• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To press or not to press.

6 posts in this topic

Recently sent a large batch of books to be pressed and graded.  A few were already slabbed but were red label or had opportunity to improve IMHO.  Below are grades and grader notes. Looking for opinions I guess but I’m Leaning to having them all done at cgc ccs.  Just not sure what a possible bump up might be. Any advice is welcome. 

Possible .5 -1 grade bump on both with a clean and press. Most of the flaws on the gsx aren’t pressable. The creases aren’t noted as color breaking but depending on their size don’t look to be too significant in the notes. On the issue of Bone, the area seems to indicate an impacted corner which may or may not be improvable

2 hours ago, B2D327 said:

Possible .5 -1 grade bump on both with a clean and press. Most of the flaws on the gsx aren’t pressable. The creases aren’t noted as color breaking but depending on their size don’t look to be too significant in the notes. On the issue of Bone, the area seems to indicate an impacted corner which may or may not be improvable

Thanks.  The Bone is a corner and bumped up from an 8.5 to a 9 but somehow went from white to ow/w🤷🏻‍♂️   My thought are that the local press maybe couldn’t get it as well as ccs but really don’t know.  The book is flawless except for that small corner ding. The gsx I think maybe the tracing and the very light creasing might press out but again not sure. 

Edited by jawn

On 5/28/2021 at 7:18 PM, jawn said:

Just not sure what a possible bump up might be. Any advice is welcome. 

Without knowing if the creases break color or not, no way to tell. You should also be prepared for the possibility of no bump at all. It happens. 

I’ll post pics once the GSX arrives tomorrow. I thought the grader notes would state color breaking crease(s).  I have little experience with grader notes though and yes I’ve had a few books done through on-site grading which went down after a pressing. Thanks for the feedback and look forward to any more after pics go up.