• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

House of Mystery #179 CGC 9.4

92 posts in this topic

I just noticed that auction. What a freeking incredible price for that book so quickly.

The last GPA sale was July 2003 for $368.

CRAZY! 893whatthe.gif

Thanks for sharing. thumbsup2.gif I was wondering what the last sale or sales were. I don't follow the GPA stuff, but it's good to know, and I guess it explains why this book is so much: There hasn't been a decent one for sale in over two years.

I just noticed that auction. What a freeking incredible price for that book so quickly.

CRAZY! 893whatthe.gif

Thanks for sharing. thumbsup2.gif I was wondering what the last sale or sales were. I don't follow the GPA stuff, but it's good to know, and I guess it explains why this book is so much: There hasn't been a decent one for sale in over two years.

Considering this is not even a highest census book, the price is a little crazy.

CRAZY! 893whatthe.gif

Considering this is not even a highest census book, the price is a little crazy.

This may not be top census, but doesn't the 9.6 have a miswrap? This may be the best-looking copy and that has to count for something. Given the choice, I would take the copy with the perfect registration over a 9.6 with a moderate to bad miswrap. I am sure there are plenty of others who feel the same way.

I need to check GPA. I don't recall a 179 selling in 2003 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree Rick--although the current price was self-inflicted. There are two 9.6 copies---one of the 9.6 copies (Dallas Stephens) had bad registration (and I know who has it), and I've never seen the other copy. I personally don't want to wait another 2-3 years, but it looks like I might have to...

Edit: Thanks Rip for the link. That one slipped past me!

I need to check GPA. I don't recall a 179 selling in 2003 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree Rick--although the current price was self-inflicted. There are two 9.6 copies---one of the 9.6 copies (Dallas Stephens) had bad registration (and I know who has it), and I've never seen the other copy. I personally don't want to wait another 2-3 years, but it looks like I might have to...

Edit: Thanks Rip for the link. That one slipped past me!

hi.gif check my link. And the other 9.6 is qualified.

hi.gif check my link. And the other 9.6 is qualified.

Arghhh! That book is fugly---especially on the back cover. And that color loss on the ULC.... Doesn't look too 9.4 for me. (although the corners are decent). Looks like a tweener to me.

The Dallas Stephens 9.6 has bad registration.

The other 9.6 is qualified GLOD.

The 9.4 from Heritage 2003 has bad registration and funky things going on the back cover.

That leaves one other 9.4 that we haven't seen yet.

Yeah, IMO, the ROSA book is definitely the best one I've seen to date. It's ironic really considering how bad these camera pics are tongue.gif It will be interesting to see if this book starts popping up like the 190 and 183...I personally have my doubts. As a dealer told me, the mystery books were for toilet reading (and still is!) and people didn't treat them well--like war books.

I agree, in general that the mystery books were fun reads and not "collected and protected' perhaps. But, we are talking about the 70s here, a time when many of us were buying but not reading many comics. My HOS 92 survived very well by chance as the surrounding issues were more beat up. And it wasnt because it turned out to have been Swampies first apperance. I just bought it and read it quick (I guess) and put it in the pile where it sat for 10 years until I bagged it with 85 - 94. When I popped open the baggie, I was pleased that the "big one" in the bunch was in the best shape.

I once owned the Northland copy of this. It was a CGC 9.0 that I got on eBay, several years back. Don't know when since I don't track stuff, but I got it and the whole back cover was tanned like it had been in the oven. I couldn't bring myself to dump it on someone else, so I traded it in person at a local con, being sure to point out the back cover. Next thing I know, like a week later, someone had it on eBay again. So we can count that one out of being anywhere in the "nice" range. Structurally it was accurately graded, but that tanned back cover was a real turn-off, to me at least. I have a perhaps 8.5 or 9.0 raw copy, so I'll make no secret that I plan to most likely go after this. It's interesting to see that the high bidder retracted his bid, but it's still sky high. Then again, it's the first Wrightson DC work, so maybe this is justified. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

sky high? We haven't even scratched the surface.

You may be right. All it takes is two people who really want this book to make it go out of control. I'm continually surprised though that people bid these auctions up so early like this. I can't see any point to this strategy that's beneficial to the buyer. All it does is alert others to bid higher than they would have. I never would have dreamed it would go this high, so now I'm giving serious thought to just how high I am willing to go -- if I'm willing to go higher at all.