• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to cards, is this a production error?

8 posts in this topic

Hi all. Been doing comics for years but my friend got me in to cards (god damnit! Lol)

He has bought a Pokemon card and I am not sure if this is a production error or the guy he bought it off is full of it so I said I would post here so you great people could confirm. 

I get the crease on the side is what it is but the huge line? Also, if you wanna post a grade we would be grateful. Thanks!

6D853B2B-2FD0-4E17-A4BE-455BA6ED92DB.jpeg

F515D8F2-9588-4FCC-8FAD-5680BAA77171.jpeg

341050C9-BEA3-489C-BEA4-5D9C83D4F140.jpeg

Edited by Steven Dunhill
Title wrong

17 hours ago, Steven Dunhill said:

I am not sure if this is a production error

Card grading differs comic grading when it comes to manufacturing/production imperfections.  If you look at the CGC Grading Scale, they speak of "manufacturing or handling defects."  Imperfections such as poor centering or a less-than-totally-sharp image are technically manufacturing/production defects.  Yet each can result in a serious/substantial downgrade.  If you're going to "get into" cards, it's critical to be able to recognize the various imperfections that count against grade.  Don't expect CGC or PSA to give the card "a break" just because the crease occurred during manufacturing rather than from post-production handing.

1 hour ago, zzutak said:

Card grading differs comic grading when it comes to manufacturing/production imperfections.  If you look at the CGC Grading Scale, they speak of "manufacturing or handling defects."  Imperfections such as poor centering or a less-than-totally-sharp image are technically manufacturing/production defects.  Yet each can result in a serious/substantial downgrade.  If you're going to "get into" cards, it's critical to be able to recognize the various imperfections that count against grade.  Don't expect CGC or PSA to give the card "a break" just because the crease occurred during manufacturing rather than from post-production handing.

Hence the reason for my post. So you haven’t really helped me as I know the grading scale and I know it differs from comics, I am not dumb. I have been grading comics for almost 30 years but never took any care or interest in cards until my friend showed me his Pokemon collection. I just wanted opinions on if it was a manufacturing error or not and a potential grade if my friend wanted to send it in

3 hours ago, Steven Dunhill said:

Hence the reason for my post. So you haven’t really helped me as I know the grading scale and I know it differs from comics, I am not dumb. I have been grading comics for almost 30 years but never took any care or interest in cards until my friend showed me his Pokemon collection. I just wanted opinions on if it was a manufacturing error or not and a potential grade if my friend wanted to send it in

Probably not an error. I wouldn’t send that in for grading if I were you unless you want like a 3