• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Decent modern manga?

16 posts in this topic

Hey all,

just finished my October previews order....keep seeing a lot of new or ongoing manga titles towards the back of the booklet wink.gif

Anyone care to recommend some essential reading?

I've read and thoroughly enjoyed the likes of Akira, Appleseed, Dominion, Ghost in the Shell etc... so would be looking for something as compelling as Shirow or Otomo....

Cheers,

I'm really enjoying Battle Royale. It's definitely an NC17 type book though.

I second the recommendation of Battle Royale, and if you haven't seen the movie yet, I recommend that as well cloud9.gif

Hadnt noticed the BR comic....movie was indeed a classic wink.gif

I'll add em to my Nov pick list for a few months...see how they read!

Many thanks!

...and have you checked out Battle Royale 2 yet?

It's not as good as the original, but still a fun flick nonetheless 893applaud-thumb.gif

Here's the synopsis:

(If you haven't seen the first movie yet, or plan on reading the manga, there are some SPOILERS in this summary)

"It has been three years since Shuya Nanahara escaped from the Battle Royale contest from which he emerged victorious. He has now formed a terrorist organization, along with Norika and other survivors of the game and has declared war on all adults. In response, the government has enacted the Battle Royale II Act. A new class of teens has been selected to go after Shuya, who has made his base on the island he once fought for his life on. Now, he must fight for it once again, as a horde of armed teens are forced to bring him down, or die trying."

Hadnt got round to it EvilAsh.....i read the synopsis a while back....had actually assumed it would be one of those [embarrassing lack of self control] sequels!!

I'm due a mad eBay DVD buying session soon....i'll add it to the list....

Every so often i go through the top 250 rated films on IMDB and pick a few i havent seen for purchase....

amazing how many gems you find thumbsup2.gif

Blade of the Immortal is killer, as is Samurai Executioner.

Two books I want to read. Of course, there are about a dozen more books I want to read beyond those two and that's without trying...

I Highly recommend you (and everyone else over the age of 18) pick up the first TPB. The rest are similar, but the first one is a great read!