• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sending in signed books
1 1

33 posts in this topic

Hello, I have a few signed books with COAs, signed by various people. More notably a few Stan Lee books, that are from stanleecollectibles. I am just wondering if there is a point to send them in to get graded, and also would the signatures be verified and authenticated as well? sorry, if its a common question, just getting into grading my stuff. Thank you for your help. 

IMG_4606.jpg

A675378F-CA47-4AC3-9C79-966632414BC9.JPG

Great question. I recently acquired some semi Xmen key issues with unverified Claremont and Shooter signatures on the cover so I am in the same boat. I did some research and it seems that even if you have a COA CGC will give you a green qualified label with the disclaimer "NAMES WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER."

The books still hold a value though and some green label slabs with unverified signatures have sold for near FMV or in some cases 50% from what I could see. One of my books is an Xmen 100 in the 9.0-9.6 range and I paid $25 for it so even at 50% FMV it is probably worth at least $175 so it makes sense to slab it and get the green label.

I guess the bottom line is there is no way CGC would put a signature series label on a book unless the signature came at a CGC sanctioned in person signing event but others can step in to correct me.

1 hour ago, PickleRick1216 said:

Great question. I recently acquired some semi Xmen key issues with unverified Claremont and Shooter signatures on the cover so I am in the same boat. I did some research and it seems that even if you have a COA CGC will give you a green qualified label with the disclaimer "NAMES WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER."

The books still hold a value though and some green label slabs with unverified signatures have sold for near FMV or in some cases 50% from what I could see. One of my books is an Xmen 100 in the 9.0-9.6 range and I paid $25 for it so even at 50% FMV it is probably worth at least $175 so it makes sense to slab it and get the green label.

I guess the bottom line is there is no way CGC would put a signature series label on a book unless the signature came at a CGC sanctioned in person signing event but others can step in to correct me.

Why would you pay money to get a book slabbed in such a way that it will sell for half what it would unslabbed? The idea of getting a book signed is to increase its value, not decrease it. 

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

Why would you pay money to get a book slabbed in such a way that it will sell for half what it would unslabbed? The idea of getting a book signed is to increase its value, not decrease it. 

I used to get my books signed to have a nice souvenir from a favourite comc creator, like a book signing. Wasn't about increasing value. Of course, I wouldn't get any of those books slabbed.

Also, those are some random books for Stan to have signed. Sure, he cocreated spider-man but he wasn't involved in those books he signed. And lastly, for the OP, those two books there in general are only worth getting slabbed if you are certain they will get high grades.

Edited by William-James88

There some extremely rare instances where it makes sense to grade them anyways, these are likely not those cases.  

1 hour ago, Msgarmar said:

This was one of those times it worked out (that’s a Dave Cockrum signature). 

E4055B89-4ACF-42EC-9141-3BCA215E5476.jpeg

Great book. Thank you for posting this. When you sent it in for grading did they ask you if you wanted a green label or blue label? Do you know how many grades the signature dropped it to reach the final grade of 6.0?

I have seen unverified signature graded books go both ways (blue and green labels) and I am curious how CGC selects which label to use.

4 hours ago, PickleRick1216 said:

Great book. Thank you for posting this. When you sent it in for grading did they ask you if you wanted a green label or blue label? Do you know how many grades the signature dropped it to reach the final grade of 6.0?

Thanks! I actually bought this graded so unfortunately I don’t know the answer to your first question. I can say that the book appears much nicer than 6.0 - maybe 7.5 or 8.0 without the signature. 

3 hours ago, Msgarmar said:

Thanks! I actually bought this graded so unfortunately I don’t know the answer to your first question. I can say that the book appears much nicer than 6.0 - maybe 7.5 or 8.0 without the signature. 

Generally the higher the grade the book would otherwise be the more precipitous the drop in grade.

I think it depends on the book. I have a 1st printing BONE 1 signed by Jeff Smith. I will eventually get it graded and slabbed. The book is desirable because it was so well received and the early issues had such a small print run. 

I think BONE #1 is an instance where the Green Label is not the Green Label of death because it is known that Smith signed a lot of copies before CGC even came on the scene. 

So, I have 3 options: A CGC Green Label. Wait to get it re-signed by Smith at a CGC signing(if the opportunity ever comes up) and have it in a Green/Yellow label. 

Or send it to another company which I cannot name for a Yellow Label/Verified signature.

There is currently a BONE#1 9.8 on ComicLink.com up for auction that is an example of the last option. I am curious to see what it goes for compared to a CGC SS book.

On 5/15/2021 at 9:57 AM, PickleRick1216 said:

I have seen unverified signature graded books go both ways (blue and green labels) and I am curious how CGC selects which label to use.

The grader will determine whether to give it a green or blue label.  However, you can request either during the submission process.  Usually if the book grades above a 7.0 they will give it a blue label and above a green label.  

21 hours ago, !???! said:

If you're talking about sigs on the cover I don't think this is correct. If there's a sig on the cover they don't waste time trying to figure out the "real" grade, they automatically give it a Green and the "apparent" grade. That's why you have to request a Blue, as it doubles the workload. This wasn't always an option either, it used to be Green or nothing for unwitnessed sigs.

Look, I get that this is a very confusing topic.  I emailed CGC and asked specifically how to do this because I was sending in a book with an autograph on it and I didn't want the dreaded green label.  Here's the word for word response I got back.  She says 6.0, but my experience is more like it's around 7.0.  I've received both 6.5 and 7.0, blue labels for autographed issues I submitted without requesting the downgrade and a blue label.  

