• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM: Thor 165
3 3

21 posts in this topic

PGM Thor.  Pages are at least off-white (if not worse). Damage around edges. Scuff marks on cover.  Back is dirty / scuffed. Everything is intact.

Worthwhile getting it CGC graded?

Thx for your time and input!

20210530_140509.jpg

20210530_140523.jpg

20210530_140540.jpg

20210530_140550.jpg

20210530_140618.jpg

20210530_140628.jpg

20210530_140635.jpg

20210530_140750.jpg

20210530_140649.jpg

20210530_140830.jpg

20210530_140839.jpg

20210530_140915.jpg

Edited by Dave-57

Nice book. Mine is much rougher having been my uncle's which then became a reader copy for all the grandkids at the old farmhouse. Until I snagged it for my collection when I was 13 or 14. 

On 6/7/2021 at 8:39 AM, Funnybooks said:

4.5 as is

5.0 after C&P

Somewhat off topic (please don't hate me), when a comic is sent to pressing by CGC (or CBCS for that matter) does it include cleaning? I don't think I've seen it as a separate service.

4 minutes ago, Dave-57 said:

Somewhat off topic (please don't hate me), when a comic is sent to pressing by CGC (or CBCS for that matter) does it include cleaning? I don't think I've seen it as a separate service.

You can press a book without cleaning

You can clean a book without pressing

Often times, these services are done simultaneously unless you plan to just press or clean a very small specific part of a book...pressing a single defect such as a single slight corner bend that does not break color but the rest of book is pristine, etc... or cleaning a small smudge on an otherwise perfect wrap, etc...

Thank you for the response, Funnybooks.  However, I don't think your answer addresses my question.  I see how cleaning and pressing are two different processes. I was wondering if you send a comic to CGC for pressing, do they clean it (if necessary) as part of that service?  I don't think I saw a cleaning option.

25 minutes ago, Dave-57 said:

Thank you for the response, Funnybooks.  However, I don't think your answer addresses my question.  I see how cleaning and pressing are two different processes. I was wondering if you send a comic to CGC for pressing, do they clean it (if necessary) as part of that service?  I don't think I saw a cleaning option.

You need to request either or both service(s) though CCS when you submit books to CGC for grading. Pressing or cleaning  is not done automatically with the grading of any book that you submit to CgC...two different services that are owned by the same company that require separate fees…alacarte if you will…

All options are on the forms you fill out

CGC Services & Fees | CGC (cgccomics.com)

CCS Pressing | CGC (cgccomics.com)

CGC Services & Fees | CGC (cgccomics.com)

My Submissions | Account | CGC (cgccomics.com)

Edited by Funnybooks

Thanks again, Funnybooks. I checked out the links you so helpfully provided. I did see this information before, but being a newbie to this whole process I was probably a bit overwhelmed with the choices at the time.  I see now that under pressing it actually says, "Dry cleaning a comic to remove soiling and any unwanted substance is also considered a non-restorative process, and is included in the CCS pressing service when necessary."  So I was incorrect when I mentioned I didn't see this information. I had, but didn't realize it. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Now back to the regular programming :)

8 hours ago, Dave-57 said:

Thanks again, Funnybooks. I checked out the links you so helpfully provided. I did see this information before, but being a newbie to this whole process I was probably a bit overwhelmed with the choices at the time.  I see now that under pressing it actually says, "Dry cleaning a comic to remove soiling and any unwanted substance is also considered a non-restorative process, and is included in the CCS pressing service when necessary."  So I was incorrect when I mentioned I didn't see this information. I had, but didn't realize it. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Now back to the regular programming :)

All good...it's a fair amount of information to digest. The "easiest" way to learn or gain experience is to perhaps start with a single book or two of lower "value" to minimize any regrets or mistakes. It's not the most economical way to go when you factor in shipping and time but you'll learn how the sausage is made and you'll be better informed for any future submissions. I urge you to check the threads on this forum. The collectors here are very knowledgeable or are at least very opinionated. lol

I ended up sending this book to CBCS as they had a Canadian address to send to. They have since gotten rid of the Canadian address and I have been waiting 14 months so far. It has been in shipping mode for a couple of weeks, but no FedEx details so I assume it hasn't left the facility. Anxious to get it back.