• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #46 CGC 9.2 Rare SA Triple Cover !!!

21 posts in this topic

how can the outside cover get an 8.5 yet the book grades 9.2? The interior covers have nothing to do with the book (manufacturing defect). Does CGC just count them as interior pages or something? It's a nice book, i just don't understand the logic behind the grade. From the outside it's no 9.2 imo...

Why would a double or triple cover get a Green label? Having an extra cover is a long way from not having a staple,or other DEFECTS.

Does anyone consider an extra cover a defect?

CGC,and most collectors of multi-coveed books give two grades. One for the outer cover and one for the interior cover.Some give the overall grade as the inside cover,assuming that is what the book would grade if the outer cover was removed.

so a book with an 8.5 outer cover is worth a 9.2 because the inside cover is nice? That makes no sense to me. You can't assume or there would be 100's of 10.0 because the inside pages are white. the majority of the grade depends on the OUTSIDE cover...

It's still a nice 8.5 smile.gif but i wouldn't pay 9.2.

Okay,let me put it another way.Suppose,just suppose,that the buyer of this book were to remove the two outer covers. What you have left is a book with a 9.2 cover,no?

Remove the cover of a 8.5 book with a perect interior and what do you have? A coverless comic.

You are free to disagree,but that is the basis for grading double covers. The outer cover serves as a buffer and protects the inner cover from most harm.While I have never removed an outer cover,I imagine it can be done quite easily and with no evidence of it being there.

Okay,let me put it another way.Suppose,just suppose,that the buyer of this book were to remove the two outer covers. What you have left is a book with a 9.2 cover,no?

Yes, that's it exactly. The best of the multiple covers is what's given the biggest importance. That's almost always not the outside cover.

Unlike when you CGC any book and can't read it,right?

The point is moot,as I won the auction and am now that much closer to completing my dream of having triple covered Avengers 1-200.It might not be the highest graded run,but it certainly will be unique. thumbsup2.gif

The point is moot,as I won the auction and am now that much closer to completing my dream of having triple covered Avengers 1-200.It might not be the highest graded run,but it certainly will be unique. thumbsup2.gif

O_O

Good luck with that set. I am trying to get as many Double Cover ASMs as I can get. Race you to the finish line! tongue.gif

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

cool so when you cgc it, you're paying for a cover you don't see. makes perfect sense

I've seen quite a few double (triple etc) covers and in the overwhelming majority of the cases, the outer cover is a lower grade than the inner cover. Removal of the cover could be quickly and cleanly with a razor blade leaving no trace except for a slight looseness in the staples that would be within the tolerance of the manufacturing process.

The reason the collecting community and CGC don't grade by the outer cover, is that they understand the result would be the removal of the outer cover and the disappearance of the vast majority of the double-cover comics. This would be very likely to occur whether or not there were comics grading companies. You can think of this attitude as a courtesy on the part of those who don't care about double-covers for those who do.

I don't have any problem with CGC using the interior cover as the primary grade. As others have posted, one oculd simply remove the outer cover and get the interior's grade...this way CGC is preserving double/triple covers as collector's items (whether or not you agree if this is kosher is up to you...).

congrats on your book, i guess CGC double covers aren't my thing

Thanks. Just as I can no longer see the point of paying 50X guide for a Marvel variant,I guess some folks can't see paying 3X guide for a one of a kind triple cover.

If everyone had similar collecting tastes,........

congrats on your book, i guess CGC double covers aren't my thing

Thanks. Just as I can no longer see the point of paying 50X guide for a Marvel variant,I guess some folks can't see paying 3X guide for a one of a kind triple cover.

If everyone had similar collecting tastes,........

If you have the stomach for it...there's a quadruple cover of a Silver Age DC key on eBay right now.

Quadruple Cover Green Lantern #40

This almost slipped under my radar, but it doesn't make a difference anyways. No way that I can outbid Serpi when he really wants something. Christo_pull_hair.gif