• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you find out a print run?

16 posts in this topic

I've been collecting for some years now. (mainly silver/bronze) but just recently got serious into collection some moderns as one of my favorite characters is miles morals! 

How can I actually find out how many copies of ultimate fallout 4 were printed? 

Or other books in my collection like hulk 181 or tales of suspense 39?

Thanks in advance! 

Joseph

Print run might be tough

comichron has sales numbers for a specific distributo, I don’t think you’ll find print run unless you get a job with Disney or whoever was the printer at the time.

SA/BA books published their circulation numbers annually as part of the required ownership requirements. I usually go with the one published closer to the comics cover date.

It's important to realize that many comics reported as unsold ended up being sold out the back door.

Modern books are easier to find numbers on, but 
I'm not sure how accurate the numbers are when you get into variants and such things.

6 hours ago, revat said:

Print run might be tough

comichron has sales numbers for a specific distributo, I don’t think you’ll find print run unless you get a job with Disney or whoever was the printer at the time.

Seems like the best bet is to get a ballpark figure then.. 

I only ask because since this boom in the comic industry, sellers claim to know exact numbers for print runs on all books. 😆

4 hours ago, shadroch said:

SA/BA books published their circulation numbers annually as part of the required ownership requirements. I usually go with the one published closer to the comics cover date.

It's important to realize that many comics reported as unsold ended up being sold out the back door.

Modern books are easier to find numbers on, but 
I'm not sure how accurate the numbers are when you get into variants and such things.

Note taken. Is there any particular location to find these disto runs? 

2 hours ago, xxdeadpoolxx said:

Seems like the best bet is to get a ballpark figure then.. 

I only ask because since this boom in the comic industry, sellers claim to know exact numbers for print runs on all books. 😆

In some cases, the PUBLISHER will publicly release print run data, possibly for a special variant or possibly a smaller publisher.

In a lot of cases people can make reasonable assumptions/estimations of RELATIVE print run, like high, lower, , rare, super rare, etc.  but anyone making numerical estimates ... is probably being extremely loose with their truth in marketing. 

don’t get fooled by ratio variants either, while their is usual at least some correlation to print run, the company can print however many they want for any reason regardless of how many were pre-ordered, and any additional copies can significantly  affect the relative population size and therefore the value

2 minutes ago, revat said:

In some cases, the PUBLISHER will publicly release print run data, possibly for a special variant or possibly a smaller publisher.

In a lot of cases people can make reasonable assumptions/estimations of RELATIVE print run, like high, lower, , rare, super rare, etc.  but anyone making numerical estimates ... is probably being extremely loose with their truth in marketing. 

don’t get fooled by ratio variants either, while their is usual at least some correlation to print run, the company can print however many they want for any reason regardless of how many were pre-ordered, and any additional copies can significantly  affect the relative population size and therefore the value

With the crazy market comes crazy honest sellers lol 

Thanks for the information, going to think twice about picking up the UF 4 Djordjevic variant in today's market now. Or any variant at that! 

Best source for estimated modern print runs is ICV2 - which compiled them monthly based on Diamond orders from March 2001 - March 2020. See here:https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/1850

Gets a lot fuzzier after that, both because the publishers stopped publishing last spring due to the pandemic and more recently with DC pulling out of Diamond.

The other caveat are their sales figures are only for first month, and don't include re-orders - so presume actual orders shipped to stores are 3-5% higher.

For Ultimate Spider-Man # 4, see here.

https://icv2.com/articles/comics/view/21030/top-300-comics-actual-august-2011

It was the 5th most-ordered book of the month, with just under 74,000 copies shipped. Which means the full print run is likely ~80,000 copies.

20 minutes ago, Exit said:

So which one is more accurate, icv2 or Comichron?

I don't know, but it looks like they pull from same data (although ComicChron now pulls from Diamond and DC). 

For example, checking both for Aug. 2011 (the month Ultimate Fall-Out # 4 was released), they list identical numbers for the Diamond orders for the first five books.

i can’t remember exactly, but if you’re looking at the distribution and trying to make estimates, I think they don’t necessarily include international numbers.  So if that matters to anyone they should factor that in too