• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

House of Mystery #179 CGC 9.4

92 posts in this topic

I can't see any point to this strategy that's beneficial to the buyer.

The answer to that lies in your statement here:

"I never would have dreamed it would go this high, so now I'm giving serious thought to just how high I am willing to go -- if I'm willing to go higher at all."

thumbsup2.gif

I'm the one who sold that Northland copy on ebay.. I think I sold it to Greggy? The copy sucked big time with its tanning. I was able to find a raw NM copy. I may consider getting it slabbed now. Its still an undervalued issue and scarce to find in high grade.. I think its a fair price as it stands.. HOM #174 CGC 9.4 sold for $747 and its just the 1st horror format.. We're talking about Wrightson here!!! acclaim.gif

I'm the one who sold that Northland copy on ebay.. I think I sold it to Greggy? The copy sucked big time with its tanning. I was able to find a raw NM copy. I may consider getting it slabbed now. Its still an undervalued issue and scarce to find in high grade.. I think its a fair price as it stands.. HOM #174 CGC 9.4 sold for $747 and its just the 1st horror format.. We're talking about Wrightson here!!! acclaim.gif

mmmmm.....Wrightson.... cloud9.gif

$1,658 foreheadslap.gif

Well, at least we know Ewert didn't get his hands on this book.

There was no doubt in my mind that I would win this book. Frankly, I'm astonished I got it for so little. This being from the DR collection pretty much gives me the assurance I need it's not trimmed. Can't wait to get this puppy. I will make some good scans and post it for you guys if you're interested.

Joe

$1,658 foreheadslap.gif

Well, at least we know Ewert didn't get his hands on this book.

There was no doubt in my mind that I would win this book. Frankly, I'm astonished I got it for so little. This being from the DR collection pretty much gives me the assurance I need it's not trimmed. Can't wait to get this puppy. I will make some good scans and post it for you guys if you're interested.

Joe

Congrats Joe! hi.gif

Joe,

Congrats! Out of curiosity, what was your max bid?

I'm beginning to think I will never get HG copies of 174,179,183 and 190. I've been smoked by everyone. frown.gif

BTW, I called today and got grader's notes, and as usual, the information is practically non-existent. They said "slight edge wear".

Thanks, Sterling. thumbsup2.gif I'll make no secret of my max bid: $3344.55, if for no other reason than those keys were together and I got home at the last minute. It's not like this book is going to be up again, so it's a done deal. It blows me away how much people pay for common books, but here is a book that is never in true high grade with nice cover quality (not tanned) and it goes for a song. The Don Rosa book I have in my collection and the ones I have seen are snow white in appearance. This book I believe is a bargain and a gem based on my experience collecting this title for the last twenty years. One of these days I'm sure we'll meet up at one of these forum dinners and I'll show it to you. But I'll be sure to have a personal bodyguard with me at such time. poke2.gif

Joe

Joe

Only 16x guide - hard to believe you had to pay so little for it!! screwy.gif

952975-M%26Ms2.jpg

um, ok.

I applaud your testicular fortitude to bid that much. It would've been interesting if one of the common HG BA Horror collectors were in on this. My bid was too low to be registered.

No, don't show me the book--it will only make the scar deeper. My quest continues. I'm curious what your HOM collection is like since I don't usually see you bidding on this stuff.

I'm jealous and relieved at the same time. (the kind of relief when you find out your spouse/girlfriend isn't pregnant).

Again, congrats on the acquisition. I would be just as excited as you if I had won it.

589a8f534a970_952975-MMs2.jpg.c61ea5fe78dc520877d3ac59fe432894.jpg

27_laughing.gif

Sterling, I would only show you the book if you want to see it. I'm not trying to scar anyone. You're certainly welcome to see my collection. Give me a call if you're in DC sometime.

As for guide prices, how can the guide say what something is worth? As someone who started a collection of these two decades ago, I can attest how hard this book is to find in true high grade and without miswraps, tanning, etc. It is the grail for a Wrightson collector like me. There are not many books I actively seek, and they're all upgrades anyway, so I'd rather throw big bucks at this than an Amazing Spider-man 300 in 9.8, or an X-Men 266, for example. At the end of the day I'm happy with my purchase, and if someone says I'm crazy, fine. I'd rather be crazy than still looking for a high grade copy of this book. THAT will make anyone nuts. insane.gif

Joe

Looks like the lube-meister greased this one up real good! 893whatthe.gif

Well, I'd certainly rather have this than a 9.8 Daredevil 168...that's fer shure! thumbsup2.gif

Hey buddy! Do anything special on your big day?

Just went out to steakhouse. The bars will be hit this weekend. My buddy's ex-girlfriend and I share a birthday, so everyone always goes out together every year. Another of my friends took a job in Maine, and is moving on tuesday, so it will be a big occasion. cloud9.gif