• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Potential merging of DC and Marvel characters?!
2 2

103 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, I_Am_Not_A_Cat said:

All depends on how many friends disney has in the right places. And Disney may have little or no desire to purchase WB. Just DC comics rights.

Disney purchasing just DC would be very difficult: (1) because of direct anti-trust concerns, and (2) because WB selling just DC would likely be very expensive from a tax perspective. 

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

I would add Legend of the Dark Claw to my pull list so fast, even Barry Allen would be impressed.

I think I have most of the Amalgam books.  Just came across Iron Lantern yesterday. 🤣

3 hours ago, EastEnd1 said:

Disney purchasing just DC would be very difficult: (1) because of direct anti-trust concerns, and (2) because WB selling just DC would likely be very expensive from a tax perspective. 

why expensive n taxes? they're like in fire sale mode, they may be losing money. at&t and warner mess everything up.

11 minutes ago, the blob said:

why expensive n taxes? they're like in fire sale mode, they may be losing money. at&t and warner mess everything up.

Oh no, not at all... both WarnerMedia and AT&T make A LOT of money.  AT&T is in fact a cash cow... that's why it has traditionally paid such a high dividend.  Just take a look at it's financial statements.  Also, Warner Bros has owned DC for a VERY long time... so it has a VERY LOW tax basis in it.  

On 5/21/2021 at 4:07 AM, HotKey said:

Avengers vs Justice League?

It may not be so far fetched...

Marvel and DC might exist under the same umbrella

If this happens, then I predict that this event will mean, that Batman overtakes Superman as top icon in the superhero pantheon. IF the batman universe joins the MCU and Disney+ under Feigi the franchise will go absolutely ballistic.

Edited by Mr bla bla

On 5/21/2021 at 8:01 PM, EastEnd1 said:

Oh no, not at all... both WarnerMedia and AT&T make A LOT of money.  AT&T is in fact a cash cow... that's why it has traditionally paid such a high dividend.  Just take a look at it's financial statements.  Also, Warner Bros has owned DC for a VERY long time... so it has a VERY LOW tax basis in it.  

I am more talking about Warner. AT&T bought Warner a few years ago for $85 billion. If they're spinning off the entertainment parts (which is most of it?) are they really getting more than that? Warner has spent the last few years seemingly destroying the DC brand. So while Warner paid nothing for the DC portion of the company years ago, AT&T paid plenty. Of course, FOx got plenty for X-Men and FF after all those disaster movies.

28 minutes ago, the blob said:

I am more talking about Warner. AT&T bought Warner a few years ago for $85 billion. If they're spinning off the entertainment parts (which is most of it?) are they really getting more than that? Warner has spent the last few years seemingly destroying the DC brand. So while Warner paid nothing for the DC portion of the company years ago, AT&T paid plenty. Of course, FOx got plenty for X-Men and FF after all those disaster movies.

Agreed that AT&T is definitely taking a loss on WarnerMedia... but that's more attributable to the rich premium it had to pay to get Time Warner in the first place and the fact that it's strategy to combine the two company's was neither well thought out nor executed on.  Fact is, AT&T lost most of the talent that had built Time Warner and knew how to run an entertainment company when they tried to impose, let's call it, "AT&T approaches" and "synergies".  This mistake happens in the corporate world a lot.  Covid certainly played its part too in creating havoc on the production end.  The company had, and continues to have, some of the best assets in the business though.  Will be interesting to see it run by true media people again going forward (Discovery).  And I think that's really what this deal is about... AT&T admitting to itself that it doesn't know how to run an entertainment business.  So put it in the hands of people that do and give it directly to the shareholders so they can decide whether to continue to participate in it or sell it... AT&T shareholders are getting 70% of the combined entity.  (And kudos to AT&T management for figuring this out pretty quickly because the turnaround on this deal is REALLY embarassing!).  Seems to me the DC properties will remain strategically integral to the combined entity... would be very ill-advised to dispose of the greatest franchise producing assets the combined entity will own.  Only way I see this happening is if the debt AT&T off-loads with WM is so great that Discovery/WM has no choice but to sell DC.  I think that's unlikely though... it doesn't make sense for anybody's shareholders. 

Also, not to get too complicated with tax stuff... but if WarnerMedia sells DC, the gain is calculated based on what WarnerMedia's tax basis in DC is (presumably very low), not what AT&T paid for WarnerMedia overall.  It may be possible for Disney and WM to partner or joint venture in combining their characters and avoid the tax, but this gets into a host of other issues.    

This is gathering some steam in the rumor mill.

All I can say is I see a lot of people laughing it off, not necessarily here, but I remember how much most people laughed when the rumor first broke years back that Disney was buying Star Wars. 

You just never know...

Just now, HotKey said:

If the FTC cared about comics, they would make publishers and exclusives disclose true print runs.

What? I'm talking about sales ($) not print runs.

13 hours ago, D84 said:

What? I'm talking about sales ($) not print runs.

I'm just talking about the jurisdiction of the FTC in general, they also are in charge of advertising. 

My point was if the FTC cared about the comic industry and doing their job, they would enforce their rules against "misleading or deceptive advertising" that just about every publisher and store exclusive does with their "Limited to 1000" etc misleading and deceptive claims.

Those are different things.

ALL mergers are approved by the FTC. Marketing is not. No business runs their advertising by them. The only way they know about deceptive business practices is if a complaint is filed.