To request a Universal grade instead of Qualified, please include a hand-written note both on your printed submission form and also attached to the bag of the specific book (post-it on comic bag) and our graders will review and make a determination on that request during the grading process. 

Write in large bold font: PLS DO NOT QUALIFY - DOWNGRADE FOR UNIVERSAL.  Generally at or below a 6.0 the writing/signature on the cover no longer has a significant impact on the grade and our graders may feel it is not necessary to qualify the grade.  They will factor the signature into grade and the book would receive a Universal (blue) label with the same notation of name on cover in marker.  

29 minutes ago, CGCSI said:

Look, I get that this is a very confusing topic.  I emailed CGC and asked specifically how to do this because I was sending in a book with an autograph on it and I didn't want the dreaded green label.  Here's the word for word response I got back.  She says 6.0, but my experience is more like it's around 7.0.  I've received both 6.5 and 7.0, blue labels for autographed issues I submitted without requesting the downgrade and a blue label.  

To request a Universal grade instead of Qualified, please include a hand-written note both on your printed submission form and also attached to the bag of the specific book (post-it on comic bag) and our graders will review and make a determination on that request during the grading process. 

Write in large bold font: PLS DO NOT QUALIFY - DOWNGRADE FOR UNIVERSAL.  Generally at or below a 6.0 the writing/signature on the cover no longer has a significant impact on the grade and our graders may feel it is not necessary to qualify the grade.  They will factor the signature into grade and the book would receive a Universal (blue) label with the same notation of name on cover in marker.  

I'd send any book with an unwitnessed signature to a different company that uses signature experts to determine authenticity.

I have 2 modern fast track unwitnessed signed books SFG at the moment where I requested a universal grade. Both books by my estimation are AT LEAST 9.4 (except for the sig) if not higher. Should only be another week or two and we'll have an answer on how much a signature drops the grade. (Assuming my estimations are correct AND they honor the request) I'll do my best to remember to post the results here.

Edited by Fisionbomb
!

3 hours ago, Fisionbomb said:

I have 2 modern fast track unwitnessed signed books SFG at the moment where I requested a universal grade. Both books by my estimation are AT LEAST 9.4 (except for the sig) if not higher. Should only be another week or two and we'll have an answer on how much a signature drops the grade. (Assuming my estimations are correct AND they honor the request) I'll do my best to remember to post the results here.

I am eagerly awaiting your results. Good luck!

I had my ASM298,299,and 300 signed by Todd McFarland many years ago,,,,,,, I submitted 300 and it came back a 9.0 Green,,,,,,,,,, no way it is a 9.0,,,, I've been hesitant ever since,,,,,, I have fond memories of meeting some of my favorite writers-artists before there were "fees" to do so. I hate the "signature series" stuff,,,,,,,,, kinda "sanitizes" the whole experience for me,,,,,,,,,, I'd just keep your books as they are if it was up to me,,,,

I don't want to take over this thread but my interest in this topic is as follows.

I was the second person to get to cherry pick out of a 2000 book estate sale collection. I messaged the estate executor within 5 minutes of her Facebook marketplace posting and because I am active duty military she made an exception and allowed me to come cherry pick a few books (she wanted to sell the books as a lot and soon after I left she sold them for around $5000). She had a full Walking Dead and Watchmen run but I focused on various early less than issue 100 Xmen and a near complete 100-300 run (missing a few keys).

She told me her late brother was a security guard in Tampa and "was Stan Lee and the other guys favorite security guard" during comic conventions in Tampa for the last several decades. As a result many of the books in his collection had unverified signatures. I can't swear on their authenticity because I wasn't there at signing so they deserve a green label. I want to get them slabbed because I am active duty military and I move a lot so the slabs help protect my collection in transit. I was able to buy all of these books between $5-$25 each. After combing through past sales on gocollect it seems that a green label signature seems to cut roughly 25-50% off of fair market value of an equivalent grade blue label although some sold at FMV at the time.

Pics below. Would anyone else have picked up these unverified signature copies for $5, $15 and $25?

The signatures appear to be in the shape of Chris Claremont and Jim Shooter. I have roughly 25 more raws in similar shape that I haven't inventoried and pictured yet.

1678BE36-1F40-4059-9A91-26B60FFA84C8.jpeg.b7a999ea0c4d0100a4b83eaae729dc1d.jpegF7F26E52-C2B7-423D-8D64-0659DEA00379.jpeg.2132779f438b20dfa638efb64c6b668f.jpegF3758CF3-589F-49FA-9006-C976CC19EBAE.jpeg.66f34c5d7646f11d29e8c8cdc9983b27.jpeg14F44F58-CA93-46F9-BC53-7A14F7F003FB.jpeg.eb4c776a2a789e51a05e20dae50cb7cb.jpeg734AAE6B-E630-438B-BEFA-9ED813942664.jpeg.e61b133e1bb238ff3ed3cd5d1b7ba821.jpegEEAFFC0B-02A6-4C25-9F6F-8AC3095FF840.jpeg.de69e69675e8c677494690e21ee9c70a.jpeg56235F01-4CE8-4939-BE82-3A4544A83198.jpeg.a11c48047992478cba22c68b048c12d0.jpeg