• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Signature Series broken case and reholder service question.

14 posts in this topic

I recently bought a comic book locally, it's CSC SS 9.6 New Mutants #98, I noticed that I can open the left and right sides of the case slightly and slide my nails in, but not the top and bottom, however, I can see a crack from the bottom of the case, but I can't feel the crack when I scratch it with my nails, I think the crack might be inside the case? I can see cracks in the corners, and again, I can't feel the cracks with my fingernail and cannot open the corners. Please check the posted photos, can you guys tell me if this is the 9.6 , or if the book has been swapped? Also, can I send this in for reholder services?

Top_Right_1.jpg

Top_Left_5.jpg

Right_Side.jpg

Bottom_Right_(2).jpg

Bottom_Left_(3).jpg

Bottom.jpg

Edited by LiangJue
wording

5 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

4th pic has a crack, lower corner

Perhaps, but no way it was swapped and remember he was testing the flexibility by opening sides...

I know 2nd gen I got today  has a different kind of a mylar holder that has edges, but I think your talking about the bottom frame fracture and I dont remember checking that part of my slab to see what it looks like

Nor did I apply stress to see where it would fracture first

But with all that in mind

You have a good point :headbang:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

It's virtually impossible to remove a comic from encapsulation without destroying the case.

The mylar the book is sealed in is much too big to simply slide out, even if one post is broken. You absolutely have to break two posts. You would risk damaging the book trying to remove it with only breaking one post.

How do I know? I tried, more than once. I bought a Xmen 40 from a pawn shop, the case was broken already and it was filthy.

The other was a Aliens 4, I noticed some dimples on the front cover, which was made post grading, most likely someone laid a case halve on top of it and the posts dug into the book.

I'll be cracking some more old slabs out soon, maybe I'll make a video. Whoever is using their "logic" to spread misinformation about encapsulation, is highly misinformed.

Now, in this instance, if you don't like the slab condition, send it in as is for a reholder. 

On 5/24/2021 at 3:15 PM, LiangJue said:

can you guys tell me if this is the 9.6 , or if the book has been swapped? Also, can I send this in for reholder services?

Yes it's a 9.6 (because the CGC grade says 9.6)

No the book hasn't been "swapped".

Yes you can send it in for "reholder" services.