• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazon Prime's THE TOMORROW WAR starring Chris Pratt (2021)
2 2

25 posts in this topic

Looks like this was a success for Amazon

‘The Tomorrow War 2’: Amazon & Skydance Already In Talks For Sequel Reteaming With Chris Pratt, Director Chris McKay & More

EXCLUSIVE:  In response to this past weekend’s hugely successful global streaming debut of The Tomorrow War, Skydance and Amazon Studios are in discussions, I hear, on the development of a sequel to the Chris Pratt sci-fi pic.

I understand discussions are in place to bring the whole creative gang back both in front of and behind the camera including director Chris McKay and screenwriter Zach Dean; and stars Pratt, Yvonne Strahovski, Betty Gilpin, Sam Richardson, Edwin Hodge and Oscar winner J.K. Simmons. Paramount is also involved in the sequel; the studio originally attached to distribute the first film theatrically.

The global sci-fi actioner launched on July 2nd around the world exclusively on Prime Video in over 240 countries and territories and debuted at No. 1 across streaming platforms over the holiday weekend, per Screen Engine’s PostVOD. The film ranks as the biggest live-action streaming movie of the summer, starting with Screen Engine’s PostVOD summer reporting in May. There’s been a great response from Amazon Prime users with 20,55K reviews giving the Pratt pic a 4.5 out of 5 stars — one of the highest quantity and positive score on the service for their recent releases over opening week. In addition to the #1 ranking across streaming platforms in the US, Prime Video saw worldwide record-setting viewership in Brazil, India, France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Australia, Mexico, Argentina and Japan. In 3M Smart TV terrestrial households, streaming analytics corp Samba TV reported that 2.4M U.S. Households tuned into Tomorrow War, another big weekend for Amazon in the wake of Tom Clancy’s Without Remorse (2.3M U.S. households 3-day per Samba) and Borat Subsequent Moviefilm (1.6M). Specific to opening weekend, Tomorrow War was No. 1 across the entire entertainment industry (film & tv/streaming & theatrical) for social conversation/interest (TV-I) per analytics firm ListenFirst.

It's rare to see a movie that gets more ridiculous the longer it goes on, in something of a steady arc...it starts off reasonably well (except for falling 500 feet into a roof swimming pool with no problem), but man, those last 25 minutes are all kinds of stupiludicrous. (:

Entertaining, yes -- who doesn't enjoy Pratt, Strahovski, and Simmons?  But I'd give it a C overall.

Dan

Finally watched it tonight and it was a lot of fun. The "internal logic" of the movie didn't make a lot of sense, but the characters and performances elevated the material. 

I loved J.K. Simmons being called "conspiracy theory Santa."

I'll probably watch it again, at some point.