• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic storage and musty smells

9 posts in this topic

I’ve been thinking about storing my bagged and boarded comics In a clear plastic bin, but I have sone questions:

1. can any plastic bin be used (just a standard bin from Walmart) 

2. I live in a non air conditioned house with humidity around 60% or higher and high fluctuations in temperature (Ohio)

3. some comics smell musty through the plastic sleeves, should I store those separately or are they safe to put with the rest in the plastic bin?

If you put them in a plastic bin, with a lid, you're basically creating a humidity chamber. I would avoid this. (MIGHT be ok if you use dessicant, but still...)

If you've got musty smelling books, I'd change out the bags/boards and store them separately. 

IMO card board comic boxes are your best bet. Unfortunately your current conditions aren't ideal for comics. 😣

11 hours ago, djzombi said:

Get a dehumidifier ASAP if you can!  

I store my comics in my basement which is great for light and temperature, but usually terrible for humidity.  However, I have a dehumidifier (just a standard-grade $200-ish one) and it does a great job of keeping the humidity below 50%.  

agree 100% with this as I do the same 

13 hours ago, Fisionbomb said:

If you put them in a plastic bin, with a lid, you're basically creating a humidity chamber. I would avoid this. (MIGHT be ok if you use dessicant, but still...)

If you've got musty smelling books, I'd change out the bags/boards and store them separately. 

IMO card board comic boxes are your best bet. Unfortunately your current conditions aren't ideal for comics. 😣

A resounding NO to cardboard boxes.  They too will absorb moisture and it won't be long before they too start to smell musty.

Get, if you can, plastic long boxes specifically made to store comics (You'll see these often at shows.  Dealers use them to transport their stock) AND a dehumidifier.  Plastic long boxes have ventilation at the handles and they don't absorb moisture.  

On 5/28/2021 at 1:27 PM, Rika24 said:

I’ve been thinking about storing my bagged and boarded comics In a clear plastic bin, but I have sone questions:

1. can any plastic bin be used (just a standard bin from Walmart) 

2. I live in a non air conditioned house with humidity around 60% or higher and high fluctuations in temperature (Ohio)

3. some comics smell musty through the plastic sleeves, should I store those separately or are they safe to put with the rest in the plastic bin?

1. As long as it isn't sealed, I don't see why not.
  2. Get a dehumidifier.
  3. Replace the bags/boards and store separately.

2 hours ago, Angel of Death said:
  1. As long as it isn't sealed, I don't see why not.
  2. Get a dehumidifier.
  3. Replace the bags/boards and store separately.

Expounding on #3.

IMO all or your most valuable/cherished/coveted books and put them in Mylar Bags (Mylites) with Acid Free Boards.

Since you are not able to store your books in the most desirable/optimal conditions, you do not need to compound that with degrading bags.

Plastic (Poly Bags) degrade over time and as they degrade produce acids that can/will damage your books over time, in ideal conditions Poly Bags should be replaced every 5 years.

Mylar is an inert/stable/archival safe material that will not degrade and does not contain any releasable materials that can damage the book, they are good for a lifetime.

https://www.egerber.com/

https://www.bcwsupplies.com/comic-book-storage

2 hours ago, GPCEE said:

Aren't all those white long boxes made of cardboard?

There are white long boxes made of cardboard.  

I have plastic boxes made specifically for storing comics and they're white.