• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My CAF Galleries

20 posts in this topic

A large chunk of my Original Artwork collection is now back on line. Lots of great American and British artwork from the 1940s, 50s and 60s, including Marvel, DC and EC.

Of special note are two very rare 1966 Steve Ditko Superhero cover examples (non-Spidey).

Take a peak at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat1865

A large chunk of my Original Artwork collection is now back on line. Lots of great American and British artwork from the 1940s, 50s and 60s, including Marvel, DC and EC.

Of special note are two very rare 1966 Steve Ditko Superhero cover examples (non-Spidey).

Take a peak at:

Hi Terry,

I've always loved those Dan Adkins covers, TTA 96, 98 and the Strange Tales.

Superb examples from the Silver Age, from a terribly underrated artist.

Best,

Awesome stuff! thumbsup2.gif

Love the Star Spangled War Stories dino cover. Hmmm, didn't somebody around here post that in another thread? Figured it wasn't something THEY owned.... yeahok.gif

I'm pretty sure it did actually belong to KRAZY KAT at one time, but I got it from Mike Burkey about a year-and-a-half ago.

Terry

Love the Star Spangled War Stories dino cover. Hmmm, didn't somebody around here post that in another thread? Figured it wasn't something THEY owned.... yeahok.gif

I'm pretty sure it did actually belong to KRAZY KAT at one time, but I got it from Mike Burkey about a year-and-a-half ago.

Terry

Hi Terry; you're right he did own it... I wonder if Brad ever owned it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifDan

Terry

Hi Terry; you're right he did own it... I wonder if Brad ever owned it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifDan

Hi Dan

Yeah, Brad . . . that's the Kat!

Take a peak at:

Hi Terry,

I've always loved those Dan Adkins covers, TTA 96, 98 and the Strange Tales.

Superb examples from the Silver Age, from a terribly underrated artist.

Best,

Hi Hari

Glad you like the Adkins covers; it's a puzzle to me why the artist's not held in higher regard - he produced some very nice work over the years and was a credit to his mentor, the great Wally Wood.

Terry,

I actually had been watching your gallery since it went up with great interest. You've got some great stuff, and i agree, that Tomahawk cover is awesome !

Mike

Hi Mike

Glad you like the TOMAHAWK cover; very sombre and moody. Adams could command our attention and interest - even when no frenetic action is involved in the imagery!

A few recent additions to my CAF Galleries:

Paul Reinman's cover art to THE MIGHTY CRUSADERS # 3 (March 1966), featuring a whole bunch of Superhero types from this short-lived Archie title!

Secondly, Joe Simon's cover art to UNEARTHLY SPECTACULARS # 2 (December 1966), starring JACK QUICK FROST, "The Coolest Hero in Comics", in combat against LORD LAZEE, "World's Laziest Villain." Definitely one of the wackiest cover images I've come across - but lots of fun! grin.gif

Obscure titles, but variety is the spice of life . . .

Here's the link if you feel inclined to take a peek:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

I've added a FOR SALE OR TRADE section to my CAF Galleries.

A handful of mixed items, the highlight of which is

STRANGE TALES # 164 cover by Dan Adkins

This is a rare (Large Art) Silver Age MARVEL cover featuring "Doctor Strange". I'm very fond of this cover, but seeing that I have three Adkins covers - I might be prepared to let this one go in trade for something suitably good. Right now, my main interests are EC covers and other types of 1960s Marvel covers.

Here's a link to my CAF Galleries, should you feel inclined to take a peek at the new section:

The reason Adkins is not held in higher regard is that he got a reputation for swiping. His mentor, Wally Wood had full file cabinets of pictures to swipe. However, when Wood did it, it looked like Wood and not like the original. When Adkins did it, it looked like what he swiped. My very first posting in this Society got responses that showed that my Adkins Gun Girl was practically a tracing of a picture of a video game character.

Dan Adkins was and, if he still did that sort of thing, no doubt would still be a superlative inker, because he can imitate style etc. so well, but he will always have this stigma attached to his other work.

The reason Adkins is not held in higher regard is that he got a reputation for swiping. His mentor, Wally Wood had full file cabinets of pictures to swipe. However, when Wood did it, it looked like Wood and not like the original. When Adkins did it, it looked like what he swiped. My very first posting in this Society got responses that showed that my Adkins Gun Girl was practically a tracing of a picture of a video game character.

Dan Adkins was and, if he still did that sort of thing, no doubt would still be a superlative inker, because he can imitate style etc. so well, but he will always have this stigma attached to his other work.

Sounds as if the debunking of your Adkins GUN GIRL piece has left you traumatized, Robert! laugh.gif

Sure, Adkins learned the art of swiping from Wood - as did Joe Orlando years before. In fact, I remember Orlando mentioning in an interview that once he knew how to make Wood's 'swipe files' work to his advantage, he quickly improved as a strip-illustrator.

Being an incestuous business, most comic-book artists swipe from one another. I remember looking at Al Williamson's 1960s FLASH GORDON comic-books, and coming across dozens and dozens of (near-exact) swipes of Frank Hampson and Frank Bellamy artwork from the (British) DAN DARE strip of the 1950s.

It's a common enough practice - no startling revelations here. wink.gif

I think the main criticism of Adkins's art, is that it was too reminiscent of Wood's work.

You know, two of my absolute favourite comic-book cover originals are those for TALES TO ASTONISH # 96 and # 98. There's a strong nostalgic hold for me, with those two - and I just happen to think they're the best "Sub-Mariner" cover images from the run of TALES TO ASTONISH. Now tell me, Robert, where did Adkins swipe these two cover images from . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My CAF Galleries (including the two Adkins TTA # 96 and # 98 cover originals) at:

Don't get me wrong, I like Dan Adkins. I wish he'd inked every Wood piece Wally didn't ink himself. The question was why he isn't held in higher regard. He probably didn't do more swiping than Wood and many others but he got caught. I do think that his virtual tracing of Gun Girl was inexcusable, but its low price was probably in part a reflection of its lack of originality.

Don't get me wrong, I like Dan Adkins. I wish he'd inked every Wood piece Wally didn't ink himself. The question was why he isn't held in higher regard. He probably didn't do more swiping than Wood and many others but he got caught. I do think that his virtual tracing of Gun Girl was inexcusable, but its low price was probably in part a reflection of its lack of originality.

Yes, I appreciate your point, though I can't say I'm overly-familiar with this terrible reputation you seem to suggest Adkins has as a 'swipe' artist. Nor am I familiar with this GUN GIRL piece you talk of - is that a famous (infamous?) piece of art? confused-smiley-013.gif

So, Adkins got caught 'swiping'. As I suggested, previously, most artists are guilty of swiping (they would view it as a learning aid, or solution to the day-to-day production of art).

Now that I've mentioned that Al Williamson made large-scale swipes of Hampson and Bellamy DAN DARE art, does that make him "caught"? Is Al's reputation going to plummet as a result??? wink.gif

Going back to Adkins, perhaps you can cite some famous examples of his swiping? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif