressures, being overloaded with submissions, and not properly training staff on handling books.    Im hoping to get enough people together to send a message to Senior Management to address....

While it's absolutely possible that its happening at CGC, I do tend to find newer collectors that think they know about grading and are usually disappointed when they send in books that they completely missed a defect on.  Who pressed your books?  Another problem are newer collectors sending their books to either new pressers or those who have been pressing for a while but just aren't that good at it.  I tend to see the probability more likely of those avenues instead of a CGC employee causing those "finger bends" even if it is a possibility.

5 hours ago, iae21 said:

Yes, the comics were pressed by well known pressers.   And I personally inspected the comics (carefully) after they were pressed, and sent them into CGC, so I know the condition of each of them.

Were some of them on the fence for a 9.8 candidate, yes, its true.   But I know for a fact that NONE had finger bends.  

CGC is clearly facing pressures, being overloaded with submissions, and not properly training staff on handling books.    Im hoping to get enough people together to send a message to Senior Management to address....

Now I'm wondering if the rejection came before or after the finger bends. Are you thinking of pressing again and resubmitting?.

51 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Now I'm wondering if the rejection came before or after the finger bends. Are you thinking of pressing again and resubmitting?.

How does a book go from 9.8 to 5.5 with finger bends? (shrug)

It is strange since I have NEVER had this problem with CGC before.  How can almost all the books have finger bends? These books had also been pressed by a pro beforehand..... I hope CGC can look into this. I am not the only one as this happened to a friend of mine.  

9 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

While it's absolutely possible that its happening at CGC, I do tend to find newer collectors that think they know about grading and are usually disappointed when they send in books that they completely missed a defect on.  Who pressed your books?  Another problem are newer collectors sending their books to either new pressers or those who have been pressing for a while but just aren't that good at it.  I tend to see the probability more likely of those avenues instead of a CGC employee causing those "finger bends" even if it is a possibility.

Although my "Username" is a newbie, I have been a collector for over 30 years.   I understand very well the grading process, and usually on target or off by a grade when reviewing any raw book.   And I've had over 2,000 books graded at CGC (not rejects) in my lifetime.

Trust me, the mishandling was NOT on my part...I am very careful with my books.  I use a presser on here who is well known to everyone on the CGC boards.  

I just had another two Pre-Screen Moderns finalized today, and any failures were not due to finger bends.  ???  I chalk to up to either a new grader or mishandling by staff along the way.    

My concern is that the volume of books, as well as the need to hire quality staff, simply overwhelmed CGC this year.   I was going to write Harshen about this if this was a common trend.    But as of now, could be one fluke grader's fault.  Ill wait and see for my next few Pre-screens, which are coming due soon.  

7 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Yes, of course!  But with how crazy things are @ CGC right now, I might as well hold on to these books for another few months.  There are alot of kinks that CGC needs to work on.    Training new staff on handling books is one.