• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about grading a comic with detached center page
3 3

46 posts in this topic

Hello, I’m new to grading and had a question. I was looking to get one of my comics graded and it has the center page detached. It’s not ripped off the staples, the page has perfect staple holes, it’s just that the staple never grabbed/attached to that page. Will that affect the grade at all? 

A completely detached or unattached centerfold will likely drop your book down to around f/vf on an otherswise nm copy. If your book presents as a mid/lower grade copy, the detached/unattached centerfold will not affect the grade. Centerfold will be noted as such by cgc on the label.

Edited by Funnybooks

I'm fairly certain that Overstreet states that a detached centerfold is only acceptable in "Good" (2.0, maybe 2.5) condition.  
CGC would grade it as high as F/VF?  That's actually kind of shocking to me.  
I'm still getting used to the vast differences between Overstreet grading and CGC standards.  

14 minutes ago, djzombi said:

I'm fairly certain that Overstreet states that a detached centerfold is only acceptable in "Good" (2.0, maybe 2.5) condition.  
I'm still getting used to the vast differences between Overstreet grading and CGC standards.  

a 2.0-2.5 is an incredibly ragged book.  A sharp book with detached centerfold would be nowhere near a 2.5.   

1 minute ago, kav said:

a 2.0-2.5 is an incredibly ragged book.  A sharp book with detached centerfold would be nowhere near a 2.5.   

Well, I would definitely consider the centerfold being ripped out and put back in loose a serious problem.  Again, I've been basing my opinions all these years (35+) on Overstreet standards.  And using that knowledge, if I bought a book that had spine creases and was graded at F/VF, with creases consistent for that grade, and brought it home to find the centerfold detached, I would be VERY upset.  

1 minute ago, djzombi said:

Well, I would definitely consider the centerfold being ripped out and put back in loose a serious problem.  Again, I've been basing my opinions all these years (35+) on Overstreet standards.  And using that knowledge, if I bought a book that had spine creases and was graded at F/VF, with creases consistent for that grade, and brought it home to find the centerfold detached, I would be VERY upset.  

They dont do grading contests anymore here but those were great training tools to learn to grade.  You can also go to buddy can you spare a grade and grade without looking at other's grade estimates and that can help.  But nothing is like a grading contest.  You get real world results and knowledge.

also some advice if you think a loose centerfold drops an otherwise decent book to a 2.5 and would get upset you could find yourself on the ebay blocked bidder list.

Just now, kav said:

also some advice if you think a loose centerfold drops an otherwise decent book to a 2.5 and would get upset you could find yourself on the ebay blocked bidder list.

I would certainly hope that kind of severe defect would be noted, or shown in the pictures.  
I've been buying comics on eBay since, what, 1999?  And haven't been "blocked" yet.  Also haven't really felt the need to return anything probably ever (as far as comics are concerned).  
I can't help but feel you're being incredibly condescending to me, but OK.  

17 minutes ago, djzombi said:

I would certainly hope that kind of severe defect would be noted, or shown in the pictures.  
I've been buying comics on eBay since, what, 1999?  And haven't been "blocked" yet.  Also haven't really felt the need to return anything probably ever (as far as comics are concerned).  
I can't help but feel you're being incredibly condescending to me, but OK.  

sorry if it came off condescending it wasnt my intent.  I often get people mad at me when I try to help them.  I've told myself to stop doing that.

On 5/30/2021 at 12:27 AM, Dj FunSize said:

Hello, I’m new to grading and had a question. I was looking to get one of my comics graded and it has the center page detached. It’s not ripped off the staples, the page has perfect staple holes, it’s just that the staple never grabbed/attached to that page. Will that affect the grade at all? 

........centrefold detached

strange advent 210z600.jpg

1 minute ago, mrc said:

........centrefold detached

strange advent 210z600.jpg

what do you think blue label grade would be?  I'm at maybe 6.0.

53 minutes ago, djzombi said:

4 minutes ago, kav said:

what do you think blue label grade would be?  I'm at maybe 6.0.

I’ll stand by my original statement that a copy can grade up to a fine/vf 6.0/7.0 at best in a blue label if we’re talking about cgc, so, I’m in agreement with @kav 

Edited by Funnybooks

12 minutes ago, kav said:

sorry if it came off condescending it wasnt my intent.  I often get people mad at me when I try to help them.  I've told myself to stop doing that.

Thanks for that  :)  
Honestly, much appreciated  :) 
Happy collecting!  And don't stop trying to be helpful, especially to "newbies"!  

3 minutes ago, djzombi said:

Thanks for that  :)  
Honestly, much appreciated  :) 
Happy collecting!  And don't stop trying to be helpful, especially to "newbies"!  

Thx.  I mean I've interacted with you before and I like the way you post I was just thinking like "Omg if this guy is way undergrading this could cause serious problems for him not just detached ceneterfold but everything" thats when I jammed my foot in mouth due to my flexibility.

1 minute ago, Funnybooks said:

We’re all here to learn

When i showed up here I didnt even know what a slab was.  I thought you should erase grease pencil and replace staples.