• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To all the folks complaining about the increase in OA prices this past year...
1 1

141 posts in this topic

On 6/4/2021 at 6:14 PM, exitmusicblue said:

Does anyone else do this -- occasionally approach prices/costs for anything via the lens of OA prices?

Like if I'm debating over the price of something totally unrelated to art, I'll just rationalize it by saying, "Oh, that's barely half the price of a ____ page.  C'mon ya wimp." lol 

Yes and maybe too often. Usually as a way to justify the price.

On 6/4/2021 at 9:22 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Not if you are making money on it (or trying to). Then, it would be a side business. 

And yes, people do collect cars, but rarely do they have a lot of them, and it is often in the context of restoration, show, and/or amateur track racing, or, they are just into buying junk. We never buy junk. 🤭

as an ex- Corvette collector I think the most I saw by an unknown celeb (a dentist was 22) - damm I had 3 plus parts to make maybe one more (and we never had Vettes here in Aus), and most car hobbyists I knew almost always lost money on cars, when adding all parts, storeage haulage etc

The elements are now in place for a bit of hot air to come out of the collectibles market, including OA. 

Retail sales are down 1.3 percent in May, but dining and drinking out is up 1.5%. Elsewhere, traffic at airports is estimated at 90% of pre-pandemic levels. Housing prices are at an all time high, but available homes for sale, particularly below $500,000 are at an all time low, inhibiting large purchase items. A few months ago, it was reported that there were now more real estate agents then there were homes for sale. Gas prices are up, and used car prices are, too, with new car sales being artificially held down due to a lack of chips needed in their manufacture. Other data paints a consistent picture. Apparel, for example, is up, because people need new clothes to go out.

So, what does all that mean? People can now spend on services, instead of big-ticket goods items (and for housing, left little choice in the matter). And they are. That should carry over to OA, where a choice between a family vacation and collectibles exists again, thereby cutting into demand. This is now a good time to think really carefully about the price on that nifty page of OA, because it may be sitting in inventory a long time if it has seen any price resets over the past year.

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

The elements are now in place for a bit of hot air to come out of the collectibles market, including OA. 

Retail sales are down 1.3 percent in May, but dining and drinking out is up 1.5%. Elsewhere, traffic at airports is estimated at 90% of pre-pandemic levels. Housing prices are at an all time high, but available homes for sale, particularly below $500,000 are at an all time low, inhibiting large purchase items. A few months ago, it was reported that there were now more real estate agents then there were homes for sale. Gas prices are up, and used car prices are, too, with new car sales being artificially held down due to a lack of chips needed in their manufacture. Other data paints a consistent picture. Apparel, for example, is up, because people need new clothes to go out.

So, what does all that mean? People can now spend on services, instead of big-ticket goods items (and for housing, left little choice in the matter). And they are. That should carry over to OA, where a choice between a family vacation and collectibles exists again, thereby cutting into demand. This is now a good time to think really carefully about the price on that nifty page of OA, because it may be sitting in inventory a long time if it has seen any price resets over the past year.

Let’s wait until Thursday’s platinum day results are in.

by the way, the Marvel Spotlight #5 that I mentioned earlier in this thread took a nice leap from $96K to $150K recently.  That has to be the record for any Bronze Age book!

48 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

by the way, the Marvel Spotlight #5 that I mentioned earlier in this thread took a nice leap from $96K to $150K recently.  That has to be the record for any Bronze Age book!

I wouldn’t worry about Thursday. I expect the air to be slowly let out of the price bag (prices tend to be sticky downward). Nothing is likely to be visible in a month or so, but in 6 months, and looking backward in particular, yes. The question then becomes how dealers with high priced inventory will respond.

51 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I wouldn’t worry about Thursday. I expect the air to be slowly let out of the price bag (prices tend to be sticky downward). Nothing is likely to be visible in a month or so, but in 6 months, and looking backward in particular, yes. The question then becomes how dealers with high priced inventory will respond.

I expect they will sit tight or even make acquisitions, should prices fall for a while. There will be another wave.

1 hour ago, tth2 said:
  4 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Anything with "limited supply" is not necessarily affected by people spending their dollars somewhere else. Only takes a few people to drive up these prices, as would be the case with Original Art. 

Now that said, while OA is one of kind, 100s to 1,000s of page by the same artist (say Kirby) that mostly look the same, really has a lot of "supply". Therefore, one could see that if money is being spent on other items, certain OA with a lot of supply could come down in price. 

4 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Holy cow! :whatthe: MS #5 is one of my all time favorite books, and I even have a couple of nice pages from the issue, but 150k for the book seems absolutely bonkers. Prices like these on comics helps me relate to my wife's reaction to the prices I pay for original art--she just can't process the concept. Of course, the one of a kind aspect of collecting OA seems like all the justification I need versus collecting comics, but that's another conversation.

5 minutes ago, sfilosa said:

Anything with "limited supply" is not necessarily affected by people spending their dollars somewhere else. Only takes a few people to drive up these prices, as would be the case with Original Art. 

Now that said, while OA is one of kind, 100s to 1,000s of page by the same artist (say Kirby) that mostly look the same, really has a lot of "supply". Therefore, one could see that if money is being spent on other items, certain OA with a lot of supply could come down in price. 

There may be hundreds of even thousands of pages of "supply" of Mike Ploog art, but there are only about 20 pages from MS #5. That's your relevant apples to apples comparison.

1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

There may be hundreds of even thousands of pages of "supply" of Mike Ploog art, but there are only about 20 pages from MS #5. That's your relevant apples to apples comparison.

The bidders would likely say that there are only four MS #5 graded at 9.8 on the CGC census and given the black cover, more are unlikely to come out of the cracks in the future. 

7 hours ago, Skizz said:

The bidders would likely say that there are only four MS #5 graded at 9.8 on the CGC census and given the black cover, more are unlikely to come out of the cracks in the future. 

That's a bet I would never take for any SA or BA book.

16 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

It may not be very noticeable as OA didn’t spike as much as other collectibles, but time will tell

Much of the bull market in comics/OA was led by new money going in to the most liquid Marvel key comics, so that's the segment I'm watching for signs of a pullback. I agree with you that OA should be a little more insulated to downside shock as less fast money went in to it.