• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How wold you have interpreted this listing?
1 1

26 posts in this topic

I bought a book on ebay and this was the description 

"This book is in approximate 2.0 G condition, has light tan to off-white pages and is unrestored. Cover is attached with tape."

When I inspected the book the cover was split and detached, with the covers being taped back together.

I thought that the cover was being attached to the book with tape. And mentions nothing about it being split. Is this implied?

The seller is top notch and Ive bought from in the past.

Im I being to picky? 

A23DE9C0-E7CD-4A15-B57E-7ED43DA32B51.jpeg

FF155148-D0C8-456B-B654-E9DB5824C794.jpeg

Edited by Raze
Added pics

28 minutes ago, Raze said:

"This book is in approximate 2.0 G condition, has light tan to off-white pages and is unrestored. Cover is attached with tape."

When I inspected the book the cover was split and detached, with the covers being taped back together.

I thought that the cover was being attached to the book with tape. And mentions nothing about it being split. Is this implied?

Im I being to picky? 

A more accurate description would have been "covers are attached with tape" (meaning: to each other) rather than "cover is..." however I'd probably rather own the book as pictured rather than one with random tape attaching it to the interior....but that's just MY preference. 2c

The seller needed to either mention the cover was split. Or have a photo showing the cover split.

By that description it sounds like a  cover is detached from the staples and being connected to the book via tape. Not that there is 2 pieces of a cover that is taped together to make a cover.

9 hours ago, Raze said:

Im I being to picky? 

You are being unsure of your purchase. Honestly, if it was that much of a concern you should have asked all questions up front (Mention this in a nice way :hi: :foryou:).

Your call, you can always ask for a return and let them know you are unhappy with the disclosure

It would help to see the original listing, and what was offered for photos at that time.  Was the taped area shown, inside and out? 

Many sellers don't fully portray their item for sale, not enough photos to go by.  The more that is wrong with it, the number of photos should increase proportionately. 

Some are too lazy and just don't want to do the work.  And some know that the more defects they show, the more they are beating down their own item and its price.  They'll try to get away with the least amount of photos, too.  You have to recognize that and either inquire further or walk away.

Others are willing to do the extra work, more photo time, uploading, additional time describing what is shown.  Just a difference in seller quality.

If you don't really feel that you can judge the condition from the photos provided, you have to ask questions or request more photos.

If unhappy with it, you can ask to return it.  A lot will depend on whether you feel it was worth what you paid for it, and the seller's return policy. 

If you are going for "not as described", it's a bit murky here.  The seller did mention the tape, but he used the word "attached", which clearly it is not.  The cover is "repaired" with tape.  EBay will usually side with the buyer, so you have that in your favor.

If you are unhappy, return it, say item is not as described. I agree that "attached with tape" implies a complete, but detached cover that is reattached with tape, not a completely split cover that is badly put together with tape. With that said, I would have asked for more clarification. Sparkle City is a big seller with good feedback, i don't think they're going to give you a hard time. But their listings say contact them first, so maybe do that before requesting a return.

Just now, the blob said:

If you are unhappy, return it, say item is not as described. I agree that "attached with tape" implies a complete, but detached cover that is reattached with tape, not a completely split cover that is badly put together with tape. With that said, I would have asked for more clarification. Sparkle City is a big seller with good feedback, i don't think they're going to give you a hard time. But their listings say contact them first, so maybe do that before requesting a return.

A VG costs $200 - 240 based on recent sales (although one I see probably could have been a 4.5 with "ebay grading", the $240 one doesn't look like a VG), so in this market a genuine 2.0 should be $90-120-130? So, $85 is on the high end for that copy if we call it a 1.0. MCS has a consignment 1.5 up for $180 (less on their website), but that is wacky consignment asking prices. That book is a mess.

@the blob I didnt want to out Sparkle City but that is who sold the book. The only pics were front and back cover. Ive bought from them before and have had no problems and find they are accurate in their descriptions.

@BigLeagueCHEW Yes I should have asked, but felt since Ive bought from them before and have had no problems I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

@Lightning55 here is the link or check ebay under sold.

Vault of Horror #29 VINTAGE EC Comic Crypt-Keeper Old Witch Golden Age 10

4 minutes ago, the blob said:

Well, I'm not a genius or anything, it took 4 seconds to find the listing on ebay

Yeah you are a pretty good detective. I just didn’t want to out them in case they were an active member on the boards I didn’t want them to be upset.

2 hours ago, Raze said:

Yeah you are a pretty good detective. I just didn’t want to out them in case they were an active member on the boards I didn’t want them to be upset.

You are nice. But they were either lazy or tried to deceive. No big deal though. Only question is do you want the book if given a small refund or if you want to the return it. Contact them with your answer. 

Apparently, this is the second time through for this comic.  It sold in March for $241.50 as a 4.0 https://www.ebay.com/itm/203312403510?

Probably returned for the cover problem, and then reposted as a 2.0.  Couldn't slip it by the first buyer, either.

Maybe you'll return it and they will post it as a 1.0.  You could repurchase it!

26 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

Apparently, this is the second time through for this comic.  It sold in March for $241.50 as a 4.0 https://www.ebay.com/itm/203312403510?

Probably returned for the cover problem, and then reposted as a 2.0.  Couldn't slip it by the first buyer, either.

Maybe you'll return it and they will post it as a 1.0.  You could repurchase it!

WOW I did not know that! I did send a message and called but no answer yet and phone went to voicemail.

22 hours ago, Raze said:

Im I being to picky? 

tenor-10.gif

On 5/13/2021 at 10:10 PM, Raze said:

Im I being to picky? 

No you are not too picky,missaps happens,i think you should tell the seller that the description was a little missleading and you are somewhat disapointed,on the other side when such description is given i investigate further before buying,could have asked plenty of pics,its tip toe situation,just by talking to seller,might help in future buys,building an understanding my2c

Edited by Namtak

5 hours ago, I_Am_Not_A_Cat said:

You are nice. But they were either lazy or tried to deceive. No big deal though. Only question is do you want the book if given a small refund or if you want to the return it. Contact them with your answer. 

Yes being subtile and non agressive helps but you dont have comunicate via a portable cone of silence,that mihht be overdoing it lol

bbb353f56485c71700195de48b67aa74.jpg

I once won a lot of books that included a coverless key. He mentioned in the listing that there was a tear on the last story page, which was fine with me. Turns out there was a big chunk of the last page missing which affected the story. I messaged him asking why did he list it as a tear instead of a piece missing and he said a tear means the same exact thing. :facepalm: