• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

House of Mystery #179 CGC 9.4

92 posts in this topic

Read the thread. People are saying that it was "foolishness" and he's crazy to bid that high, yada yada. Where do you see some of these comments saying what they would do personally? They are outright bashing his decision on the book. Those people should STFU!

Since that's obviously a jab at my post... what I SAID was that spidey 300 in 9.8 was foolishness... but sure, I'd say a HOM 179 in 9.4 for 1600 is foolishess too... happy? tongue.gif If he's happy with the book then that's all that matters, but to me it's too much. I wouldn't have offered my opinion on that unless it was already being discussed, by the buyer himself. If you don't like for my opinion that's your problem sumo.gif

Buyer's opinion is that it was bought for a "song." I take the opposite viewpoint. What the hell's wrong with that? yeahok.gif

Nothing's wrong with it. The whole reason I started this thread was to draw attention to this book and hear other people's opinions. Anybody coming on these forums expecting 100% pure love from everybody is naive to say the least. Trust me, I was glad to hear all the opinions. I know I'm not crazy (really, I'm not insane.gif), so I don't take any offense in people suggesting I am. As for the foolishness of the purchase, several people pointed out that finances are relative, and I honestly agree. If Bill Gates purchased this, clearly he can afford it, but if someone puts it on a credit card with no forseeable way of paying it off, for example, yeah, that is foolish. Dan is right that this was an affordable purchase for me - he knows me personally - and I paid for it with cash, so don't worry, guys, my financial future has not been compromised in any way. laugh.gif Frankly, I was surprised I won the book at this price. I was expecting Joe Serpico or Sterling or a couple others to come out on this one with guns blazing. And you know what? I think I did pay out the for it, so I take back my "for a song" remark, which in retrospect seems a bit arrogant, especially in light of all the tragic world events lately that have caused many of us to rethink our priorities. If I was the kind of guy that didn't donate to charities, etc., I'm sure this kind of buying could appear very obnoxious. But...bottom line is I think it's one of the coolest comics ever, I'm still happy I won it, and I look forward to sharing it with you guys once it arrives and hearing your opinions again. thumbsup2.gif

Joe

Personally, I wouldn't be able to lay out that kinda cash on any book with a scan so small. You guys say it's so beautiful but you can't see the flaws or possible slab damage. Label's nice however. Playing Devil's Advocate............ devil.gif

946703-hom179.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't be able to lay out that kinda cash on any book with a scan so small. You guys say it's so beautiful but you can't see the flaws or possible slab damage. Label's nice however. Playing Devil's Advocate............ devil.gif

946703-hom179.jpg

Good point. I took a bit of a gamble with it but based my gamble on how nice the Don Rosas are that I've either purchased or seen in person. They are all uniformly clean, off-white, off-white to white, or white covers as far as I have seen. My biggest concern with this issue has always been cover tanning. If I don't like this issue, it will go on comiclink where it will have no problem selling.

Joe

Have you received the book yet?

Yes, I did, and I apologize for the delay in posting this, but I didn't receive the book for almost three weeks, then I was messing around with my new scanner which is top of the line but doesn't do well with the depth of these cgc slabs. Here's the best I can do till I get the glare issue worked out. Overall, it's a nice book, about what I expected.

987049-hom.jpg

Read the thread. People are saying that it was "foolishness" and he's crazy to bid that high, yada yada. Where do you see some of these comments saying what they would do personally? They are outright bashing his decision on the book. Those people should STFU!

Since that's obviously a jab at my post... what I SAID was that spidey 300 in 9.8 was foolishness... but sure, I'd say a HOM 179 in 9.4 for 1600 is foolishess too... happy? tongue.gif If he's happy with the book then that's all that matters, but to me it's too much. I wouldn't have offered my opinion on that unless it was already being discussed, by the buyer himself. If you don't like for my opinion that's your problem sumo.gif

Buyer's opinion is that it was bought for a "song." I take the opposite viewpoint. What the hell's wrong with that? yeahok.gif

Nothing's wrong with it. The whole reason I started this thread was to draw attention to this book and hear other people's opinions. Anybody coming on these forums expecting 100% pure love from everybody is naive to say the least. Trust me, I was glad to hear all the opinions. I know I'm not crazy (really, I'm not insane.gif), so I don't take any offense in people suggesting I am. As for the foolishness of the purchase, several people pointed out that finances are relative, and I honestly agree. If Bill Gates purchased this, clearly he can afford it, but if someone puts it on a credit card with no forseeable way of paying it off, for example, yeah, that is foolish. Dan is right that this was an affordable purchase for me - he knows me personally - and I paid for it with cash, so don't worry, guys, my financial future has not been compromised in any way. laugh.gif Frankly, I was surprised I won the book at this price. I was expecting Joe Serpico or Sterling or a couple others to come out on this one with guns blazing. And you know what? I think I did pay out the for it, so I take back my "for a song" remark, which in retrospect seems a bit arrogant, especially in light of all the tragic world events lately that have caused many of us to rethink our priorities. If I was the kind of guy that didn't donate to charities, etc., I'm sure this kind of buying could appear very obnoxious. But...bottom line is I think it's one of the coolest comics ever, I'm still happy I won it, and I look forward to sharing it with you guys once it arrives and hearing your opinions again. thumbsup2.gif

Joe

This is one of my grail books. All I have to say that in the last 5 years as I travel around the country this book is impossible to find in 9.0 and above anywhere. The price is fair..........

There is no bindery tear at the top even though it looks that way in the scan. It is almost like a printing defect because you can see the green dot patterns over the light tan area at the very corner and the corner is actually very sharp.

Ken